Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Retirement visa

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

1. If you meet the requirements you shouldn't have a problem getting the O-A here - just make sure they will accept your private pension income. Caller has stated you shouldn't have a problem with that.

2. Alternatively, again as per post No.4, if you obtain a 60 day tourist visa you can apply to change your visa status to a 90 day O from within Thailand. With that O you can then apply for a retirement extension.

3. However, as I pointed out in post No. 39, I have recently been informed that you don't actually need to enter on a tourist visa, you can enter without a visa on the normal 30 day visa waiver and apply to change your status from that to an O.

On both 2 & 3 above you would be applying for the O on the basis of retirement. As you have raised the issue of London stating that you need to be 65 for that, that's a new one to me but I'll check if that's also the case when applying in Thailand for you and come back.

For now, feast your eyes on this:

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

If it comes up in Thai, click on Eng in the top R/H corner. Also, ignore the bit about Monks etc. - the actual title is in the blue box.

There is an O visa for applicants aged 65 and over on a state pension.

The OA visa is for over 50's not on a state pension.

The Thai immigration page you have quoted is for an OA visa. Worth considering by ADS1 is that if he applies via London and if he manages his visa as needed, that for almost 2 years he will not have to show any savings in a Thai bank account (if not using monthly income).
    'Tis me

Rookie มือใหม่

Am I correct in assuming then, if I apply for the OA visa via London the proof of funds only needs to be in my UK account, as I obviously won't have a Thai account at this point ?

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    The Thai immigration page you have quoted is for an OA visa.
    No its not, its for changing immigration status to a Non O from either a visa exempt entry or a Tourist/Transit Visa. That visa is issued for 90 days after which its extended for 12 months. (Non O is clearly stated in the title)

ADS1, I've made enquiries and although, as stated in the Thai Immigration advice I posted, you can change status from a 30 day exempt entry, it can be very difficult due to the timings and you'd probably end up having to apply for a 30 day extension. I'm advised that the best way is to enter on a 60 day Tourist Visa.

Apparently The Thai Embassy in London is the only embassy in the world that places an over 65 age restriction on a Non-O for retirement. You won't have a problem applying for a Non O in Thailand.

So you have 2 choices:

a). As Caller has stated, if you are eligible to apply for an O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy in London, that appears to be your easiest route.

b). Obtain a 60 day single entry Tourist Visa and apply to change visa status to Non-O in Thailand for the purpose of retirement. You will be issued with a 90 day Non-O at first which you then extend for 12 months.

I'm giving up after this. The financial requirements in the Thai immigration website are exactly the same for an O visa based on retirement over the age of 50, which happens to be known as O followed by A. Hence my visa is officially marked like this: 0-A. It's one of the sub-category's under the general heading of O. Although I find it interesting that if applying in Thailand, they don't seem interested if you are a murderer on the run, or carry the half dozen prescribed diseases that would bar you entering Thailand if applying via a Thai Embassy.

Anyway, good luck ADS1, as you can see, getting advice can be like entering a minefield.
    'Tis me

Jeez, nobody's saying the financial requirements are any different! But, the OP may have some issue with applying for an O-A in the UK as he asked them about a Non O.

All I'm saying is that he can apply for a Non O in Thailand without reaching the age of 65. The Thai Embassy in London is apparently the only one in the world that states he must be 65.

An O-A can only be issued in the applicant's home country or where they have legal residence but can be extended each year in Thailand which I'd guess is why Caller's visa is marked O-A.

There are actually differences between an O-A visa and a Non O.
    Last edited by Flip; 12th Jul 2018 at 11:51.