Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Member สมาชิก

Hi all,

Thanks for all your posts on this thread, very helpful..

Could anyone tell me whether it's best for me, in terms of expediency, in order to apply for my wife's spouse VISA whether to;

a) apply for my child's first BRITISH passport whilst i'm in Thailand and wait for this to arrive (could be 6 weeks!) before applying for spouse VISA, or;

b) apply for a Thai passport for my child (just one week) and note the Thai passport number on the Spouse VISA application.

Just wondering if it's okay for baby to be included in Spouse VISA if Thai passport holder and not British passport holder.
    Ideally that would be the quickest scenario and then apply for baby's first British passport when we get back to the UK.

(Baby needs to come with Mum on spouse VISA)

If anyone has experience/knowledge of this would be most helpful.

Many thanks,
    Nick

Member สมาชิก

My understanding is the following: (someone correct me if wrong)

Your child is entitled to British citizenship so should be able to travel freely to the UK and not have any visa conditions imposed on them so them applying on a visa would be wrong (although I know people have).
    You can apply for certificate of entitlement to go in their Thai passport which would show their right to be in UK.

I am sure someone here will have a far better knowledge/ advice than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsw727 View Post
    You can apply for certificate of entitlement to go in their Thai passport which would show their right to be in UK.
    I know nothing of certificates of entitlement but surely to be of assistance, if one was available, to be of any use it would have to be obtainable faster than a British Passport?

Member สมาชิก

I think it's known as the right of abode as well.
    It's only useful if it is faster to process than the UK passport.
    I don't know where they process the ROA but the passport is processed in Liverpool (I think) and when I was looking up this before I read of the passport taking 6 months.

I looked into all of this in 2015 when trying to get my wife to UK before giving birth and it's a headache.
    Luckily she did and I didn't have to deal with this.

I was going to have to sort out out my kids UK passport or ROA and wait for that to arrive before then applying for my wife's visa.
    I know this adds on time to the waiting process and know that it would have been tough waiting for them.
    I know it adds a bit of time onto the whole overall process and makes it longer

Yes, agree.
    We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Member สมาชิก

Could anyone confirm whether i am able to apply for my wife's spouse VISA and include our child on the VISA application if our child is a Thai passport holder only and not a British passport holder (yet until we get to the UK)?

Many thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by nickuk View Post
    Could anyone confirm whether i am able to apply for my wife's spouse VISA and include our child on the VISA application if our child is a Thai passport holder only and not a British passport holder (yet until we get to the UK)?

Many thanks in advance
    Far easier to get the youngsters British Passport sorted, that way the kiddie wont need any type of Visa.
    bangkok mags

Member สมาชิก

Does anyone know if my child (baby) requires a TB screen along with my wife as part of my wife's VISA application?

Thanks

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Not if the child has a British Passport

Member สมาชิก

Thanks to everyone for your input on this post.

I've made the application for my baby's first British passport at the Trendy building in BKK today so fingers crossed it's successful and i receive it within the advised 4-6 weeks.

- Cheers, Nick

Member สมาชิก

Glad to hear it.
    I hope the process goes smooth and quickly and best of luck with the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Not if the child has a British Passport
    Isn't it amazing how a British passport works so well at warding off TB?!

Diplomatic passports have the same effect apparently in babies and adults...

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    Isn't it amazing how a British passport works so well at warding off TB?!

Diplomatic passports have the same effect apparently in babies and adults...
    Like barclaycard accepted world wide lol

Member สมาชิก

Sorry guys, I have another quick query if you could help?!

Does anyone know if the details for the marriage on the affirmation of freedom to marry have to be accurate? I just wondered as i am in BKK at the moment and have appt at the Embassy on 4th Jan. I was intending to get married the following week but i now have to return to the UK on the 6th and do not know for sure when i will be able to come back. - which also means i don't know if i can have the translation and MFA certification done in time?

I wondered that if i detailed the initial date we had planned and we didn't marry on that date, would that cause a problem when coming to do the translation and/or MFA certifying when i return to Thailand?

Thanks!

- Hope you all had a good Christmas!

Your affirmation is only valid for the date and at the location you put on the form. Some people get away with simply putting 'January' but I was pulled on that at the embassy and told to insert the actual date.

Member สมาชิก

I did the affirmation yesterday and only stated 'January' and there was no problem.

