Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  44
Dislikes Dislikes:  12
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Divorce

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ vanbobble's Avatar

Default Divorce

Any body know a decent thai divorce lawyer please?

It might help if you state the province in which proceedings are to take place.

No point getting a recommendation for a lawyer in Chiang Rai if the court is in Surat Thani.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Thanks.. village ceremony took place in Surin, was registered at amphur in Bangkok. Not sure if will end up in court just need advice initially

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

You shouldn't need a lawyer for a divorce if you both agree on all points - 30 minutes at the Amphur and its all done. If there's property involved and you don't think your going to get your fair share, I would say certainly use a lawyer.

I only know one that I would trust and he's not too far away from Surin - Isaan Lawyers in Nakhon Ratchasima. Western managing director who is a lawyer - although officially he can't practice law in Thailand there are Thai lawyers in the practice and he runs the show anyway. Google them for details.

Cheers Flip. I am hoping will not need one but not really sure if we can agree on things, does not help that she ❇❇❇❇❇❇ed off withoit saying anything! I will give them a try

Strike while the iron's hot. Onward and upward!!

Oh, and when I say "not far from Surin", I'm talking relatively of course .

Damn right Flip! Anyway I am ok got good friends to keep me busy

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by vanbobble View Post
    does not help that she ❇❇❇❇❇❇ed off withoit saying anything!
    Sorry to hear that. I think we got married around the same time and got settlement visas, ILR and citizenship all done all within a few weeks of each other. I was having some issues with my wife today and, with the moodiness and stubbornness, I'm always aware that she could just flounce off instead of considering things more calmly and reasonably.

Old Hand มือเก่า

The whole Men are from Mars thing must have been written by someone who never witnessed a Thai/Farang relationship. Even the women in my family are dumbfounded at times.

Hi LWATG.. yeah it is a shame but we had not been happy for quite a while, I was trying to do everything I could to make her happy but alas it was not meant to be. It did me a fair bit of damage mentally over the last year or so and I don't think I could have let her go.

If you are unhappy mate and cannot make things work get out of it before things get unreasonable

I feel like a new man.. and there are plenty more fish in the sea!

I feel like a new man!
    Got you that bad has it?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Hi LWATG.. yeah it is a shame but we had not been happy for quite a while, I was trying to do everything I could to make her happy but alas it was not meant to be. It did me a fair bit of damage mentally over the last year or so and I don't think I could have let her go.

If you are unhappy mate and cannot make things work get out of it before things get unreasonable
    Thanks for posting this, I’m in a similar situation and it’s easy to feel like the only one as I think most on here disappear when things go wrong.
    For me, if it was a relationship with a UK resident it would’ve been over long ago but with her having nothing in LOS and a child starting high school here, it makes any break complicated.

You are not the only one mate i am very lucky we did not have children and that she has made it easy for me to accept.. i have found out she has run off with a girl from thailand who dresses like a guy!!! Cannot get much more final than that

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

We don’t have any children either but I am ‘dad’ to both kids from her previous Thai/Thai relationship. Having seen her son through high school I could send him out in the big bad world having done more than any of his family, but as I said her daughter is just starting and I doubt I could afford an international school in Thailand.

Thai girls/women going with a ‘Tom’ certainly isn’t new but I have heard recently that it’s on the increase, or at least seems to be from expats living there.

Best of luck to you.

Divorce by mutual consent in Thailand...

I have read some posts on here stating providing it is done at an Amphur / Ket in Thailand it will be legally binding here in the UK, however I have come across something on a .gov website which I was hoping someone could clarify.

"4. SET13.4 Recognition of overseas divorces which took place on or after 4 April 1988
    Under the Family Law Act 1986 an overseas divorce obtained by means of judicial or other proceedings is recognised in the UK only if:
    · it is effective under the law of the country in which it was obtained; and
    · at the relevant date (that is, the date on which proceedings were begun), either party was either habitually resident or domiciled in that country or was a national of that country.
    The term ‘judicial or other proceedings’ requires that there should have been some formal proceedings, either before a court or some other formal body recognised by the state for that purpose (for example, in Pakistan the Union Council). It is an important aspect that the judicial or other body should be impartial as to the outcome of the proceedings.
    An overseas divorce obtained otherwise than by means of proceedings is recognised in the UK if:
    · it is effective under the law of the country in which it was obtained; and
    · at the relevant date (that is, the date on which the divorce was obtained), both parties were domiciled in that country or one was domiciled there and the other was domiciled in a country which recognised the divorce; and
    · neither party had been habitually resident in the UK throughout the period of one year immediately preceding that date.
    The term ‘otherwise than by means of proceedings’ covers, for example, a meeting of family members convened to dissolve a West African customary marriage or to hear the pronouncement of talaq."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    She is currently in Thailand, and a thai national (albeit she has uk citizenship too).. can you confirm that that the Divroce by mutual consent at an Amphur / Ket falls under the definition of 'judicial or other proceedings' or ' other formal body recognised by the state for that purpose'?

I understand that a divorce agreement in both languages will be needed, but unsure whether any of this info needs transferring onto the official document at the amphur, or if it gets attached to it.. should I be weary of any info being transferred and take a translator, or at least a trustworthy friend who speaks Thai and English?

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by livingwithathaigirl View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I think we got married around the same time and got settlement visas, ILR and citizenship all done all within a few weeks of each other. I was having some issues with my wife today and, with the moodiness and stubbornness, I'm always aware that she could just flounce off instead of considering things more calmly and reasonably.
    This is what happens to most people who are married to Thai people. As soon as they get their green card, then with in a couple of months they will change.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Old Hand มือเก่า

You are not the only one mate i am very lucky we did not have children and that she has made it easy for me to accept.. i have found out she has run off with a girl from thailand who dresses like a guy!!! Cannot get much more final than that
    I bet she knew this person a long time ago.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Sorry to read your marriage has ended.

We have no control over others feelings, which impacts us when we look to others to provide us with happiness through life. We cannot rely on others for long term stability, or burden them with the fact our happiness depends on them. This is probably one of the biggest facts of life reading about buddhism has taught me.

Side note,
    One of the nicest people I've met is a Thai lady who identifies as being a man - who has a girlfriend. It's made me realise that gender isn't always as clear cut as simply having male or female genitalia like it was expected to be in times past.
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

cheers for the replies guys

referring back to my previous post, I really need someone to clarify regarding..

"She is currently in Thailand, and a thai national (albeit she has uk citizenship too).. can you confirm that that the Divroce by mutual consent at an Amphur / Ket falls under the definition of 'judicial or other proceedings' or ' other formal body recognised by the state for that purpose'?

I understand that a divorce agreement in both languages will be needed, but unsure whether any of this info needs transferring onto the official document at the amphur, or if it gets attached to it.. should I be weary of any info being transferred and take a translator, or at least a trustworthy friend who speaks Thai and English?"

This is what happens to most people who are married to Thai people. As soon as they get their green card, then with in a couple of months they will change.
    Utter twaddle
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen