Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

RSS Feed World news story: British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

From 1 January 2019, the British Embassy Bangkok will no longer be providing British Nationals with letters confirming their income.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the British Embassy Bangkok RSS Feed)

Old Hand มือเก่า

So if you was married and had 10 grand in a thail bank 3 months before then all should be ok .
    Just keeping my eyes on it maybe 8 years down the line forward planning

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    So if you was married and had 10 grand in a thail bank 3 months before then all should be ok .
    Just keeping my eyes on it maybe 8 years down the line forward planning
    Just remember the money in the Thai Bank needs to be in Your personal account (not a joint account).
    bangkok mags

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Hopefully a statement on this will be issued by Thai Immigration soon. At the moment all they are saying is that you need to have 400,000 baht in the bank if you're Non O extension is based on marriage and 800,000 in the bank if its based on retirement - nothing yet about accepting monthly income instead.

It would seem to me that a hell of a lot of guys are going to simply change to a marriage extension for the lower bank balance - although I'm told that is difficult. A couple of years ago a chap who was in fact still receiving an income as an adviser to the company he once owned and remained a director of in the UK (part of the agreement for passing the company to his sons) - Thai Immigration told him he must have a retirement extension because of his age (60 at the time). I can't find any legal ruling on that says you must be on a retirement visa at 60 though.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

For years the British Embassy has been over charging for this service in comparison with other western Embassy's both on fees and exchange rates now they don't want the business at all leaving many ex-pats with real problems. Our government should feel ashamed with their indifference to the British public we deserve far better.

I don't think its that they don't want our business - the Thai authorities are asking that they actually verify the income - something they've never actually done if you read what the letters state. Other than state pension, it would be extremely difficult for the B.E. to verify income and would probably require the setting up of a whole new department for which they would charge even more.

Where I think they are wrong is in not persuading Thai Immigration to formally state that the transfer of money into a Thai bank account each month will be sufficient to prove income. As I said earlier, at the moment - and the letters stop in a few days, the only thing Thai Immigration will say is that 400,000 or 800,000 in a Thai bank account, depending on the extension type, is the requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Where I think they are wrong is in not persuading Thai Immigration to formally state that the transfer of money into a Thai bank account each month will be sufficient to prove income. As I said earlier, at the moment - and the letters stop in a few days, the only thing Thai Immigration will say is that 400,000 or 800,000 in a Thai bank account, depending on the extension type, is the requirement.
    As you say Flip, the British Embassy aren't to blame for this and neither are the other Embassies that have now come out and said they won't be continuing either.

But I don't see how the Embassies can push the Thai's to formally state this or that. Like many, I believe the Thais simply weren't expecting the response they got, so I assume that right now, they are giving some thought to the whole matter and will amend the regs in due course.

Nor have Thai immigration, apart from feedback from local offices, stated 400/800k is all that will be accepted in future. In fact, the British Embassy stated that as an alternative to the income letter, to pay 40/65k pm month into your Thai account.

What's needed is something official from the powers that be, not what any particular officer someone was sat in front of, said in response to being asked.
    'Tis me

I don't think its that they don't want our business - the Thai authorities are asking that they actually verify the income - something they've never actually done if you read what the letters state. Other than state pension, it would be extremely difficult for the B.E. to verify income and would probably require the setting up of a whole new department for which they would charge even more.

Last year in the BMA they would except a mixture for Extension Married to a Thai Nation as an Example 200,000 baht lump sum and 20,000 baht per month going into Thai Bank account in the applicants own name. This was on one of the information sheets available at Chaengwattana Immigration Complex.
    According to GOV.UK, can have no less than 40,000 baht per month going to a Thai Bank and a Bank Statement should be used a a supporting document for a Marriage Extension.
    Theres a link takes you to Thai immigration, states they except 40,000 baht a month.
    https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_18
    bangkok mags

Yes I've seen that link before Sisaket. I think the biggest problem stems from item No.5 in Documents to be Submitted - where it states:

'or attach documents proving that the parents or alien husband earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year, such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other funds issued by the relevant agency'

Up to now, Thai immigration seem to have used 'such as' as giving them licence to ask for whatever documents they so wish for. The norm, where the income has come from abroad seems to have become the letter issued by the applicant's embassy - hence the hullabaloo at the moment.

