Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1. #1
    RSS Feed Bot T-UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 Sep 2002
    Location
    Cyberspace โลกเทคโนโลยีสารสนเทศ
    Posts
    2,039

    RSS Feed British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

    From 1 January 2019, the British Embassy Bangkok will no longer be providing British Nationals with letters confirming their income.

    Read full article ...

    (This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the British Embassy Bangkok RSS Feed)

  2. #2
    Admin maokaang's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 Sep 2002
    Location
    เมืองขอนแก่น
    Posts
    9,461

    Default

    In short:

    SPP01.jpg
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

  3. #3
    Member สมาชิก Strawman's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Jun 2018
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Tougher and tougher regulations this time the BE making life difficult. Combined with tougher visa agent rulings (fair enough) more and more will be jacking it in
    Cambodia already seeing big influx over last 3 years with my eyes set on Vietnam

  4. #4
    Premium Member caller's Avatar
    Join Date
    7 Sep 2005
    Location
    Hua Hin & Bangkok
    Posts
    5,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Tougher and tougher regulations this time the BE making life difficult.
    It's not the Embassy making life difficult in this case. It's the requirements that Thai Immigration are imposing on all Embassies in respect of verifying income, where currently they simply notarise documents folk like me provide to them.

    To verify, means going to the income provider for proof of that income. There are all sorts of time and cost implications as well as and possibly most important, Data Protection issues. For example, my income providers might be slow in dealing with the request, they might want a fee for providing such data and they simply might refuse the request. Realistically, it's not possible for the Embassy to deal with all such scenario's.

    I suspect that Thai authorities, who don't really have DP to worry about, have simply misunderstood the laws in most Western Countries. It's also worth noting it's the Embassies themselves that are suggesting that to comply with the regs that we deposit 40/65k into our Thai accounts monthly, whereas currently there is no requirement to do so.

    So we need to wait to hear from the Thais themselves what we need to do to comply with the regs, maybe it is as the Embassies have stated, send over money each month, but that already means many of us will be in default of the 'regs' over the last 12 months, as whilst I personally send money over monthly, I don't always need to send the legal minimum account. Others I know send over quarterly, some twice yearly and so on and there are others who simply don't really qualify in meeting the requirements, but nevertheless, manage perfectly well on what they do have, which if retired, is way above what most Thais earn in any case.

    The Thais simply, as is often the case, haven't thought this one through.
    'Tis me

  5. #5
    Moderator Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Jun 2003
    Location
    UK/USA
    Posts
    16,338
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    ... Combined with tougher visa agent rulings (fair enough) more and more will be jacking it in ...
    I have missed this, what tougher visa agent rulings are they?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

  6. #6
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    5 Apr 2008
    Location
    Phala Rayong
    Posts
    606

    Default

    the BE may say to put 40/65 thousand baht per month into a Thai bank account, but immigration still require a letter from the embassy, until this changes then its a no go for the monthly income route for extensions. lump sum only

  7. #7
    Moderator Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Jun 2003
    Location
    UK/USA
    Posts
    16,338
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve187 View Post
    the BE may say to put 40/65 thousand baht per month into a Thai bank account, but immigration still require a letter from the embassy ...
    Is this fact or presumption? One would have thought the Embassy would have verified this advice with the Thai authorities.

    I suspect the letter will continue to be required until 1 January 2019 when the British Embassy will cease to provide this document.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

  8. #8
    Premium Member caller's Avatar
    Join Date
    7 Sep 2005
    Location
    Hua Hin & Bangkok
    Posts
    5,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Is this fact or presumption?
    The great conundrum of life in Thailand!

    There is a European member of a local Forum here who insists he has never used an Embassy letter in his life! He just pays 65k into his Thai account monthly and has always had that accepted. For myself, it was Gospel that you had to go via the Embassy. Certainly a better option if you don't want to bring over the minimum amount each month, or do so twice a year, or whatever. As nowhere does it state 40/65k has to be paid into your Thai account each month.

