Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Airbnb have you tried it?

I believe it is illegal in Thailand, and probably just as well due to the unfair competition to hotels, the nuisance it can cause neighbors and the un vetted hosts, who lets face it could be anyone.

Tried it twice this year- Florence first which looked great, whole apartment, all 5 star reviews and a 'superhost'. Location was great but that was about it, half the electricals did not work including hair dryer, iron and wall heater due to no adapter. Both bedside lamps did not work and the cooker blew the fuse if you put more than one plate on. Had to hang washing outside as heater out of use, some fell into the courtyard below, superhost claimed he had no way of getting the items back, no apology for the state of the place.

This August in Norwich thought we would give just a room in an old house a go, Princes st across from the Cathedral so another great spot. Unfortunately you had to go through the living room to get to the rented room and the atmosphere was ice cold to say the least. In fact the husband refused to speak, got the impression it was the wifes little earner and he resented people being there, again 5 star reviews and described as a home from home. After that went to the Stracey Hotel Norwich which was absolutely fantastic and not that much more than the aribnb booking. room at the Stracey was about 4x the size. Doubt if we will bother again, too much of a gamble, i'm sure there are loads of great places but the reverse seems also to be true.
    Last edited by banporman; 23rd Sep 2018 at 11:12.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I have used Airbnb on a number occasions, also used, owners abroad and holiday lettings. I have never had an issue with any of our accommodtions, infact I have found them to be far superior to some of the hotels we have stayed at in Thailand.

Our last trip to Ao Nang beach we stayed at, "The Lai Thai Condo" it was immaculate and would stay there again without hesitation.

In Hua Hin I have used Airbnb and others to stay at Baan Sandao, Baan Sanploen, My Resort and Baan Sansaran. Again all lovely accommodation with no issues and would certainaly stay at either of them again.

They seem to be knocking up condo's everywhere in Thailand, which is only going to fuel more people to purchase for renting out. Infact, last year in Ao Nang we stayed at at a beach resort hotel, this has now been knocked down and a condiminium complex is being built to replace it.

If Airbnb is illegal in Thaialnd, then you wouldn't think it with the type of new builds that are going on.

I wonder why airbnb still list properties here when the courts rules months ago it's illegal?

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...court-declares

Quote Originally Posted by banporman View Post
    I wonder why airbnb still list properties here when the courts rules months ago it's illegal?

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...court-declares
    I don't know, some of the places I named earlier you can even book through Agoda, Booking.com etc etc.
    So even if they do clamp down on Airbnb, I doubt they will never be able to stop privately owned properties been rented out to tourists. When there is a market, there will always be a supply.
    Last edited by Greg / Pairin; 23rd Sep 2018 at 12:30.

It applies to all unregistered accommodation let out for less than one month I think.

Member สมาชิก

It applies to all unregistered accommodation let out for less than one month I think.
    Correct, not that you would notice. Legally any accommodation rented out for less than 30 days must have a hotel license.

There are signs at most condo entrances now stating it is illegal to rent rooms on a daily and weekly basis and so on. The owners and juristic offices of condos, resorts and elsewhere have also been given such warnings. Where my other half rents her condo, they are asking residents to report short term lets (some are which are for the purposes of prostitution).

So by and large, it breaks Thailand's rules and a few months back there was a big fuss about it. However, as in all things Thailand, it's all about enforcement and Thailand doesn't so well in that score.

So I think it will vary from condo to condo, development to development. Where I am, the juristic office emailed everyone for information that a certain absentee landlord who was flouting the resorts own by-laws (way before the Airbnb thing), had been informed any short term guests that turn up after x date would simply not be allowed access by security. Seemed to do the trick.
    'Tis me

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

We always use them, only had good experiences - off too kafelonia next month villa + pool 35 quid a night, hopefully happy days !

I believe it is illegal in Thailand, and probably just as well due to the unfair competition to hotels, the nuisance it can cause neighbors and the un vetted hosts, who lets face it could be anyone.
    Why do you think it is unfair on the hotels. Maybe the hotels should be asking, why are people using Airbnb and other platforms for accommodation.

I have kids, I have never been charged extra for a roll away bed, yet hotels do. You don’t have to worry about compulsory gala dinners during the festive season that some hotels charge. Some hotels charge 11 year olds and up adult prices, how can you justify charging an 11 year old a gala costing a few thousand baht. Hotels do differ in their policy with these galas and extra bed fees for children, I just think that some hotel charges are over the top.

When we stayed at the Ivy Condo Thonglor, my wife’s brother and gf stayed the night, we were off to Lopburi and we wanted an early start. We asked at reception first and were told that would be fine, no extra cost.

I have only ever had exceptional experiences using Airbnb and other platforms. I have never experienced noisy or inconsiderate guests and I have been using these platforms to book privately owned condos and serviced apartments since 2004. As these types of property rarely have a restaurant or bar, then we tend to spend more time out of the complex spending our money with local restaurants, bars and vendors. Someone’s loss is another’s gain.

Not Thailand but I was speaking to somebody today who is off to Spain next week. She was originally thinking of booking a villa and the price was £5K. Thought it was a bit much and went via AirBNB for £2500. I would use it.

some horror stories here: https://www.airbnbhell.com/airbnb-guest-stories/ As far as Thailand goes of course visitors should respect the laws of the country weather they agree with them or not

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

For every 1 bad story, I'll think you'll find 100s that are very Happy customers, same with Hotels.

I'll take a chance on Thai Law, and 500bht in my back pocket.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Banporman,
    Aren't you just extrapolating too much from not a lot of data?
    Norwich and Florence?
    Perhaps you've just been unlucky with your choices in AirBnB.
    Or lucky in your choice of hotels?
    Really, you shouldn't give up after just two experiences.
    Millions of happy customers can't be wrong.
    And why do you call it 'unfair competition'?
    Norwich hotels could probably do with all the competition they could get.

I think choice is a good thing.
    So many hotels could rest on their laurels if there wasn't competition.

Being a bit of a fan of technology myself I tried AirBnB last year.
    Rented a place in Norfolk.
    I checked a lot of reviews.
    And I found them to be helpful and truthful.
    Norfolk was but fine but the AirBnB place was so good, it made the trip.
    9 out of 10 for the rental.
    9 out of 10 for AirBnB.