Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Taking TV and Other Electric items to Thailand

I understand Thailand uses 220 volts not 240. As I wish to take some electronic items to Thailand; TV, DVD player, Steam Iron, Desktop PC, desk lamps etc. Will this be a problem any advice welcome.

They will all work just fine.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Are you taking them as part of resettlement?
    Are they new or used?

All used, based on my wife being a returning citizen.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

UK to Thailand i do not know always use a adapter for plugs ,but Thail to UK anything can happen wife's hair dryer ,straightener and mobile all went kaput

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    All used, based on my wife being a returning citizen.
    In that case you should not pay tax. Anything new still in boxes that doesn't look new would be subject to tax.

Suspended

We brought everything over and paid no tax they don't check either and everything is working fine.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

We had to pay tax on unopened items, and I know plenty people that have as well. you were lucky.

When Nok and I had our condo in BKK, I brought over quality kitchen electricals from the UK such as a toaster, kettle and sandwich maker. These all worked fine and we passed them on to the Thai in-laws when we came back to the UK in 2015.

One caveat, however. I made a point of removing the UK plugs and replacing them with US three-pin plugs which the Thais have adopted. This is safer than using a basic UK to US type three-pin converter plug because these adapters will reverse the Live (L) and Neutral (N) which could be unsafe, especially in a kitchen. In a UK electrical wall socket, Earth is at the top and L is on the right but in a Thai electrical wall socket, if the Earth is at the top then L is on the left. I brought a socket polarity tester with me from the UK which confirmed that this was certainly the case in our condo.

The US-style three-pin plugs used in Thailand are readily available from Tesco Lotus, Big C and Home Pro and are easy to wire up and fit. I used these for our toaster, kettle and toastie-maker to avoid the L and N reversal issue.

We brought some electrical items back to the UK from Thailand: good quality rice cooker, suki maker and Nok's beloved hair tongs. I removed the Thai plugs from these and rewired them correctly with UK plugs to avoid that L and N reversal. Again, this is easy to do. Just bear in mind that in Thailand they sometimes use US colours for wiring: Black = Live, and grey or white = Neutral.
    Last edited by Tom & Nok; 5th Nov 2018 at 08:08.
    "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    We had to pay tax on unopened items, and I know plenty people that have as well. you were lucky.
    Ours was packed in a crate to open would have meant it being repacked and all of it was used stuff nothing new.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Nok View Post
    When Nok and I had our condo in BKK, I brought over quality kitchen electricals from the UK such as a toaster, kettle and sandwich maker. These all worked fine and we passed them on to the Thai in-laws when we came back to the UK in 2015.

One caveat, however. I made a point of removing the UK plugs and replacing them with US three-pin plugs which the Thais have adopted. This is safer than using a basic UK to US type three-pin converter plug because these adapters will reverse the Live (L) and Neutral (N) which could be unsafe, especially in a kitchen. In a UK electrical wall socket, Earth is at the top and L is on the right but in a Thai electrical wall socket, if the Earth is at the top then L is on the left. I brought a socket polarity tester with me from the UK which confirmed that this was certainly the case in our condo.

The US-style three-pin plugs used in Thailand are readily available from Tesco Lotus, Big C and Home Pro and are easy to wire up and fit. I used these for our toaster, kettle and toastie-maker to avoid the L and N reversal issue.

We brought some electrical items back to the UK from Thailand: good quality rice cooker, suki maker and Nok's beloved hair tongs. I removed the Thai plugs from these and rewired them correctly with UK plugs to avoid that L and N reversal. Again, this is easy to do. Just bear in mind that in Thailand they sometimes use US colours for wiring: Black = Live, and grey or white = Neutral.
    i wondered why the misses hair tools went bang now i know LOL

Thank you all, also good advice in changing plugs rather than using adaptors.