Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default First UK Passport for Baby

Hi everyone,

I wondered if any of you could give me some info/advice on applying for my childs' first UK Passport. I have a Thai GF and we had a baby together earlier this year in Thailand.
    I am now back in the UK but both my GF and our baby are living together in Thailand.

1) As i understand it, because i am British in my own right (not by descent) our baby will be entitled to a British passport - now my question is whether you think it's easier (admin/logistics-wise) to apply whilst i am still here in the UK or whether to apply from Bangkok when i return at the end of the year?

I have a local birth certificate (translated and certified in English) and i am the named father on the BC. My girlfriend and I are not married.. yet.

2) Our plan is to move to the UK together as a family next year and so i need to decide the best way forward for my GF to come to the UK. We know either a Spouse or Fiancé VISA is best but would you say it's better to get married in Thailand and then apply for a Spouse VISA whilst i am there or get engaged and apply for a Fiance VISA instead?

We're not bothered about the 'wedding' in the UK as we will have the 'wedding' in Thailand in a few years time, the purpose of the marriage would be for legal/VISA reasons and so we can be together in the UK.

If anyone has any info or advice it'd be very much appreciated - many thanks.

Kind regards,

Nick

You will save yourself quite a bit of cash by getting married in Thailand as the first visa lasts for 33 months followed by a 30 month period of Further Leave to Remain (FLR), then after five years, Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

If you get married in the UK it's a six month settlement (Fiancée) visa followed by two 30 month periods of FLR, then ILR.

Your GF will have to fulfill the criteria of an A1 Language test, a TB test and your earnings have to be £18,600 pa as a minimum for either option.

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks Rasg that's very helpful.

Do you know, if we decide to get married in Thailand, if we will need witnesses as friends or family? IE will i need someone from UK to come and be a witness?

Would you/does anyone recommend a company in Bangkok/Thailand who could help us with a spouse VISA application? How much should i expect to pay?

Thanks again,

Nick

No need to have anyone from the UK. Most amphur offices will provide "witnesses" from their staff for a small fee.

Before you get married, you'll need to have completed, sworn at the British Embassy, translated into Thai, and then legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs an "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry".

Details here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ry-in-thailand

I think you'll find most members here would strongly recommend you DO NOT use an agency for the visa process.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by nickuk View Post

Do you know, if we decide to get married in Thailand, if we will need witnesses as friends or family? IE will i need someone from UK to come and be a witness?

Would you/does anyone recommend a company in Bangkok/Thailand who could help us with a spouse VISA application? How much should i expect to pay?

Thanks again,

Nick

There is no need for you to pay a company to help with the application, you will find that you have to do bulk of the application anyways. If your unsure of anything, then all you need to do, is ask.

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    You will save yourself quite a bit of cash by getting married in Thailand as the first visa lasts for 33 months followed by a 30 month period of Further Leave to Remain (FLR), then after five years, Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
    Sorry rasg I know I'm being picky in what you say but I just want to clarify, as reading it as is could suggest that there is a 5 year wait after the end of the second FLR before obtaining ILR (33 months followed by 30 months and then after 5 years ILR).

It's just the way it is written as I know you are know the ILR follows directly after the end of the 30 month visa (33 + 30 = 63 months or 5 years) 5 years being the time in country that enables you to apply for ILR (all things considered).
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Rookie มือใหม่

Thank you Maokaang that's very helpful.

I wasn't too sure on the witness front and I just presumed that the witnesses would have had to be friends or family - so thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks also for sharing the info on the 'affirmation of freedom to marry' - this is something i hadn't thought of so great that i now know to organise that too.

Thanks again,

Nick

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Thanks Greg / Pairin.

Would you recommend doing the application myself then with no agency help, not even with a UK immigration lawyer or similar? I know that they are expensive but I'm just worried that if we try to make the application ourselves and it's not accepted, that we'd then lose the fee for the application which i believe to be circa. £1500, and then would have to pay the fee again for a second application?

Thanks again for your help.

Nick

Many thanks for your clarification on that Gary & Nok

Could anyone help with info on how best to apply for my child's first British passport?
    If anyone has had a similar experience and could provide advice on how they gained the passport, being that my child lives in Thailand since birth and my GF and I are not married. I am British in my own right, and not by descent.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Nick

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

A barrier to getting the child's passport in the UK would be getting a counter-signatory to confirm knowledge of your child and the likeness of the photo. So maybe Thailand would be a better place to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    Sorry rasg I know I'm being picky in what you say but I just want to clarify, as reading it as is could suggest that there is a 5 year wait after the end of the second FLR before obtaining ILR (33 months followed by 30 months and then after 5 years ILR).

It's just the way it is written as I know you are know the ILR follows directly after the end of the 30 month visa (33 + 30 = 63 months or 5 years) 5 years being the time in country that enables you to apply for ILR (all things considered).
    You are right. Poorly worded.

Rookie มือใหม่

I have a slight anomaly and wondered if anyone could advise;

I am self employed but my main income is from being a shareholder in a family business but i do not own or have a shareholder certificate as i am included in a trust which entitles me to shareholder entitlement once i become of age. However i do receive an annual dividend and have done for the past 7 years and have tax returns to reflect this.

My total income inc. my sole trader company and dividend from family business is considerably greater than the minimum required to apply for spouse visa but i am not able to present a certified shareholder certificate to support the earnings.

Also i am still living with the parents but i have just bought a new house (new build) but the builders have delayed the completion for a number of months and therefore i will not be in my new house until after i return from Thailand and applied for the spouse VISA. I won't be able to present any council, utility bills but i thought about requesting a cover letter from the builders to confirm exchange of contracts etc and reasons for delay in build completion (House is a cash sale so no mortgage)

Does anyone know or have any experience with any of the above?
    Would/could either be a problem when applying for a spouse VISA.

If the shareholder certificate is a problem, could i use my parents as 'sponsors' for the spouse VISA rather than me (the husband) if i was to get a cover/supporting letter from them inc. income documents etc.

Many thanks in advance for any info you can provide

Nick