Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

Default 800,000 baht in bank for visa

Hi all, just a quick question, the 800,000 baht in the bank required for the retirement visa in Thailand, does this have to be in Thai bank account, or can it be the equivalent to 800,000 baht in a U.K. Bank account? Also would money saved in an ISA account count as savings??
    many thanks
    essexboys

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Needs to be in a Thai bank and in not fixed term account.

.. also the account must be in your name only. As already mentioned, it must be in Thailand and be instantly accessible. The point being that you have that amount readily available to spend over the subsequent 12 months.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Thank you gents for your answers, I have a Thai bank account with Bangkok bank now, opened it up on my recent trip there.....I will start putting the money in soon as I'm hoping to be in Thailand for good in November 2019. Bank account is in my name only.
    many thanks gents
    essexboys

Quote Originally Posted by Essex boys View Post
    I have a Thai bank account with Bangkok bank now, opened it up on my recent trip there...
    Might I ask if there were any hoops to jump through or what was needed to do this?

I have tried previously but the branches of Bangkok Bank that I have tried want a 6500 baht payment of a years "insurance" to open an account.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Hi Gary & Nok, my girlfriends work mate was a friend of a cashier in the bank I think she stood as a 'guarantor ' for me, I went to the bank with my girlfriend and her work colleague, I had to show my passport and my contract of employment (strange I know but true) the girlfriend showed her blue book for her house and her government ID, the work colleague showed her government ID and we both signed a form ( this is why I think she had stood as a guarantor for me, to say she knew me) I handed over 2,000 baht to open the account and that was it, I left with my passbook and ATM card. I was asked if I wanted to take out a yearly insurance policy this was 5,600 baht, but I said no as I wasn't living in Thailand full time yet, the cashier was ok about it and that was it. I opened my account in a small Bangkok branch not far from central plaza in khon kaen.
    hope this helps
    essexboys

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Just wanted to throw a curved ball here, any answers or suggestions appreciated.
    although I love being in Thailand and me and the girlfriend have a great relationship, I'm always mindful of the fact that I'm only there for 2-3 weeks each visit so of course it's all positive. What my plan was was to go and stay for a year and see how life is in Thailand, how myself and the girlfriend get on etc, I planned on taking about £10,000 for the year, so what I'm asking advice on is, is there a way of staying for up to a year without making a retirement visa and therefore tying up £18,000 in a Thai bank account? My thinking is if it doesn't work out for me in Thailand, I can leave and try elsewhere ( France or Spain were always on my back up list of places to live) I just didn't want to then have to convert a load of Thai baht into another currency and possibly lose a shed load of money. I was thinking if I could get maybe a 6 month visa without committing loads of money into a Thai bank account.
    i look forward to any advice and suggestions
    many thanks
    essexboys

I take it you will be Single IE without getting Wed to your GF ?
    First thing I would point out is whatever the Visa rules are now may not be the same in a years time.
    I did think there was a 6 months Multi - Entry Visa available, giving stays of up to 60 days per entry IE would need to leave and come back to TH and this could be extended prior to it running out of validity at the end of that you could get Visas at nearby locations IE Laos, Malaysia (KL + Penang) or could go out and come back get a 30 day Visa Exemption which then can be extended by a further 30 days etc .
    A point of warning if using a 30 day Visa Exception by Land your only allowed 2 in a 12 month period.
    The Single Entry Visas can also be extended once in TH , 60 day extendable by 30 days , for these Visas (if still available) you may need to show funds but not necessarily in a Thai bank, I know the last two 12 month Multi - Entry Visas I acquired (based on marriage to a Thai) in Singapore , I just needed to show equivalent of Thai Baht but I was OK to use UK banks.
    Im thinking possibly the 6 months Multi - Entry would need to show funds, not sure about the Single Entries. Im not up to date with tourist Visas, but hopefully a starting point for research and or further advice.
    Good luck with it, refreshing to see someone "dipping their toes in first" and having a back up plan, although I would swap France for Malta / Cyprus (Southern portion)
    PS worth checking travel insurance policies that will cover such a trip, read the small print IE some offer only a maximum of 60 days per trip on a 12 month policy etc.
    bangkok mags

is there a way of staying for up to a year without making a retirement visa and therefore tying up £18,000 in a Thai bank account?
    Just buy the retirement visa "under the table" as they say, Don't put money in Thailand i never have, and if you don't like then leave as i did, i'm now in Bulgaria and it's cheaper here and nicer people Lol

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

If you are serious about living here then it makes sense to try to learn the language so I suggest you go to a language school to learn basic Thai. They will arrange an Education Visa (Ed) and it can be for one year.