They don't stick to what it says in their own regulations and just 'make it up as they go along'. A friend of mine over there has a business together with his Thai wife. He pays income tax and has all the relevant receipts together with a work permit, yet Korat immigration insist that his 40,000 per month must come from abroad and he must prove it. The regulations in that link quite clearly show that Korat Immigration are wrong but try telling them that. He spoke to the main immigration office in Bangkok and had it confirmed that his 40,000 earned within Thailand with tax receipts was all that was required but when he asked them to relay that information to Korat - they refused.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year as his lawyer has agreed to take Korat Immigration on regarding this

Old Hand มือเก่า

not a bad deal then 10 k ,you have to earn 18.5k to get your wife to the uk .

not a bad deal then 10 k ,you have to earn 18.5k to get your wife to the uk .
    Yes but your wife is entitled to work in the UK from day 1.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Yes but your wife is entitled to work in the UK from day 1.
    Entitled to and doing are 2 different things a million miles apart

It will be interesting to see what happens next year as his lawyer has agreed to take Korat Immigration on regarding this
    Sorry, I haven't read back, but is this Seb again?

If so, they are going to hate him!
    'Tis me

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    Sorry, I haven't read back, but is this Seb again?

If so, they are going to hate him!
    Yes, it is and as I think you know - they hate him already. After next Feb that will probably put a contract out on him.

If that b***h of a captain doesn't want to lose face, its quite easy - just apply the rules as they are written. I'm sure she will be offered a way out first - if she chooses to retain her current stance, she only has herself to blame. She accused my mate of setting up a fake company in order to obtain the visa. His business is very visible and has proper accounts etc. Time this crap was stopped.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Entitled to and doing are 2 different things a million miles apart
    Why? Both my ex's that came to the UK were working within a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    But I don't see how the Embassies can push the Thai's to formally state this or that. Like many, I believe the Thais simply weren't expecting the response they got, so I assume that right now, they are giving some thought to the whole matter and will amend the regs in due course.
    I think your right but they could ask.

A hell of a lot of blokes affected by this - some with families and everything they own in Thailand but for all the complaining I've seen on the 'other' forum, I haven't seen anyone actually write to Thai Immigration's head office for clarification. They all seem to be barking up the wrong tree.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Yes, it is and as I think you know - they hate him already. After next Feb that will probably put a contract out on him.

If that b***h of a captain doesn't want to lose face, its quite easy - just apply the rules as they are written. I'm sure she will be offered a way out first - if she chooses to retain her current stance, she only has herself to blame. She accused my mate of setting up a fake company in order to obtain the visa. His business is very visible and has proper accounts etc. Time this crap was stopped.

Why? Both my ex's that came to the UK were working within a few weeks.

I think your right but they could ask.

A hell of a lot of blokes affected by this - some with families and everything they own in Thailand but for all the complaining I've seen on the 'other' forum, I haven't seen anyone actually write to Thai Immigration's head office for clarification. They all seem to be barking up the wrong tree.
    yes flip my wife was working part time in a Thail supermarket business online orders within 6 months ,
    But did she benefit from it NO the cash was good .
    She asked me to pick her up some colliry today i could not do as i was looking around the supermarket for it for a hour ,Only to pick her up after work and to take her to the supermarket coriander hrmmm,
    Tell a lie she learnt all our transport system trains and buses as the job was in pie eater town so she traveled a distance .

Tell a lie she learnt all our transport system trains and buses as the job was in pie eater town so she traveled a distance .
    ไม่เข้าใจ
    คุณพูดภาษาอังกฤษได้ไหม?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

She learnt howto use buses and trains as the job was in Wigan and she had to travel a lot.

Thanks Dave .

"Up to now, Thai immigration seem to have used 'such as' as giving them licence to ask for whatever documents they so wish for. The norm, where the income has come from abroad seems to have become the letter issued by the applicant's embassy - hence the hullabaloo at the moment."
    On your point about documents, I went twice a month or two apart before I submitted my application, to check what documents they wanted, and was a slight variation from the first time and second time, so I took everything on both lists and they took out what they wanted which turned out not to be a great deal. One of the things they wanted was a plan of the Condo, but in what context ? , so I took a plan of : my individual unit, the floor, the building, the complex, complex on a local level and one on a district level , take your pick.
    But seams you need to keep your eye on the ball, I was very lucky in the fact they seamed to be more interested in one of my Mrs ex-jobs and did nt really ask me anything .
    Hope everything turns out OK for your mate.
    bangkok mags

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    Hope everything turns out OK for your mate.
    I hope so too. I was thinking it could be me that challenged her first and I was quite prepared to do so but thanks to Brexit, its doubtful that I'll make the move next year. Having said that, you know how things work - he may well get his case sorted out but that's no guarantee than the same problem won't crop up with a different applicant.

Its about time all this crap was stopped and a firm list of requirements and proofs is standardised across the whole immigration department. However, I haven't seen any pigs flying in Thailand.