- Note: I only did the affirmation and not the certified passport but it turns out that the district offices now have changed their policy and request that all foreigners have the certified copied passport as well as the affirmation.
    Luckily i have a contact in BKK who knows someone at the office and has managed to have the passport copy certification waived as long as I put 1500BHT in an envelope at the district office!

Quote Originally Posted by nickuk View Post
    I did the affirmation yesterday and only stated 'January' and there was no problem.

- Note: I only did the affirmation and not the certified passport but it turns out that the district offices now have changed their policy and request that all foreigners have the certified copied passport as well as the affirmation.
    Luckily i have a contact in BKK who knows someone at the office and has managed to have the passport copy certification waived as long as I put 1500BHT in an envelope at the district office!
    You were lucky - hopefully they have realised that a degree of flexibility may be needed. I had to state the specific date.

The certified translation of a foreign passport has been a requirement for a while now.

Member สมาชิก

We got the marriage done at the Metropolis on Wednesday last week. I opted to use a local assistant/professional to help. Some of you may be familiar with her, her name is 'A' and she has an office near to the Phloen Chit BTS station, where all the translation shops are.

All in all, it was very expensive for what it was, which was essentially just assisting us with arranging the marriage at the office, and providing all the translated documents. They did do the certification at the MFS on my behalf so i did not need to attend and they had a contact at the registry office which meant we didn't have to que to have documents checked - so on that basis was convenient. However, the rate was 8500bht!!

When they went to the MFS, the MFS would not certify the affirmation because i only had 7 days left on my arrival VISA. This meant that I had to go to the big government building in Wattana to extend my VISA. (Apparently you need at least 10 days on your VISA to have anything certified at the MFA) Luckily again, 'A' had a contact at the government building and arranged a que jump for me so i was only there for approx. 2.5 hours, and managed to get the VISA extension and then the affirmation certified at the MFA all on the same day.

When we did the official signing and got the marriage certificates, one of the certificates had a number in my passport number incorrectly marked on the reverse of the certificate - When i raised this with 'A' she said that she would have it corrected and for me to go back to her office a few days later - So i went back today and all they/she's done is erased the number and gone over the erasion with the correct number, but really obvious it's been edited. I insisted that they issue a genuine certificate with the correct passport number instead of editing the certificate already issued but 'A' says that in Thailand they will not issue another certificate, only edit the original!

Question; Does anyone know whether that's true or whether they should issue me with another certificate with the correct details as a true original.

I am also having the Thai certificate certified at the MFA as I thought this might prove / go towards helping my wife with a schengen VISA when she comes to the UK?

So officially I'm married now and have all the documents ready for the spouse VISA.
    I'm just waiting on my child's passport to arrive which is the last document i need to complete the Spouse application.

I submitted the application for my child's passport and Liverpool office wrote to confirm entitlement. - They wrote to me requesting a letter from my child's mother (now my wife) for her agreement to the UK passport which I didn't include (didn't know was required) with the initial documents so I submitted my wife's covering letter at Trendy building a week ago and hoping for the child's passport to come through in the next week or so.

Just to confirm what i submitted for the baby's passport in case anyone needs the info;

2x passport photographs of child
    Child's original full Thai birth certificate inc. translated colour copy
    Child's proof of address in Thailand inc. translated colour copy
    Father's (my) UK passport
    Father's (my) full birth certificate
    Mother's Thai passport
    Mother's photocopy of Thai I.D. card inc. translated colour copy
    Mother's original full Thai birth certificate inc. translated colour copy
    Mother's proof of address inc. translated colour copy
    Photocopied page of health record book of pregnancy from hospital
    3x family photos printed on paper (at the birth)
    Cover letter from child's mother confirming her agreement to the UK passport

EDIT: I forgot to mention that subsequent to the above passport docs; Liverpool requested both my mother and father's full birth certificates along with their marriage certificate to prove that I was British not by decent - these docs were sent by my parents to Liverpool from within the UK, and didn't need to be submitted from here in Thailand so there was no problem there.
    Last edited by nickuk; 14th Jan 2019 at 14:36.

Member สมาชิก

*Photocopied page of health record book of pregnancy from hospital
    *This also needed to be translated

Member สมาชิก

I received my child's UK passport at the Trendy Building yesterday - just 11 days (7 business days) from submitting the additional documents so all in all a swift service.

So I have now processed my wife's online Spouse VISA application and have her appointment booked tomorrow to submit the application. Fingers all crossed now and hopefully get an acceptance in the next few weeks. I'll report back with an update as and when.

- Wish me luck!