Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  332
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Galahad, my grandad has been over there for 15 years with no A/C the tight old codger. I literally have no idea how he survives!!

also, is the blessing ceremony where you have to walk around the house 3 times with your mattress? (i did this but have always wondered if they were taking the pee!)

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

We don't have aircon in our house. I don't like it myself and it makes you feel hotter when you go out.
    Design the house properly and have an insulated roof and I don't think you really need it.
    If it gets too bad you can just go to the 7-11
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    And I'm sure I'm not the only whose looking forward to all of the photo's of the event on here when that day arrives!!

Really pleased for you both.
    Thanks Allan, Yep I will be putting some pics on here

Quote Originally Posted by galahad View Post
    House looks great.
    Can,t see any air conditioning though? Don,t think i could survive without that over there.
    We dont have any yet! I will be getting some though. Although I tend to only use it for an hour or so on an evening just to take the edge off. I can manage it without in the cold season, the fan is fine for that. Working in Iraq helps me keep acclimatised and some 55555

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    Galahad, my grandad has been over there for 15 years with no A/C the tight old codger. I literally have no idea how he survives!!

also, is the blessing ceremony where you have to walk around the house 3 times with your mattress? (i did this but have always wondered if they were taking the pee!)
    I aint got a clue about the blessing lol, but Ohm is expecting about 75/100 people coming for a nosey. Can't wait lol!

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

One of the resident pets lol

Untitled by Wayne, on Flickr

Old Hand มือเก่า

No A/C!!! I could survive without most luxuries but no A/C in Thailand...not a hope.

Hats off if you can as I agree, it isn't healthy but I can't do it. I have air humidifiers on whilst the A/C is running. It has made a huge difference in my son's breathing.

Lights and sockets have been tested, all good, now waiting to get connected to the mains
    Sceptic tank and Water run off is in

IMG_E9282 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_E9280 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_9276 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_9250 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_9254 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_9258 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_9266 by Wayne, on Flickr

Member สมาชิก

Looking good Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealy View Post
    Looking good Wayne.
    Thanks Nealy, sent you a PM

Outside Kitchen and toilet is done now

IMG_8840 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_8982 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_9233 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_E9269 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_E9272 by Wayne, on Flickr

The same workers who did the kitchen are now starting on my wall and fence

Looks like you're going to have a great outdoor party area, little bit of a trip hazard in the middle of the kitchen floor though, or is it a left over from the builders playing curling

Quote Originally Posted by KhunIanB-UK View Post
    Looks like you're going to have a great outdoor party area, little bit of a trip hazard in the middle of the kitchen floor though, or is it a left over from the builders playing curling
    Thanks, hahaha, its the well which we use for topping up the ponds and we are going to use it for the emergency back up for if the mains water goes off and my 4000 litre water tank (which is what we are getting) is empty
    Ohm has put a table over it....don't tell HSE lol

Connected to the mains electric now.

IMG_9353 by Wayne, on Flickr

The day/night light sensor is working great, now we have the power flowing

IMG_E9375 by Wayne, on Flickr

Work has started on our wall

IMG_E9364 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_E9365 by Wayne, on Flickr

Member สมาชิก

It looks good Wayne..are you happy how things have turned out ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nealy View Post
    It looks good Wayne..are you happy how things have turned out ?
    Thanks Nealy

Yes overall, but there a a few little things which still need doing to finish the house off, some of the workers have produced some great work...like the guy who did my coving and skirting, he did it all free hand without the use of a mitre box and 95% of his joins are spot on. But then you get the guys smoothing the walls inside and out and there work was not very good and we are still telling the company to get it sorted.
    Would I use the company again..NO. Work have been very slow in places and there as been no plan ahead to keep the workers flowing to get their jobs done. On a plus side the company has used a lot of sub contractors to do quite a lot of the work, so now we have the phone numbers of people who have done a great job and we would use again. The boss of the company is not very keen on me or Ohm because we have kept badgering him all the way through the process. Ohm has done an awesome job at managing the build...with no previous experience lol.
    But....i believe it could have been a lot worse that is has been, and me and Ohm have decided, ceremony on the 10th Nov and we are living there whether the cosmetic stuff is completed or not. The Monks are booked

Wayne

Member สมาชิก

Thanks Wayne for the honest reply.

As a tradesman l have very high standards, much higher than any Thai trades person, there are things like plastering which l would have to employ someone but only after l have inspected previous work they have completed.

I am impressed with the photos you have posted and the courage you have for undertaking such a project.

Enjoy

Member สมาชิก

We built a house in Chiang Rai province a few months back. Thai tradesman never seem to be in a hurry. They got the house to 95% so it was liveable in, then the remainder took a while to get finished. They had more than one house on the go concurrently. Mistake was I think that they had 100% of the money for 95% of the work. Lack of experience on my wife's part, she puts too much trust in people, but it did get finished in the end so no problems. But next time she will do differently ! The quality is remarkably good, much better than I expected, no complaints. But the water supply sometimes has low pressure or on the odd occasion stops completely. The house next door has a tank, for good reason. On the electricity side I think the voltage fluctuates a bit too. That I believe is pretty normal !

@ray
    I have never noticed the voltage fluctuating round where i am, they did however ask how many amps we wanted when they connected us to the mains..5, 15, 30 amp, we went for 15 on the recommendation of the guy doing it once Ohm had told him what we were having in the house
    We are having a tank, I am getting a 4000 litre, the tank will be filled by the mains and the water pumped from the tank via a filter system, although i am not filtering the water for drinking, just to be able to clean your teeth with

IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    Photos OCT 2019: Buriram Province - Thai MOTO GP (Chang International Circuit) and Wat Rahan at Ban Dan (more Peacocks than you can shake a stick at).
    bangkok mags

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    @ray
    I have never noticed the voltage fluctuating round where i am, they did however ask how many amps we wanted when they connected us to the mains..5, 15, 30 amp, we went for 15 on the recommendation of the guy doing it once Ohm had told him what we were having in the house
    We are having a tank, I am getting a 4000 litre, the tank will be filled by the mains and the water pumped from the tank via a filter system, although i am not filtering the water for drinking, just to be able to clean your teeth with
    There is a certain other forum with an electricty sub-forum, and that is awash with comments on voltage drops and brown-outs.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I've measured the mains voltage in my house and has been down to 190 volts at times.
    I would have gone for the 30 amp meter as well.

@ Sisaket....Very jealous you were at the MOTO Gp lol, I bet it was great

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Tia View Post
    I've measured the mains voltage in my house and has been down to 190 volts at times.
    I would have gone for the 30 amp meter as well.
    Any particular reason Dave, as when Ohm explained what we would be using the bloke said 15 would be enough. I am assuming we can go for the bigger amp if we need it?

Member สมาชิก

I'm no expert. but 15 amps seems tiny. Is it not watts = volts x amps ? So 240v x 15a = 3,600w ? I mean, not that you need heaters in Thailand, but a single heater can use 2,000w. If I'm totally wrong, please let me know !! Many UK plugs have 13A fuses.