Hi Ocala, for a long time I thought about living in bulgaria, I even bought a house in radovets, which I sold on and made a small profit, I just didn't like the prospect of a lot of smaller bulgarian villages being overrun with the gypsies from Romania, but yes what I experienced was ok, and yes the people were friendly. As for 'under the table' visa payments I know it has happened but I think that this type of thing is being tightened up on.

Hi James HKT, thanks for that advice, could well be worth looking into.

Hi sisaket, lots of good points there, certainly some good ideas and suggestions.
    i'm not married to the girlfriend, and won't go down that route untill I know how we get on living together full time, hence the question regarding visas without committing to much money into a Thai bank account

As for 'under the table' visa payments I know it has happened but I think that this type of thing is being tightened up on.
    It is the same as it's ever been trust me that won't change, i can even tell you who to see in imagination Lol, but hey up to you,

Oh i still live in Thailand as have a home there but looking to get out as don't like it anymore
    Last edited by Ocala; 30th Oct 2018 at 21:57.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Quote Originally Posted by Ocala View Post
    Just buy the retirement visa "under the table" as they say, Don't put money in Thailand i never have, and if you don't like then leave as i did, i'm now in Bulgaria and it's cheaper here and nicer people Lol
    I don't think we should be promoting this type of activity on such an esteemed forum.

A multi entry tourist visa obtained in the UK will give you around 9 months stay in Thailand if used correctly,
    obtain as close to leaving the UK, do a fresh entry just prior to the expiry date of the actual visa, and then extend that by 30 days.

any 'retirement' extension however obtained would require a non immigrant visa first, and the only way to obtain, for a non married person under state pension age would be by way of a conversion within Thailand.

another way would be to obtain a multi entry non immigrant 'O' 'A' visa from the Thai embassy in London, this once granted would give you a 1 year permission to stay stamp on each entry, within the validity of the 1 year visa, if a new entry is made just before the expiry date of the actual visa a fresh 1year permission to stay stamp would be given, making a 2 year stay in Thailand possible, 90 day address reports would be required, and in the 2nd year period a re-entry permit ( to preserve your permission to stay stamp)would be required for any trips out of Thailand.

On my last trip i went into local branch of bangkok bank and was told i have to be on tabien ban before i could open an account, went to amphur and was told i have to have lived in village (where my house is) for 6 months and have a local vouch for me before i could be on my house tabien ban. i am planning to retire next year but getting fed up eith conflicting info over there.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    I don't think we should be promoting this type of activity on such an esteemed forum.
    This forum is part of the real Thailand right? so this is what really happens in Thailand, rose tints off.

Quote Originally Posted by robert d View Post
    i went into local branch of bangkok bank
    where?

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Quote Originally Posted by Ocala View Post
    This forum is part of the real Thailand right? so this is what really happens in Thailand, rose tints off.
    Never said it wasn't, these forums do get read by authorities, I don't think we should be promoting things that go against Thai laws. Perhaps you could think between the lines rather than reading the lines.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Pretty sure it doesn't take the authorities reading a bulletin board to know what goes on, with respect they probably benefit in their own ways

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    these forums do get read by authorities, I don't think we should be promoting things that go against Thai laws.
    It's the authorities that break the law everyday, I've sat in soi 5 imagination jomtien whilst buying my visa and watched at least 30-40 passports being dealt with all in a biscuit tin plus full of cash, and for your info the top brass comes down from Bangkok now and then to collect his (cut) tea money this i have also seen, tell me jimbo have you ever been stopped for no reason by the law in Thailand and paid a fine for nothing? as so many do every day all over the country if so did you report them?

"Pretty sure it doesn't take the authorities reading a bulletin board to know what goes on, with respect they probably benefit in their own ways "

Uknow how it is nick

Hi Ocala, branch was not far from central plaza in khon kaen, it was on a little shopping area don't know the exact name of the area