Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    They do a lifetime policy and one which you can have till you are 75 (if i remember correctly)
    I note however, that the 2 polices illustrated on their website are for those under 60 at inception.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    As things stand, with the amount of trips I make and the prices quoted, I not longer see it making financial sense/affordable to have insurance and therefore don't take it out. There could be problems ahead though - a lot of talk in the Thai press about making medical insurance compulsory for tourists.

I've just been reading how much people have been quoted when they have declared having treatment for serious problems, and even if they're now in the clear they're quoted anything between £500 to £1600.
    So someone who travels every few months couldn't possibly afford to take out cover could they?
    I've always had age and health on my side when getting a quote, but as I get older I'm wondering at what point my age and health issues will deter me from considering travel insurance, which to be honest, worries me, but like you it won't put me off travelling - unless like you say it becomes compulsory, let's hope by then quotes are generally more sensible/affordable.
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

I note however, that the 2 polices illustrated on their website are for those under 60 at inception.
    That didn't really register with me mate as I am under that by a few years, getting close but not quite there yet lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    That didn't really register with me mate as I am under that by a few years, getting close but not quite there yet lol
    Oh, I've a long way to go yet - I was just pointing that out for other members

That's a rather pompous statement and I don't know where you get your figures from.

Maybe I'm not as selfish as you think.
    ......and perhaps you'd be better advised to actual read what was written and you certainly were not quoted mate. I added a comment to the thread in general. Check yourself so why you quoted me I dont know
    Pompous....next time before jumping in calm down first might be an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    ......and perhaps you'd be better advised to actual read what was written and you certainly were not quoted mate. I added a comment to the thread in general. Check yourself so why you quoted me I dont know
    Pompous....next time before jumping in calm down first might be an idea

I quoted Flip then you posted after so from Flip's perspective it looked like we were both berating him. I sometimes quote someone intending it to be a 'jumping board' for putting across my thoughts.
    In this instance I shouldn't have quoted Flip, just posted then it would've been more obvious I just meant 'for me personally'.
    So sorry Flip, no chastising was meant by me, or Strawman who was drawn into this by my post which quoted you

No need for apologies Marshall - I stand by my statement that it was a pompous post. Claiming that people are selfish because they don't have insurance without knowing their situation is simply wrong. Yes, people would be better off with insurance each time they travel but there's a whole host of reasons why people don't get insurance cover for travel.

The real culprits behind people not getting covered are the insurance industry - its used to be that the size of the insurance pool paid for those unfortunate to have some kind of problem. These days insurance companies seem to have narrowed the field and only want to cover the really low risk groups which makes it very expensive for the rest of us.

I wrote to one company asking them why insurance for me was so expensive when they specifically excluded my existing illness - no reply. I guess there was no reply because they just don't have one. There is absolutely no reason why my illness should make me a higher risk than anyone else. I have no physical effects from my illness yet, I am not debilitated in any way so provided they exclude existing conditions there is no reason why I am any more of a risk then anyone else of my age.

Being expected to pay a massively higher figure also ires me because I have had potentially curative treatment - it is possible that I've seen the back of the dreaded disease. They didn't ask for any details - simply the fact that I'd been diagnosed seemed to be enough for them. They seem to have really narrowed their criteria and there are far less boxes for you to fit in to - its a case of either high risk or low risk, nothing inbetween.
    Last edited by Flip; 26th Aug 2018 at 17:45.

The real culprits behind people not getting covered are the insurance industry - its used to be that the size of the insurance pool paid for those unfortunate to have some kind of problem. These days insurance companies seem to have narrowed the field and only want to cover the really low risk groups which makes it very expensive for the rest of us.

I wrote to one company asking them why insurance for me was so expensive when they specifically excluded my existing illness - no reply. I guess there was no reply because they just don't have one. There is absolutely no reason why my illness should make me a higher risk than anyone else. I have no physical effects from my illness yet, I am not debilitated in any way so provided they exclude existing conditions there is no reason why I am any more of a risk then anyone else of my age.

Being expected to pay a massively higher figure also ires me because I have had potentially curative treatment - it is possible that I've seen the back of the dreaded disease. They didn't ask for any details - simply the fact that I'd been diagnosed seemed to be enough for them. They seem to have really narrowed their criteria and there are far less boxes for you to fit in to - its a case of either high risk or low risk, nothing inbetween.
    Yes the majority low risk used to off set the high risk yet now they want their cake and eat it.
    I asked why my insurance had gone up a fair bit after three years of not claiming and the lady said the increase was to pay for the flooding up North a few years back, she tried to guilt trip me into paying the higher premium, I went elsewhere. They factor these rare events in and set aside large amounts to cover them.
    Last edited by marshall; 27th Aug 2018 at 01:31.

I paid 7k baht for a full medical test at param2 Hospital, included x ray and heart monitor. Results were at total odds to a follow up blood test on the NHS a few weeks after!

Quote Originally Posted by banporman View Post
    I paid 7k baht for a full medical test at param2 Hospital, included x ray and heart monitor. Results were at total odds to a follow up blood test on the NHS a few weeks after!
    Did they discover things that needed 'further investigation' at a cost of course - the inherent problem with private medicine.