    Sometimes, you just feel the Thai's make things up on the hoof.
    'Tis me

  9. #9
    Guest Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Is this fact or presumption? One would have thought the Embassy would have verified this advice with the Thai authorities.
    Nothing is as it seems in Thailand Tobias. Even if the British Embassy got a written agreement from Thai Immigration that having the required amount paid into a Thai bank account was acceptable, that would be no guarantee that every immigration office would comply.

    Let me advise you of my mate's situation:

    If you live in Thailand and have an Non O visa with a 12 month extension because you live with your Thai wife, you have to have an income of 40,000 baht per month with proof. If you have a work permit, that income can come from within Thailand - otherwise, I believe it has to come from abroad. The other option is to have 400,000 in the bank.

    My mate runs a business in Pak Chong with his Thai wife - a small resort/bar/restaurant. It's a legitimate business with all the correct licences, has accounts and pays tax. He has a work permit - everything is legit but when he came to renew his visa this April, the captain of the relevant department (a female) at Nakhon Ratchasima Immigration told him she didn't believe his business was genuine, she believed it was contrived in order to obtain a visa and either his income must come from abroad or he had to have 400,000 in the bank. No matter how much he or his wife pleaded, she would not move.

    They are a young couple with a daughter 8 years old, he's been living in Thailand for over 10 years and the business is well established. However, 400,000 was more than he could find and it was not required, the officer was not applying the law correctly. He called the head immigration office in Bangkok to ask for advice and they agreed that the captain was wrong - would they call her and make her lose face? No way!! Luckily friends helped him out with the 400,000 this time but next April he's going to have the same problem.

    It doesn't matter what the law says in Thailand - you're in the hands of the officer in charge at the time and what they say goes. Here, we would complain to the relevant authority, in Thailand that can cause you more problems than you started with.

  10. #10
    Premium Member -Keith-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Sep 2002
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    5,336

    Default

    Sounds to me that she was fishing for brown envelope.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

  11. #11
    Premium Member caller's Avatar
    Join Date
    7 Sep 2005
    Location
    Hua Hin & Bangkok
    Posts
    5,458

    Default

    Flip, a well known ex-member of this forum has stated elsewhere that one of the reasons he was relieved to have left Thailand, was because of the expectation of an annual sweetener required to secure his work permit. I'm not sure if that was at Korat (unlikely, as neighbouring province), but in that neck of the woods, work permits must be relatively few and far between and if not attached to a bigger business, the applicants seem to be regarded as fair game, as they are, in reality, very exposed.

    How is he managing now he doesn't have a work permit?
    'Tis me

  12. #12
    Guest Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    Sounds to me that she was fishing for brown envelope.
    Nope, if only it was that simple - a sweetener was on offer. This woman took a dislike to my buddy for some reason. I was sat in front of the same woman just a couple of weeks ago when I went for an extension - she was all sweetness and light. For reasons of simplicity, I registered at my mate's resort this trip - they are clamping down on people not registering and had I applied for an extension and been found unregistered I would have been fined. Anyway, this woman raised her eyebrows and said "Oh you're staying at *** *** resort" - so much for her claims of it being a contrived company. I have suggested to my mate that he registers all foreigners that stay there in the future (all resorts and hotels should but few do) as that will put one in her eye on the next application.

    - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    How is he managing now he doesn't have a work permit?
    He does have a work permit - he never had a problem getting one. The visa extension was the problem.

    The new Immigration Chief, Kuhn Big Joke says he's going to clean immigration up, I doubt it but we can be hopeful.

