Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

Still only on the long holidays but given that I don't actually like tea ( I know freaky for an Englishman) my biggest miss I think when I'm there is decent beer, I love a German wheat beer. Now I know its available in Korat somewhere as café pittini have it but I have yet to find the supplier. Most other things I'm not that bothered about, sure they drive like D*%ks but I will avoid the main roads as much as much as possible. I have already told the Mrs that if its song kran or whatever then were going up 2 or 3 days before and were coming back 2 or 3 days after so i'm not sat in a 20 hour traffic jam from Ubon to Korat. What would I miss most from the UK ? . Probably the banter and B/S I have with my closest friends who I have had since before primary school. Even though they are an open invite once i'm established there. Planning on coming back to the UK for the summer June to end of August because I don't think anywhere on the planet beats England in the summer and we get to miss the rainy season in Thai. Other than that I think I can live with most things.

Oh yeah and i'll miss my kids but they get a cheap holiday to Thailand whenever they want, so kind of up to them if they want to come visit.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel&panada View Post
    my biggest miss I think when I'm there is decent beer, I love a German wheat beer. Now I know its available in Korat somewhere as café pittini have it but I have yet to find the supplier.
    It's funny that it's the Thais themselves that are leading the interest in beers from around the World and craft beers, including brewing their own (Even bloody Singha now claim to be producing 'craft beer'). For example, The 'Tiger is coming' in Korat sells over 300 bottled beers from around the World and another place has just opened that brews it's own beer. In Hua Hin there are a couple of places that sell a great selection of beers from all over (in Scene Space).

But most bars and those in bars areas here, just sell the usual Thai stuff although a few now sell Cider as well. One or two bars have a better selection, but they are not of the bar girl variety.

But German wheat beer is widely available at the bigger supermarkets like TOPS, Gourmet Market and Villa Market.
    'Tis me

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    But most bars and those in bars areas here, just sell the usual Thai stuff although a few now sell Cider as well. One or two bars have a better selection, but they are not of the bar girl variety.
    Have to say that I love Chang however, as I think many would agree - Chang doesn't love me. Changover's are the worst I've ever had - Saturday morning after showing an English friend the delights of Sukhumvit on Friday night was particularly bad .

I guess it fits though as I'm not a fan of craft beers in the UK. Chang is about as close to Holsten Pils as I've found.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    But German wheat beer is widely available at the bigger supermarkets like TOPS, Gourmet Market and Villa Market.
    There's a new wheat beer (or at least I think so, it tastes like one) sold in 7/11. I forget the name of it but it's in a big distinctive silver can, with most of the writing in English. Says some rubbish on it about tilting the can before you drink it but it's pretty nice and cheap too. Made by Singha. All in English. When I first saw other Thais drinking it, I assumed they'd got it from somewhere like Villa Market but no, it's in 7.

It's only 4% Tapper is a better buy at 6.5, 53 baht

Well its good to hear that the beer situation is improving over there and I wont be stuck with generic gassy lager.

Well its good to hear that the beer situation is improving over there and I wont be stuck with generic gassy lager.
    Have a look at wishbeer as well. Not the cheapest, but they deliver to Korat. I used to get stuff sent to me when I was living there. But when they opened Gourmet Market at the Mall, I didn't need them anymore.

https://www.wishbeer.com/en/
    'Tis me

Which Mall is Gourmet market at ?. The old mall near the big Tesco or Terminal.

"2. Wife acting Normal, it takes about a millisecond to turn her back into a Thai when meeting another Thai."
    It's a good job I had nt taken a drink of anything when I read that ....lol ..... Next door must be wondering whats he laughing at ....
    bangkok mags

Which Mall is Gourmet market at ?. The old mall near the big Tesco or Terminal.
    The old one that's called "The Mall"
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

There's also a Gourmet Market in the Emquartier mall opposite Emporium.

Quote Originally Posted by livingwithathaigirl View Post
    There's also a Gourmet Market in the Emquartier mall opposite Emporium.
    There's also a Gourmet Market in the Emporium Mall opposite Emquartier!

You might need to look at that twice - lol! They have one at each store (either side of Phrom Phong BTS) as well as at Siam Paragon, Terminal 21 at Asok and various other Malls in Bangkok - some might still be known as Fresh Mart. They are also now opening Gourmet Markets outside of their Malls, in the same way Central have with TOPS.

How do I know all this? My other half is a senior accountant with The Mall Group at their head office in Bkk (if she hasn't quit today, as she was threatening to). I even had to attend the opening of Bluport in Hua Hin in the category of 'partner' and then the following weekend, attend the opening of the new extended Mall in Korat (where she is still the senior accounting manager).

Gourmet Market is the supermarket chain of The Mall Group.
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

Things I missed when living in Thailand.
    1. Family and friends. Skype is no sub for me.
    2. Seasons, though I hate the dark early nights so maybe I just miss a variation in weather. Thailand for me is too hot.
    3. Radio. I can listen from afar but the feeling of putting the radio on and being in the moment does it for me. Five Live, Talk Radio etc.
    4. TV - as above.
    5. Going to a match.
    6. Food. I hear what people say about roasts but they don't taste anywhere near as good for me.
    7. The walks.
    8. Driving standards.
    9. A police force that protects.
    10. Law and order.
    11. Crisps
    12. Indian restaurants.
    13. Local pubs in the winter.

Things I miss about Thailand.
    1. Thai food.
    2. Cost of living
    3. Motorbike
    4. Convenience
    5. Thai pubs
    6. Ease of getting around
    7. Ability to travel to other islands and nearby countries.
    8. People from Isan. Not other areas though.
    9. The vibe the country has.
    10. The complete and utter difference between one day and another.
    11. Discussing Thai issues with my mates there.
    12. The kids. I never saw Thai kids screaming and balling. The ones I worked with were so much nicer than those from the UK. They just seem happier to me.

The next thread should be What I don't miss.....

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

8. People from Isan. Not other areas though.

Bit harsh - I always favored the Northerners - Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai / Mae Hong Son

Each to their own I guess

Don't like it getting dark by 18-30 pretty much all year, love the long UK summer nights. Do like Thai bluntness and lack of P.C, drinking with the local police chief last year and he says " maybe I arrest you for being too fat " to which he got " fine but i'll lay on the floor and you'll have to carry me". That ruined his little joke.

Old Hand มือเก่า

I only lived in Isan, Chonburi and Pattaya so my experiences are based on that alone. Should have been more specific.

Thai kids are Angels compared to the screeching horrors back home

Quote Originally Posted by banporman View Post
    Thai kids are Angels compared to the screeching horrors back home
    Again absolute bulls droppings I have 4 kids non have or ever will be screeching horrors , you really do have a problem with generalized bigoted opinions similar to a few others who visited this forum and thankfully have now moved on
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Bigoted is intolerant of anothers opinion