Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Spouse VISA for wife and child

Please does anyone know or could help with the below;

My girlfriend (soon to be wife) and i have a daughter together, born in May this year;

We haven't a passport for the baby yet as I will be applying for this when i get to Thailand in December. I wondered if i had to provide evidence that the baby is mine/british when applying for the Spouse VISA? And if so what evidence that would be? I have only a birth certificate so far which has been translated and certified and shows me as the father. Will i need the passport or any other documents?

My girlfriend also has a son from a previous relationship but he won't be coming to the UK as he lives with my girlfriend's mother and father. Do i need to make this known on the application that my gf has a son and if so what info should i provide? Do i need to show proof that my gf will not need to cover her sons expenses and if so how should i go about getting evidence for that, a written letter from my gf's mother and father perhaps?

Lastly, i need to get counter signatures for my baby's photos and passport application and also of my girlfriends passport photos for her VISA application. I'm struggling to think who i could get to do this for both cases? The baby is only 6 months old!

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

Nick

Nick, best thing to do is download the visa application form now and you will see what is required. Don't leave it until you get to LOS or you may find that you need certain info/documents.

Quote Originally Posted by nickuk View Post
    We haven't a passport for the baby yet as I will be applying for this when i get to Thailand in December.
    Why not apply for her British passport before you go?

I wondered if i had to provide evidence that the baby is mine/british when applying for the Spouse VISA? And if so what evidence that would be? I have only a birth certificate so far which has been translated and certified and shows me as the father.
    Birth Certificate may well be enough (check the visa form) perhaps someone could confirm this.

My girlfriend also has a son from a previous relationship but he won't be coming to the UK as he lives with my girlfriend's mother and father. Do i need to make this known on the application that my gf has a son and if so what info should i provide?
    Yes she will need to mention her son regardless of him coming to the UK or not. There is a section on the form about kids.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Member สมาชิก

I thought it was just a British person who could countersign but here is the answer I received from passport office when asking who can counter sign passport abroad:

For an overseas applicant the countersignature must hold a valid British, Irish, EU, Commonwealth or USA passport
    . If the countersignature holds an Irish, EU, Commonwealth or USA passport you must send a photocopy of the personal details page from their passport to support the application.
    https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/...child/thailand

Link to what you had to do.

I don't know if you know anyone in Thailand who can countersign but you can always get the photos and form countersigned by someone in UK (it says they have to know the person with parental responsibility and in this case it is your girlfriend as unmarried).

There's the certificate of right of abode which you can apply for if child has another passport.

I was nearly in this situation before my kid was born and had a friend who refused to help countersign but luckily we applied for a visa for my wife and she arrived in UK before my daughter was born.
    Last edited by Dsw727; 7th Nov 2018 at 13:17. Reason: fixed link

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Gary thanks a lot for your comments.

I haven't gone through the application form yet as i'm getting through all the supporting docs, cover letter first before i go ahead and apply. I will complete it though before i leave for LOS.

As i understand for the passport, i'm not able to apply whilst in the UK as i require mothers birth cert which i don't have as well as documents of evidence of address in LOS for my partner and I'm not able to have baby's photos countersigned? If anyone knows different to this please let me know.

Many thanks again mate

I haven't gone through the application form yet as i'm getting through all the supporting docs, cover letter first before i go ahead and apply. I will complete it though before i leave for LOS.
    Err OK.
    Sorry, but that sounds a bit backward to me as how do you know what supporting docs you need if you haven't gone through the form yet.
    You could be doing unnecessary or wrong work.

Anyway, good luck and if more questions ask away
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Rookie มือใหม่

do you know if i need to have my wife's birth certificate translated and certified for Spouse VISA or will the original and photocopy be okay without the translation?

Thanks

You don't need her birth certificate at all if I remember correctly.

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks Rasg, could anyone confirm this?

I need to apply for my child's UK passport whilst in Thailand and they need my wife's birth certificate and translated copy for that. I thought i would have had to wait to get my wife's BC back from the child's passport application before being able to apply for Spouse VISA, but if you're saying i don't need to provide BC for Spouse VISA then i could apply for both Spouse and child's passport sooner that i thought?

Thanks

Member สมาชิก

I've heard stories of the UK passport taking months to be processed.
    If you apply for your wife's spouse visa it could be granted before the passport is issued.

I need to apply for my child's UK passport whilst in Thailand and they need my wife's birth certificate and translated copy for that. I thought i would have had to wait to get my wife's BC back from the child's passport application before being able to apply for Spouse VISA, but if you're saying i don't need to provide BC for Spouse VISA then i could apply for both Spouse and child's passport sooner that i thought?
    She had to supply her ID card and passport for the settlement visa. She would have had to supply her birth certificate to get them. I just checked and I didn't supply my wife's birth certificate for her settlement visa.

Member สมาชิก

I supplied Birth Certificate on the basis that it is better to be safe than sorry.

But there is no need for it!

The only time I needed any birth certificate for any visa was for FLR for my wife's son and he wasn't even coming to the UK with her!

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks for the info mate

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Thanks for the info everyone, i'm getting through the application at the moment and i've noticed i need to provide passport no for 'dependants' who will be travelling with my wife to the UK so looks like i'm not able to apply for wife VISA before my child gets her passport.

I'm hoping i can pay for a 'fast track' passport application for my daughter so that we can have her passport back in time to apply for my wife's VISA before i leave Thailand.

I'll have 7 weeks in total so fingers crossed that's enough time?!

The docs i've been told i need for child's passport are;
    passport application form
    payment form
    child's original and certified translated BC
    Mother's original and certified BC
    My full BC
    2x proof of address of baby and Mum in Thailand
    2x passport photos of child countersigned by professional with British PP
    Notes of my M&F's (grandma & grandpa) passport no's to show i'm British NOT by descent

Do you think i need to include anything else?

Cheers to all
    Last edited by nickuk; Yesterday at 12:43.