Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Best Thai mobile service for occasional trips?

It's been quite some time since we last visited this subject. What are people views on the most cost effective mobile service (including data) for occasional visits to Thailand?
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

I use Dtac Tobias but.......get her indoors to check out the deals online in Thai. What you are offered at the airport on arrival is almost certainly a lot more expensive than what is actually available. As is the norm, the best deals are only available in Thai language - its akin to the best currency exchanges being located next to the public transport links to the airport.

I use Happy DTAC and go to the shop in Central (Pattaya) on arrival to sort out my internet package.
    Last December I paid 450 baht (plus tax) for 4GB of data a month which was ample for using Facebook, You Tube (occasionally) and LINE for communications.

I also had WIFI in my condo so was on that a fair bit as well and did any major stuff (downloads/updates) whilst on that.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

I was using DTAC originally and then found that Truemove H was much faster in my wife's village.

Things were changing fast back in 2015. Between April and October when I made three trips they were sticking up towers everywhere. I went in April with very poor speeds and patchy access and went in October and had 4G.

Just a word of caution I went to a phone shop in a mall (can't remember name but one of the major ones) to buy a Thai sim card and the guy serving me, who I trusted would be careful, bent my UK sim card.
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

If you're only visiting Bangkok, you're not likely to notice much difference between AIS, True and DTAC.

Nationwide, DTAC are the weakest for network coverage. More black spots than a Dalmatian. AIS and True now have pretty good 4G/LTE in urban areas, and AIS have always been top regarding network coverage. I would personally choose AIS between the two, but there's probably very little between them. They both also have a large number of free wi-fi hotspots in shopping centres and other built-up areas.

Regards
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

I use True and use there "always on connection" 3g/4g which costs 212 baht a month including vat. Even when the first 1gb has been reached they only throttle the speed slightly as it still runs youtube etc. Unbeatable frankly although probably ais and dtac have similar
    Call uk landlines for 1 baht a minute.

The short code for the data is *900*1801# and then call...activates within 60 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    I use Dtac Tobias but.......get her indoors to check out the deals online in Thai. What you are offered at the airport on arrival is almost certainly a lot more expensive than what is actually available. As is the norm, the best deals are only available in Thai language - its akin to the best currency exchanges being located next to the public transport links to the airport.
    All the deals are clearly advertised in English on the relevant True DTAC and AIS websites

As I use True will put link to their website on data etc

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topp...ackage_en.html

Quote Originally Posted by maokaang View Post
    Nationwide, DTAC are the weakest for network coverage. More black spots than a Dalmatian.
    Not arguing Paul but I've never noticed that. I've been with DTAC for years and chose them because at the time the only 2 that worked well were either them or AIS and I didn't like the Taksin link with AIS in those days.

When in Thailand I'm in the sticks and get an excellent 4g signal and connect my laptop through my phone as I have no internet at home yet. Last year I drove from Bangkok to Udon Thani and Buriram to Khao Yai, streaming music via bluetooth from my phone to the car music system all the time and only remember any 'buffering' on one or two occasions.

What I regard as poor coverage is O2's service in the UK which, in real world (rather than their coverage map) terms is disgusting in 2018.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

I use AIS, had the same phone number for about 3.5 years. Never had a problem with it, I use the 550 baht unlimited internet at the 6mb speed and I use it like what Flip says above....connect phone to my Mac and I am good to go. It also saves me paying for the phone internet and then buying the internet in the apartment. I use it for streaming, downloading, updating etc, I have never has a problem with them
    http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/nonstop.html

Member สมาชิก

I have used AIS for over ten years, am a Gold Serenade Customer, and as far as I am concerned provide the best coverage, competitive packages and superb customer services.

Coverage in Thailand seems to be far better than the UK no matter which provider you use. So for occasional trips - as Tobias is asking, I think it comes down to who offers the best deal. Just repeat what I said above - for an occasional user its better to get a Thai speaker to check out the deals. I usually renew my previous deal when I arrive at Suvarnabhumi but that deal is not being offered to the other tourists queueing with me who are paying significantly more. That's with DTAC, I don't know if the other providers operate the same practice. I've deleted the messages from DTAC so can't remember the precise deal but I do know its 399 a month and I've never reached the data limit or got charged for additional calls. I suspect a teenager might run out of data though - along with a cricked neck.

