Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Long term rental is it possible in Thailand

Was wondering how easy it would be to rent a house in Thailand long term?
    My wife and her family don't have any land to build a house on, So we are considering the rental option.

I'm not retiring for another ten years or so, And have plenty of time hopefully to plan things for the future. We have both decided we want to live in Thailand.
    I have been quoted silly money for some land in Phetchabun from where my wife comes from, We may even move to another part of Thailand.

Looking for any advice from anyone that maybe renting a property in Thailand long term.
    Not counting out the idea of building our own house, Just trying to plan things now.

Alan's post on his house build just got me thinking about things.
    Holty

Old Hand มือเก่า

[QUOTE=holty;289307

I have been quoted silly money for some land in Phetchabun from where my wife comes from, We may even move to another part of Thailand.
    Alan's post on his house build just got me thinking about things.
    Holty[/QUOT

Holty,

1. Most Thai's will put the rental price up if they see a foreigner who's interested.
    With buying land, just be careful that you don't get stitched up. Because foreigner's can't own any land.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

I paid about £6000 for just under a rai about 6 years ago plus the wall around it, but as TE says you will never own the land.
    I would love to live in Thailand but not owning the land ,cannot get health insurance at my age so we will just be visitors.
    My rent in England is £900 per month, what would you expect to pay in Thailand?
    Melnathan

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by melnathan View Post
    I paid about £6000 for just under a rai about 6 years ago plus the wall around it, but as TE says you will never own the land.
    I would love to live in Thailand but not owning the land ,cannot get health insurance at my age so we will just be visitors.
    My rent in England is £900 per month, what would you expect to pay in Thailand?
    Melnathan
    Is the land in your name ?and your wife's name?

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Wifes family just negotiated a two year rent 3 bed 2 bath large house fair amount of land with a small pool. 18,000/month near Bang Saray. Gated community.
    On our estate there is a place for rent a bit smaller land and house around 15000 but I reckon they would come down to 12000 a month again gated community with pool. Next estate you can rent 2 bed two bathroom house, small land for 12000/ month maybe they will come down a little too.
    Plenty for rent at the moment as many foreigners are in their home countries unable to return, but even when this covid 19 is over you will be able to get 3 bed 2 bathroom house around here for 15000 a month. You can pay more for a larger house and land or less for smaller one. Plenty of choice.

Rental in Thailand is simple, usually we (agents) don't take any references all we need is your ID. But...anyone falling behind doesn't have the same, or any, protection as in the UK.

I have a property company here and we handle rentals. DM me if you have any specific questions or concerns.

TE, in the wives which would be ok but when the different cultures suddenly pop up it worries me having given everything up, you are out on a limb.BUT here in England we don't have any problems except how much money goes to Mummy every month
    Melnathan

I was under the impression long term rental seemed hard compared to short term rental.

We have plenty of time before i retire, and just want to cover all my options with great thought.
    The rental got me thinking with a video i see on youtube, I will share the video.

I was discussing with my wife Nok if we do decide to buy land, Maybe best now as in Ten years time, buying land would be out of our reach.
    I'm fully aware i would never own the house, I trust my wife very much and i'm very happy. I've learnt thai culture since my wife has lived with me in the uk. I speak some thai and learning everyday.
    I personally think with the learning of culture and language our lives together will be easier.

I will give everything good research for the both of us.

Here is that video, very cheap rental

Wow really cheap! Just goes to show what you can get if you shop around. Shame about the guys pension, so the UK isn't the only country that doesn't care about its pensioners.

Wow £85 per month. That must have cost someone 1m+ baht to buy? I wonder why more foreigners don’t just rent out there?

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    Wow £85 per month. That must have cost someone 1m+ baht to buy? I wonder why more foreigners don’t just rent out there?
    I'd say so. That is so cheap. My wife says rental yields in Thailand are crap, there is the evidence. Location doesn't sound great, and would be pretty noisy with all those houses in close proximity. But hey, for the price !

When all the neighbors inevitably buy the biggest, loudest roosters they can find you mean?

Dogs ? Loud music ? Welcome to Thailand :-)

Quote Originally Posted by holty View Post
    I was under the impression long term rental seemed hard compared to short term rental......
    Not in the slightest, it's very simple, both are really. We can do a rental contract for up to three years, anything longer than that and the Chanote/NS3G (Land title) needs to have a stamp on the back to note this. Maximum lease is 30 years

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Quote Originally Posted by holty View Post
    I'm fully aware i would never own the house,
    You can own the house. You can't own the land (There is a law that allows foreigners to own land so that is possible too.You need permission from a minister in government. But that permission is extremely unlikely to be given so for all practical reasoning you won't be able to own the land)

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    Amazes me too....So many negatives in buying a house - so many Positives in renting - I wouldn't apply same logic in the UK.

Yeah very cheap, And i agree with you Ray about the proximity and the noise.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

opps i meant you cant owe the land. ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    You can own the house. You can't own the land (There is a law that allows foreigners to own land so that is possible too.You need permission from a minister in government. But that permission is extremely unlikely to be given so for all practical reasoning you won't be able to own the land)
    Although it’s quite legal for a foreigner to own the building whilst a Thai owns the land many Land Departments are refusing to allow this.

There is an obscure law that allows foreigners to own up to one Rai (1600m2), and as you say it must be signed
    off by a government minister but also the foreigner must purchase government bonds to the tune of around forty million baht. Needless to say I’ve never heard of anyone doing this !

I bought my house for the wife and daughter make sure they have somewhere to live after I am gone. However I would not buy (condo) if it was only myself, renting for a year or 6 months in different areas of Thailand would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    I bought my house for the wife and daughter make sure they have somewhere to live after I am gone. However I would not buy (condo) if it was only myself, renting for a year or 6 months in different areas of Thailand would be the way to go.
    An interesting view point.

I know renting is relatively cheap here but the rent is dead money. If you had bought a condo in your name this could willed to your wife and daughter to be sold or kept as they please after your hopefully distant demise. Hoping that property values increase again after covid the condo could be worth a lot more than you paid for it.