  13. #13
    Moderator Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Jun 2003
    Location
    UK/USA
    Posts
    16,338
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    ... The new Immigration Chief, Kuhn Big Joke says he's going to clean immigration up, I doubt it but we can be hopeful.
    That sounds ominous!
    Tobias - โทเบียส

  14. #14
    Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Join Date
    16 Oct 2011
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    This woman took a dislike to my buddy for some reason.
    So true and once this happens you are never going to win. The head woman at immigration at Samut Sakhon office dislikes me for some reason and I cannot do a report, renew my retirement visa there, or get a proof of residence letter. I had to go to Egypt and they would not do the re-entry stamp because "immigration don't do that"

  15. #15
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    4 Mar 2018
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    So true and once this happens you are never going to win. The head woman at immigration at Samut Sakhon office dislikes me for some reason and I cannot do a report, renew my retirement visa there, or get a proof of residence letter. I had to go to Egypt and they would not do the re-entry stamp because "immigration don't do that"
    I always go with my wife to immigration. I smile, she talks and everyone has a good time. Never had a problem.

  16. #16
    Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Join Date
    16 Oct 2011
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    I always go with my wife to immigration. I smile, she talks and everyone has a good time. Never had a problem.
    Nat was with me the day the woman decided she didn't like me. I don't recall saying anything that day. We were told by Samut Sahkon Immigration to go to Pattaya to do what we wanted. Ever since flat refusal to do anything regarding immigration

  17. #17
    Guest Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,995

    Default

    Well we've decided enough is enough with Korat immigration. Sebsatian, the lawyer from Korat is taking on my mate's case next April and has guaranteed him a visa. He's quite famous locally for taking Korat Immigration to court and winning.

    I've not had a problem so far but I expect one next year and if that happens, I'll take them on too. I've heard all the stories about being blacklisted etc, I really don't care. I'll make sure I'm squeaky clean and if I get a problem with my visa, I'll escalate it. I don't blame them for starting to weed out those who shouldn't be there but its time all the crap like my mate's had to go through is stopped.

  18. #18
    Guest Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,995

    Default

    Typing too fast - his name is of course, Sebastian.

  19. #19
    Premium Member sisaket's Avatar
    Join Date
    7 Jan 2007
    Location
    UK / Bangkok
    Posts
    1,703

    Default

    I went a few times to immigration to check what exactly they wanted to see, before I made the application, they wanted some photos two I can remember was both me and Mrs outside our Condo door clearly showing the number then one of me on my own on the other-side of the door IE inside, strange but that what they asked, on the wall inside next to the door is a photo of the lady who must be obeyed, but in full white uniform IE gold shoulder boards and rows of ribbons etc, I stood with the picture over my shoulder and printed it off on A4 IE could see clear as day the photo behind, when we went to apply for the extension I put that photo on top of the others, when asked to produce my evidence that's what the Immigration Officer saw first, she did nt bother looking at anything else just stared at the picture then said to Mrs I need to use the photocopier with that she got up and went then just stood by it (I slyly looked over my shoulder) she came back sat down and proceeded to ask Mrs what did she do when we met and before we got married, obviously she already had an idea because of the picture , but did nt know at what location etc , then everything was looked at, I was never asked anything only to sign the various documents.
    On the point of proof of monies going monthly or lump sum in a Thai Bank a mixture would be acceptable IE 200,000 baht lump sum plus 20,000 a month going in, that was for Non "O" 12 month extension based on marriage to a Thai National , this is what I was told and was given a leaflet (typically I cannot find it now) but for the Retirement Visa it was 800,000 baht lump sum or 65,000 baht per month one or the other cannot be a mixture. This was for BMA, whether this will be the same next year is anyone's guess.
    bangkok mags

  20. #20
    Old Hand มือเก่า
    Join Date
    29 Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    I always go with my wife to immigration. I smile, she talks and everyone has a good time. Never had a problem.
    I like this reply ,maybe not legal but it will work let her deal with it ,,,love it and 9 times out of ten positive result even throe you will be called Mr bean all night

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th Feb 2016, 23:48
  2. Letter from British Embassy as proof of income regarding marriage visa?
    By Fireblade in forum Thai Visas, Documents, etc.
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31st Oct 2011, 11:16
  3. British Bangkok Embassy to shut
    By T-UK in forum News and Views
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 21st May 2010, 04:23

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •