Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Advice needed forUK 2 year visit visa..

My Thai wife has a Thai friend who is visiting her husband and child for 6 months..She has been granted a 2 year visit visa..She seems to think that when she returns after six months of being in the UK she can return within a few weeks..But I am under the impression she has to be out of the country for 6 months..Who is correct please?

She will run a serious risk of having her visa cancelled if she tries to stay 6 month and then return almost immediately but equally the 6 month in 12 is only a guideline. My wife had consecutive long visit visas over a 8 year period and just before we settled in the UK we made several visits ranging from 2 weeks to a few months and we were grilled on one trip and told she should apply to settle if we planned to remain in the UK. I explained why the multiple trips (Sick mother) and she was allowed in no worries. We then decided to move back and she obtained a settlement visa and we moved.

NB at the time there were no exit checks so she could easily have been in the UK for 6 months on each visit
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Blog Entries

Have a read through the topic linked below, there is quite a bit of information there that should provide insight:

https://thailand-uk.com/forums/showt...-(visit-)-visa
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Thank you Ash and Tobias for your help..

Quote Originally Posted by tudorowen1 View Post
    My Thai wife has a Thai friend who is visiting her husband and child for 6 months..She has been granted a 2 year visit visa..She seems to think that when she returns after six months of being in the UK she can return within a few weeks..But I am under the impression she has to be out of the country for 6 months..Who is correct please?
    I thought the same when my wife applied for a two year VV as her second in 2015. I thought we could take a holiday in Turkey for a couple of weeks and she could come back. After getting, what I thought was a definitive answer to the six month question she went home armed with everything she needed to apply for a settlement visa apart from her TB test, which she had to get in Bangkok. It was a total waste of time applying for the two year VV.

You will hear that there is "no six month rule" as it's only a guideline but if you can find somebody who can explain under what circumstances somebody can stay for longer than the 180 days I would be surprised. I've asked the question many times and nobody has been able to answer it. Apparently the guideline was removed recently and I still can’t get an answer to it.

For us it was safer to just get married and remove any doubt and worry. I wouldn’t have forgiven myself if my wife had been banned etc as there was no way I would have been able to spend much in Thailand back then.

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    It was a total waste of time applying for the two year VV.
    We had several multi year visa's and they were definitely not a waste of time as each application involved 2 days travelling to Paris with the associated costs. We traveled to the UK multiple times through the year for vacations and family visits and in the year prior to moving back my wife stayed a total of 7 months approx without problems except for being quizzed at the port of Hull one time just before she got her ILE visa.

The circumstances about staying longer than 6 months in 12 are that its not a pseudo settlement visa and in our case the fact of my mothers cancer and that we lived in France but needed to be available for my mother satisfied the immigration officer. When my mother died we then decided to settle that was an independent choice.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

I should have said that it was a waste of time for us because we just wanted to be together. In our case it would have been a pseudo settlement visa.

I should have said that it was a waste of time for us because we just wanted to be together. In our case it would have been a pseudo settlement visa.
    Yep, and as I'm sure you know rasg, that's why the problems occur.

Personally I don't see the problem. I once had plans to spend 6 month here and 6 months there but when I asked UK Immigration about this they told me it wasn't possible - they'd allow it for so long but at some point my wife would be told to apply for a settlement visa. When I said that won't work because my Mrs would be in and out, I was more or less told it wasn't their problem.

Blog Entries

... You will hear that there is "no six month rule" as it's only a guideline but if you can find somebody who can explain under what circumstances somebody can stay for longer than the 180 days I would be surprised. I've asked the question many times and nobody has been able to answer it. Apparently the guideline was removed recently and I still can’t get an answer to it ...
    There is no six month rule, just a maximum stay of six months on each entry. The rule doesn't exist because it is up to the person visiting the UK to demonstrate that the sole purpose for their visit on each arrival is that of a genuine visitor. Ash has given you one example of how a six-month rule could prejudice an individual's ability to spend more than six months in the UK in circumstances where the visa national is that of a genuine visitor.

The person presenting themselves at the border is either a genuine visitor or they are not, and it is the person presenting themselves at the border to demonstrate they are a genuine visitor and not using the visa for quasi-settlement.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

My wife(fiancee, at the time) spent a total of nine months here in Newcastle on two separate VV's, in a twelve month period. She stayed for 3 months from January - March, 2017 and from the middle of September to the middle of March, this year, which is exactly what we asked for in each application. I know these were 6 month Visas but if the 6 month rule applied, surely they wouldn't have granted them?
    Last edited by Melteddrummer; 19th Oct 2018 at 20:30. Reason: typo

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    There is no six month rule, just a maximum stay of six months on each entry. The rule doesn't exist because it is up to the person visiting the UK to demonstrate that the sole purpose for their visit on each arrival is that of a genuine visitor. Ash has given you one example of how a six-month rule could prejudice an individual's ability to spend more than six months in the UK in circumstances where the visa national is that of a genuine visitor.

The person presenting themselves at the border is either a genuine visitor or they are not, and it is the person presenting themselves at the border to demonstrate they are a genuine visitor and not using the visa for quasi-settlement.
    The whole package of the application win the lotto and i would have a house in 4 countries and visit one every 3 months ,sound like Micheal Hutchinson then he lossed all his money trying to bend the rules