Coverage in Thailand seems to be far better than the UK no matter which provider you use. So for occasional trips - as Tobias is asking, I think it comes down to who offers the best deal. Just repeat what I said above - for an occasional user its better to get a Thai speaker to check out the deals. I usually renew my previous deal when I arrive at Suvarnabhumi but that deal is not being offered to the other tourists queueing with me who are paying significantly more. That's with DTAC, I don't know if the other providers operate the same practice. I've deleted the messages from DTAC so can't remember the precise deal but I do know its 399 a month and I've never reached the data limit or got charged for additional calls. I suspect a teenager might run out of data though - along with a cricked neck.
    Flip I'm being polite but why again do you suggest asking thai speakers to get the best deal ??
    They are all on the True, DTAC and AIS websites with the relevant short code to activate whatever package you want.
    Earlier in thread I put the True ones up but both other networks are likewise in clear English. If you havent got a relevant sim the airport desks sell for 90 baht which includes some calling credit.
    No need to buy any packages from those desks. Add the credit and hit the short code and done deal sorted

Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Flip I'm being polite but why again do you suggest asking thai speakers to get the best deal ??
    Wunderbar, I've had my DTAC number and SIM for around 10 years - I don't buy a new one at the airport. However, whatever deal you have, you can renew it at the airport which is what I do.

Whatever deal I've been offered - either online or at the airport desks, they don't match the one I'm on. I only found out about my deal from my then wife because its the same deal she's on. It was also her that told me that they don't make such deals readily available to tourists. I can't find my deal online either in Thai or in English. The first time it was set up, my ex did it by calling customer services and asking them for the same deal she had. Just relaying my experience - not asking for an argument about it.

Wunderbar, I've had my DTAC number and SIM for around 10 years - I don't buy a new one at the airport. However, whatever deal you have, you can renew it at the airport which is what I do.

Whatever deal I've been offered - either online or at the airport desks, they don't match the one I'm on. I only found out about my deal from my then wife because its the same deal she's on. It was also her that told me that they don't make such deals readily available to tourists. I can't find my deal online either in Thai or in English. The first time it was set up, my ex did it by calling customer services and asking them for the same deal she had. Just relaying my experience - not asking for an argument about it.
    Lol forget airport desks. Not relevant whatsoever other then needing a sim which you dont anyway. Why you claim thais have deals not available to tourists I cannot imagine.

Click on "add on packages" on the left apart from all the rest. Perfect English. For anyone who has AIS just look at their relevant website

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pr...ed-social.html
    Last edited by wunderbar; 8th Apr 2018 at 07:44.

Pin or save this website. No need to speak to anyone or go to call centres just hit the short code

https://thaiprepaidcard.com/3g-data-...dtac-and-true/

Why would I want to forget airport desks? I need to renew my package as soon as I arrive. I don't claim anything, its a fact - the deal I get is not available on any website I have to request its renewal each time I arrive.

The OP asked for our views on the most cost effective mobile service, I have made my suggestions as have others and you are entitled to post your views too wunderbar. The OP can choose which he wishes to pursue if any. I don't see any need for your arrogance.
    Last edited by Flip; 8th Apr 2018 at 11:00.

Why would I want to forget airport desks? I need to renew my package as soon as I arrive. I don't claim anything, its a fact - the deal I get is not available on any website I have to request its renewal each time I arrive.

The OP asked for our views on the most cost effective mobile service, I have made my suggestions as have others and you are entitled to post your views too wunderbar. The OP can choose which he wishes to pursue if any. I don't see any need for your arrogance.
    The short codes for every package are listed on relevant websites. Have already listed true and dtac and subsequently all 3 providers on one website which I couldnt find initially.
    Whatever package YOU have is listed somewhere amongst them.
    Nobody but nobody goes to the airport desks unless they are desperate for a new sim (fair enough) when a short code punched in will do the same job.

Whatever you HAVE got if you're asking at the airport desk to activate it you're being rammed for at least double bubble of the short code doing the same job.

I call that stupidity not arrogance. To add in addition Thai "speakers" dont get preferable rates or packages either

You are entitled to believe/think what you want wunderbra :-).

I'm quite happy with the package I get. I pay the same whether I re-activate my package online, over the phone or at the airport. I cannot activate it using my phone as it automatically cancels if auto renewal fails and as its not generally available, I have to get it done manually.

The OP now has a range of options to look at.

Rookie มือใหม่

Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Pin or save this website. No need to speak to anyone or go to call centres just hit the short code

https://thaiprepaidcard.com/3g-data-...dtac-and-true/

Great link. We have always just used the airport desk for a SIM for our usual 3-week stays. Yes it costs more, but it is a tiny tiny part of the overall cost of the trip and it is worth it to us for the convenience. Next time perhaps we might consider buying outside the airport.