Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Suspended

I thought robert d wrote that?

If you buy the visa at immigration they sort out the bank, i already had Bangkok bank opened in Pattaya years ago, they put the 800,000 in/out and sorted, keep your money out of the country as the rate is so bad right now, Oh it's what immigration want really they make more money, the silly signs that are up "good guys in bad guys out" what a load of crap that is, as far as i see it they are creaming it more so now, my 3rd visa ran out in June this year and when i'm back in Jan i'll buy another simple
    Last edited by Ocala; 31st Oct 2018 at 22:39.

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    If you are serious about living here then it makes sense to try to learn the language so I suggest you go to a language school to learn basic Thai. They will arrange an Education Visa (Ed) and it can be for one year.
    Whether you are living in UK or elsewhere there is a Thai language course called Thai-Style https://www.learnthaistyle.com/learning-options, started by a Thai lady living in the UK. I thought I would share it as I have benefitted from it immensely.

There is a variety of options, "basic speak Thai", "speak every-day Thai", and "read and write Thai", through to corporate packages. There is a one off registration fees (I went for the Read/Write course at £139) and you get excellent printed material and audio files to keep for life. You sign up with a native Thai teacher, either locally or via Skype, for £12 an hour in the UK (£15 if you're in Thailand). It's less impersonal than a classroom or distance learning option although maybe not for everybody

Personally I went for face to face tuition with a local teacher. The Thai teachers all have excellent English, and they can give insight into Thai language and culture that no westerner who's lived out there for a lifetime of Sundays would ever know. All I'm saying is that the course is well structured, has been well thought out. I've been learning for 20 months, my teacher has finished her university in the UK and moved back to Bangkok now but she is now a friend of my wife and myself and has help my Thai speaking immeasurably. As I've benefited
    Last edited by PEL2112UK; 4th Nov 2018 at 10:29.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

OP was taking about obtaining a visa to live in Thailand and the necessity of having 800,000 in the bank. James was pointing out the benefits of learning Thai and that you could obtain an Education visa to learn Thai in Thailand for 1 year.
    Last edited by jimmbo60; 4th Nov 2018 at 12:35.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

Hi all, thank you for your replys, following up on James HKT suggestion, I have made enquiries at khon kaen university regarding learning Thai as a foreigner, they do courses and I'm considering the options to use this way of getting an ED visa to study, the bonus is of course I will learn Thai language and no need to put out 800,000 baht into my bank account.
    once again many thanks
    essexboys

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    OP was taking about obtaining a visa to live in Thailand and the necessity of having 800,000 in the bank. James was pointing out the benefits of learning Thai and that you could obtain an Education visa to learn Thai in Thailand for 1 year.
    Thank you for correcting me, I do read English, as well as a little bit of Thai. I replied to "If you are serious about living here then it makes sense to try to learn the language". An Education Visa is a great idea, also, if like me anyone wanted to get a head start learning Thai before setting off for Thailand, I just shared (what I have found to be) a very successful (according to my wife) learning resource.
    Last edited by PEL2112UK; 4th Nov 2018 at 18:05.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

It will be very helpful to learn Thai or some Thai before coming here, but check to make sure the teacher is qualified or at the very minimum speaks Thai correctly. Depending on their background and level of education many Thais spell incorrectly and, for example, use incorrect qualifiers, sometimes slang or mix Esan / Cambodian in with Thai. For example many Farangs pick up what we call "bar Thai" which is a combination of all of the above and then find it very difficult to learn the language correctly.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    Farangs .
    Do you need to use such a backward word? can't you say foreigner? isn't that the word that you would use (foreigner) if you never knew about Thailand? i really hate the way foreigners use this word to describe themselves, All Asians are gooks right? Will you call all of them Gooks? no you won't but you allow this ❇❇❇❇ word into your vocabulary! SAD.

An off-topic discussion that continued in this thread about the word 'farang' has now been promoted to its own thread here.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด