Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Motorbike import from Uk

Hi I have a place here in Bangkok for last 3 years and I now want to try importing my bike over from UK can anyone give me some advise on import tax, duty, etc also if someone has already done this could they give me some links please

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

What ever you think your bike is worth, add the freight cost then triple that price then double that price and you should be close. lol it is not worth the effort.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

I looked in to bringing my XT600E over. I then did some research and it was going to be way too expensive, I have deleted all my links but there is/was a site which gave you import duties on items coming in to the country.
    I sold my bike and will now buy another once I get my house built, up to you, but IMHO it was not worth it

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    I looked in to bringing my XT600E over. I then did some research and it was going to be way too expensive, I have deleted all my links but there is/was a site which gave you import duties on items coming in to the country.
    I sold my bike and will now buy another once I get my house built, up to you, but IMHO it was not worth it
    I was contemplating the same for my BMW K1300GT, I'm loathed to part with it, but my Thai teacher told me that import tax is roughly 3 x the value, was that about right?

On the house subject, I read that westerners are not allowed to actually own a property in Thailand, unless it is in a block of apartments/condos, 51% of which are owned by Thais. Are you registering the house in your wife's name? Unless there are different regional policies on this I would imagine it is the sensible option. My wife's family home is near to Ang Thong, but we'll want to build a family home in Ayutthaya. (I'm sure there'll be a thread about this somewhere).
    Last edited by PEL2112UK; 27th Oct 2018 at 13:19.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

I think if your wife is in the UK and moves back to Thailand then she can import a vehicle provided she has owned it 18 months, as for the house I know you cant own the land but I believe you can own the house. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

importing any vehicle is something that lots of people would like to do, but alias is something that is like reaching for the moon, it seem possible but it is'nt, customs sets the value, adds the transports costs adds 300% and then adds vat, on other sites it is posted as impossible. the 2nd value of vehicles in the UK as opposed to Thailand make it seem worthwhile.

The import tax on luxury goods is around 300% of the value that the Thai authorities assign to the item.

A foreigner cannot own land in Thailand. If a block of flats is registered under The Condominium Act then up to 49% can be registered in a foreign name, although the money to buy the property must be brought in from abroad. The most common methods used if mixed couple want to buy a house is to put the land in the Thai's name and the house in the foreign name. The land can also be leased to the foreigner for up to 30 years.

A Thai Limited company can be controlled by a foreigner and can buy land. However if the company can be shown as a vehicle just to get around land ownership laws then this set up is illegal. In fact currently it is very hard to buy land in a company name if the company has any foreign directors, the Land Departments will simply refuse the registration.

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post

The most common methods used if mixed couple want to buy a house is to put the land in the Thai's name and the house in the foreign name. The land can also be leased to the foreigner for up to 30 years.
    My wife went to a Thai friend's home in Bristol (I sat for 7 hours listening to 6 Thai women eating drinking wine,and talking - hilarious). One of them told me you buy the land in your Thai wife's name, she leases it to you (in some cases can be up to 100 years), you can then build and own the house on the land (there's a bit of work to do at the local government office, plus all the other visa and bank account stuff, which I'm sure one of the 'experts' on here will be keen to fill in).

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by PEL2112UK View Post
    My wife went to a Thai friend's home in Bristol (I sat for 7 hours listening to 6 Thai women eating drinking wine,and talking - hilarious). One of them told me you buy the land in your Thai wife's name, she leases it to you (in some cases can be up to 100 years), you can then build and own the house on the land (there's a bit of work to do at the local government office, plus all the other visa and bank account stuff, which I'm sure one of the 'experts' on here will be keen to fill in).
    yes this is correct she leases the house not the land as you can not own land ,for a token amount till the end of your life ,Money stays in thailand

The maximum lease period that can registered on a Chanote(NS4J) or NS3G is 30 years. It sounds like there is some confusion between a lease and an "ufrustruct" which is for life, and although permitted in Thai Law, many Land Departments refuse to allow.

It is the Land that is leased to the Farang not the house and the house is owned by the Farang and registered as such on the NS4J/NS3G.

Land can be leased to a Farang and it not considered as ownership of the land.
    Last edited by James HKT; 6th Nov 2018 at 18:02.