Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Thai Driving Licence

On my next visit I want to get a Thai driving licence. Does anyone have experience of doing this and what do you needed. For example I will not have a Thai address, just a hotel room, does this matter? Also does anyone have a print out of the questions, I am told there are 50, which are available in English. I will probably look to apply in Pattaya, so any contacts would be appreciated. Especially if they can expedite the process. Thai style.

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Yes you are supposed to have an address but there are usually 'agents' around who can sort that out for you and the medical certificate that's also required. I've taken 2 identical tests - one for my first temporary licence and another for my 5 year licence - not sure if they have to be done each time in the future. I guess as with other matters 'Thai', each Land Transport Office handles tests for foreigners differently but I never had to answer any questions. With a UK driving licence all that was required was a 'traffic light' test for colour blindness and a reaction test which consisted of watching a screen until an incident happened and then hitting the 'brake pedal' on the floor.

Your initial licence will be for 2 years and provided you are back over there within a month of its expiry (either side I believe but check with the office) you will subsequently be given a 5 year licence.

If you're going to apply in Pattaya I'll leave it to those who live there to advise you on the local requirements.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Sammy Shrimper's Avatar

Because of your status of being a holiday maker, I would certainly use an agent. For what they charge (Around 7000 baht) it will be money well spent. I found it difficult and I'm a resident in Pattaya. The licence centre is way out from Pattaya, its a bit off the beaten track. Get their early, the place gets mobbed. If you use an agent they will sort all your paperwork and take you. If you want to do it on your own, do your resarch and take a Thai speaking person with you. Good luck.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

You can get a lot of baht buses and taxis for 7000 baht. International licences is way cheaper.

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Not disagreeing with the above in any way - as I said earlier - an agent will get around the address part for you. However, I'm surprised that a resident od Pattaya finds it difficult to go through the process and probably points to things being deliberately being made difficult in order to create a market for the 'agents'. Being Pattaya, I would be very surprised if the staff don't speak English.

At my local Land Transport Office in Pak Chong, it couldn't have been easier. Thankfully the girl who sells the compulsory government insurance there is almost fluent in English and helped me a lot but the staff in general were genuinely willing to help. Same with most things really - I can't recall anyone trying to 'lift my leg' on anything official in my home area. Long may that stay the case.

I also managed to transfer ownership (and province) of my motorbike by myself at Nakhon Ratchasima Land Transport Office - OK, so I speak a little Thai but nowhere near enough to have done that without a little help from the staff.

Glad I live where I do in Thailand.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Sammy Shrimper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Not disagreeing with the above in any way - as I said earlier - an agent will get around the address part for you. However, I'm surprised that a resident od Pattaya finds it difficult to go through the process and probably points to things being deliberately being made difficult in order to create a market for the 'agents'. Being Pattaya, I would be very surprised if the staff don't speak English.
    The original post stated the guy will be staying in a hotel and not a resident of Pattaya. If you are refering to me, I did it myself, but was glad I took my partner as the licence centre is heaving all day and heavily biased towards the Thai people. Also, if you are number 51 or after,you have to wait until the aftenoon. They will only deal with 100 customers a day. After that you get sent home and have to come back another day.

When I had to renew my initial 2-year license, I was in and out in 20 minutes in Pranburi (for Hua Hin), all on my lonesome.

Not sure how it is in Patts, but in HH you need proof of residence from immigration, so if the guy is staying in a hotel, I guess that's where the agent comes in, with a bit of corruption along the way.
    'Tis me