Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: UK visa

Rookie มือใหม่

Default UK visa

I'm very new to this and would like some advice I recently married in thailand and would like to bring my wife to uk for a holiday how do I go about this and is it as difficult as what i hear

Member สมาชิก

Hi Stephen and welcome to the forum. In my humble opinion I'd suggest you read through old threads on the forum to familiarise your self with the process and then ask more specific questions on the bits your not sure of.
    It can be a simple process or an absolute nightmare.
    I was in your position earlier this year and now have successfully been granted a holiday visa for my girlfriend so your in the right place and asking the right people. Good luck

Member สมาชิก

Hello,
    All the info you need is on this forum.
    You will always get help if you need it.
    My advise would be to keep every bit of information you can about your relationship and to start getting all your wifes documents translated into English if you have'nt already done so ie Change of name,address,birth certificate and decree of absolute if she was married before stuff like that.
    Collect all the info and put it in a file along with your bank statements,wage slips,P60 etc.
    I did'nt have a clue what to do before i come to this forum and i got all the info from here.Done a few Visit visas before eventually doing a settlement visa with help from people on here.
    Good luck

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Hi Stephen,

Welcome, I suspect that what you may have heard is that it can be particularly difficult for a Thai woman, married to a British citizen to obtain a Visit Visa. There is some truth to that but not if you approach it correctly.

In addition to all the usual things needed for a successful Visit Visa application you need to convince the authorities, in this case an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO), that you are not trying to circumvent the high fees incurred with a Settlement Visa and your wife just disappear once she gets here.

There may be reasons why your wife doesn't live here with you already or you there. You may be planning on retiring to or working in Thailand. There may be other reasons and it would be helpful if you could please state your position so that members here can advise you accordingly. The amount of time you've known her, how long you've been married, her family postition and any employment details would also be helpful as would details of any other visa applications she may have made in the past.

Failing that, the one thing a lot of people point out to the ECO is that the purpose of the visit is for your wife to learn about life in the UK and our culture before deciding where you will both eventually settle. Another string to this but its getting a little well worn, is to state that your wife is aware of the consequences of not complying with the conditions of a Visit Visa and as its likley that she may wish to settle in the UK in the future, she would of course, comply with those conditions. If you think that applies to your wife then by all means use it but try to find a different way of putting it.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfather View Post
    Hello,
    All the info you need is on this forum.
    You will always get help if you need it.
    My advise would be to keep every bit of information you can about your relationship and to start getting all your wifes documents translated into English if you have'nt already done so ie Change of name,address,birth certificate and decree of absolute if she was married before stuff like that.
    Collect all the info and put it in a file along with your bank statements,wage slips,P60 etc.
    I did'nt have a clue what to do before i come to this forum and i got all the info from here.Done a few Visit visas before eventually doing a settlement visa with help from people on here.
    Good luck
    Nothing wrong with starting to collect all of those items if the OP has future plans Dogfather but with the exception of the OP's bank statements, none of that is required for a Visit Visa. I think you may have missed the type of visa he's asking about.