Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farang

Default Farang

Quote Originally Posted by Ocala View Post
    Do you need to use such a backward word? can't you say foreigner? isn't that the word that you would use (foreigner) if you never knew about Thailand? i really hate the way foreigners use this word to describe themselves, All Asians are gooks right? Will you call all of them Gooks? no you won't but you allow this ❇❇❇❇ word into your vocabulary! SAD.

Farang is easier to spell than foreigner, east to get the i and e the wrong way round

Gook is derogatory, Farang has less connotations with that phrase, imo.
    Last edited by marshall; 6th Nov 2018 at 19:10.
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Ocala View Post
    Do you need to use such a backward word? can't you say foreigner? isn't that the word that you would use (foreigner) if you never knew about Thailand? i really hate the way foreigners use this word to describe themselves, All Asians are gooks right? Will you call all of them Gooks? no you won't but you allow this ❇❇❇❇ word into your vocabulary! SAD.
    I will use whatever words I chose too, if you don't like what I say or how I say it don't read my posts, and I'm pretty sure there's an option here to do just that automatically.

There is nothing offensive about the word "farang" and perhaps since I interact with all levels and backgrounds of Thais on a regular basis for work I use it in a similar fashion. Only someone either ignorant of Thai custom/language would think otherwise.

To anyone interested I found a sensible explanation for the use of the term farang that anyone living in Thailand for a reasonable period will probably agree with;

" So really, believe me, the word 'farang' is not in itself insulting. My own wife uses it about me as a matter of course and I would be rather surprised if she meant it in a bad way.

That is not to say that 'farang' is actually a polite word. It may not be an insulting word but it is what we might consider to be casual or common language. It is a little like calling someone a Brit rather than British, an Aussie rather than Australian or a Yank rather than American. They are not actually insulting monikers in themselves but they are casual terms that encourage the feel that they may be used in either an affectionate or derogatory manner.

I think this is what has really cultivated the myth that farang is an insulting word. It is not that it is an insulting word but more that it is lower class language.
    "

Source and text in full: http://www.knowphuket.com/thai_langu...her-people.htm

To conclude I agree with that author, there are some small minded ignorant angry people who are determined to "be insulted " whenever possible and then "come out swinging" to the supposed source of the insult.

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    " So really, believe me, the word 'farang' is not in itself insulting.
    This is my view. But the words that sometimes come before and then follow on, can be.
    'Tis me

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

My understanding is farang is a slight corruption of the Thai word for French / France which were one of the earliest western explorers to came to Thailand, and that it is just a word that describes any kind of foreigner, I personally don't have an issue with it ( other than being described as French). Thailand is very different in attitudes to the UK so expecting not to be refered to in a perceived derogatory way isn't going to happen, it always amuses me when they charge foreigners more to enter places, I like to imagine that happening in the UK and the meltdown that would happen if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel&panada View Post
    My understanding is farang is a slight corruption of the Thai word for French / France which were one of the earliest western explorers to came to Thailand, and that it is just a word that describes any kind of foreigner, I personally don't have an issue with it ( other than being described as French). Thailand is very different in attitudes to the UK so expecting not to be refered to in a perceived derogatory way isn't going to happen, it always amuses me when they charge foreigners more to enter places, I like to imagine that happening in the UK and the meltdown that would happen if it did.
    I thought that also but apparently not since the first Europeans to come here were Portuguese.

Maybe because the French were instrumental in delineating the region?

Most historians agree that the word 'farang' long pre-dates the naming of France. Both 'farang' and 'France' got their names, quite separately, from a Germanic tribe in the early Middle Ages called the Franks who travelled extensively across Asia around that time. The word 'farang' is of Persian origin and variants of it exist all over Asia, including Thailand.

A fairly well written description can be found here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang
    Last edited by maokaang; 8th Nov 2018 at 05:55.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

The term 'Farang'... I think people who regularly come to visit Ohm and I or her parents should have the politeness to get know know my name, Ohm does help out in this matter, as I am still learning the language. Strangers when out don't really bother me when they use it. With both I let it go over my head as I am learning that there is no malicious intent in the majority of cases and its just part of the daily vocabulary

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    The term 'Farang'... I think people who regularly come to visit Ohm and I or her parents should have the politeness to get know know my name, Ohm does help out in this matter, as I am still learning the language. Strangers when out don't really bother me when they use it. With both I let it go over my head as I am learning that there is no malicious intent in the majority of cases and its just part of the daily vocabulary
    If you mean people call you "farang" in place of Khun or your name I have never heard the term used in this manner. I have only heard it used to describe a person as a foreigner or a group of people as foreigners. I think if someone called you farang directly to your face,something like " hello farang" then that is rude, in my opinion.

If you are the only foreigner in the village or in a very small minority then often people will refer to you as Farang , its only offensive if you take offense. Most cultures have a generic term for groups of people e.g Mzungu is a Swahili term for whites , when in West Africa I was called le barbou or bearded one.

Bottom line really not bothered by words used to describe me but terms like Gook are highly offensive and inexcusable
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

I've never been in a village so will take Ash's word on that!

Quote Originally Posted by maokaang View Post
    'France' got their names, quite separately, from a Germanic tribe in the early Middle Ages called the Franks who travelled extensively across Asia around that time.

And interestingly Russia is named after the Rus - Vikings.

A few times I've heard the word farang used disparagingly but mostly it's not meant to cause offence, just simply means caucasion.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

I am the only farang in my village, I always hear the word farang said, usually by children. Very few people speak to me, fewer try, but always get smiles, never been asked my name. One lady always asks "gin kao".

But everyone knows where I live lol.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    Bottom line really not bothered by words used to describe me but terms like Gook are highly offensive and inexcusable
    I've never called anyone a 'Gook' (except Thai people whose name is 'Gook' ) or heard another person call a Thai person a 'Gook' (apart from those with that name). I think if you called a Thai person a 'Gook', they'd just look at you blankly and reply 'No, my name's Somchai'.

I think the word farang means 'white foreigner' mainly Brits, Australians, and Americans. Thais don't use farang for foreigners such as black, Indian or Chinese (so my wife says).

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    If you are the only foreigner in the village or in a very small minority then often people will refer to you as Farang , its only offensive if you take offense. Most cultures have a generic term for groups of people e.g Mzungu is a Swahili term for whites , when in West Africa I was called le barbou or bearded one.

Actually Ash just re read your post and I think you misunderstood me. My understanding was that this chap is called Farang in place of his name, and that is rude. For example if I met you and said " hey Brit how how are you", that is a bit rude. There's no problem with referring to him as a Farang, as in " there's a farang over there". It's a completely different thing.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    If you mean people call you "farang" in place of Khun or your name I have never heard the term used in this manner. I have only heard it used to describe a person as a foreigner or a group of people as foreigners. I think if someone called you farang directly to your face,something like " hello farang" then that is rude, in my opinion.
    They dont say hello farang but when they are taking about me, i am refered to as farang rather than my first name or indeed Khun. I find that a bit rude in mine and Ohm's place/land but as I said previously I dont let it worry me

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    They dont say hello farang but when they are taking about me, i am refered to as farang rather than my first name or indeed Khun. I find that a bit rude in mine and Ohm's place/land but as I said previously I dont let it worry me
    OK, I understand now. Yes I agree that's a bit off if they are visiting you and your partner in your house to refer to you like this. Any Thai that I have visiting my house or office would never do this. How does K. Ohm refer to you with these people out of interest?

I've been called a lot worse than 'Farang' in my time, haha. I'm not offended by much these days anyway.

Andy.