Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Join Date
    12 Nov 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default 1st trip to thailand

    So im going to Thailand for the first time at the end of January starting off in Bangkok then onto phuket, phi phi, krabi, pattaya and back to Bangkok to fly home. We’re going for 3 weeks and want to do as much as possible while were there, what things would you recommend doing in each of these places? Thank you


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2

    Default

    One of our favourite hotels is Shanghai Mansions in Bangkok. There is a an excellent, very atmospheric jazz bar in the lobby most evenings and Thai street food less than 100 yards away. Barbecued river prawns with a few beers. Heaven!

    Thai food almost anywhere. The best.

    Some amazing temples worth visiting. I'll think of more.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    28 Oct 2012
    Location
    Cleethorpes..the last resort.
    Posts
    956

    Default

    I would recommend not going anywhere in any white Toyota Minivan 14-15 seater between these places mentioned ..or on the back of a motorcycle taxi..and definitely do not hire a motorbike and just ride it in flip flops ,shirt and shorts..
    Are you flying from BKK to Phuket?..You will be surprised how far it is by road ..You could travel partway by train..

  4. #4
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Join Date
    12 Nov 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Hi we have sorted our hotels in bkk were in the Hilton Sukhumvit, Phuket is mazi design hotel Patong, phi phi is twin palm bungalow, krabi is aonang viva resort then areca lodge in pattaya. We are flying from bkk to Phuket then boat to phi phi and then to krabi & flying from krabi to bkk to go home


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Old Hand มือเก่า
    Join Date
    10 Aug 2005
    Location
    Chonburi
    Posts
    1,520

    Default

    You have a very little time to fully appreciate the places you're planning. I would recommend skipping Pattaya altogether, but that's just me!

  6. #6
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    28 May 2010
    Location
    sattahip
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Be aware that Koh Phi Phi Ley is currently closed so no access to Maya bay. Phi Phi Don is still good but many go solely to visit Maya Bay. Agree totally with caller skip Pattaya. Make sure you visit Railay, Phra Nang and the islands Tub, Chicken and Poda (boat tour or hire your long tailed boat if there is a few of you) when in Krabi

  7. #7
    Premium Member caller's Avatar
    Join Date
    7 Sep 2005
    Location
    Hua Hin & Bangkok
    Posts
    5,617

    Default

    Is this a male only holiday or a couples holiday?

    Each to their own and all that, but I think you've taken too much on. Bkk and Patts together makes sense, as does the Southern part on it's own, or with a few nights in Bkk, but all together I'm not so sure about, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it whatever.

    I can't help you with Patts or Patong (which I didn't like), but Phuket Town is worth a visit.

    In Bangkok, obviously the Grand Palace and reclining Buddha is a must, a cruise along the river is worthwhile. If in Bkk at the weekend, a trip to Chatuchak market is an experience - there's some great artists selling their wares there, Asiatique (evening market) on the river is worth a look, check out one of the red light district areas for a bit of fun (literally if so inclined) and just soak up the buzz of the place. There are still areas that sell street-food, despite the junta trying to ban them and gross out in one the big stores. Siam Paragon and MBK are linked to each other via the Siam Centre (Siam BTS), in one direction, or just wander between Siam and Chit Lom BTS stations along the walkway between the road and trains above in the other direction and pop into any Mall you fancy, taking in the Erewan Shrine on the way.

    If you're into watches, Siam Paragon has the biggest selection under one roof (ground floor) and usually excellent discounts are offered and you can claim the VAT back (6%).
    'Tis me

  8. #8
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Join Date
    12 Nov 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    Is this a male only holiday or a couples holiday?

    Each to their own and all that, but I think you've taken too much on. Bkk and Patts together makes sense, as does the Southern part on it's own, or with a few nights in Bkk, but all together I'm not so sure about, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it whatever.

    I can't help you with Patts or Patong (which I didn't like), but Phuket Town is worth a visit.

    In Bangkok, obviously the Grand Palace and reclining Buddha is a must, a cruise along the river is worthwhile. If in Bkk at the weekend, a trip to Chatuchak market is an experience - there's some great artists selling their wares there, Asiatique (evening market) on the river is worth a look, check out one of the red light district areas for a bit of fun (literally if so inclined) and just soak up the buzz of the place. There are still areas that sell street-food, despite the junta trying to ban them and gross out in one the big stores. Siam Paragon and MBK are linked to each other via the Siam Centre (Siam BTS), in one direction, or just wander between Siam and Chit Lom BTS stations along the walkway between the road and trains above in the other direction and pop into any Mall you fancy, taking in the Erewan Shrine on the way.

    If you're into watches, Siam Paragon has the biggest selection under one roof (ground floor) and usually excellent discounts are offered and you can claim the VAT back (6%).
    It's not a male only holiday but were all close friends and know what Thailand is renowned for so there will be plenty of that haha, we’re only in bkk for 2 nights and phi phi for 3 I think it is.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Join Date
    12 Nov 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    Be aware that Koh Phi Phi Ley is currently closed so no access to Maya bay. Phi Phi Don is still good but many go solely to visit Maya Bay. Agree totally with caller skip Pattaya. Make sure you visit Railay, Phra Nang and the islands Tub, Chicken and Poda (boat tour or hire your long tailed boat if there is a few of you) when in Krabi
    Hi do you know if / when it's planned to re open?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Old Hand มือเก่า
    Join Date
    27 Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hayden158 View Post
    So im going to Thailand for the first time at the end of January starting off in Bangkok then onto phuket, phi phi, krabi, pattaya and back to Bangkok to fly home. We’re going for 3 weeks and want to do as much as possible while were there, what things would you recommend doing in each of these places? Thank you


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a little bit confusing. You mention that you are and we're going to Thailand for 3 weeks. Are you going on a family holiday or are you going on your own or with your Thai wife /friend.?
    If you're planning to visit BKK, Phuket, Krabi and Pattaya for 3 weeks, then 3 weeks will not be long enough.

    Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Join Date
    12 Nov 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    It's a little bit confusing. You mention that you are and we're going to Thailand for 3 weeks. Are you going on a family holiday or are you going on your own or with your Thai wife /friend.?
    If you're planning to visit BKK, Phuket, Krabi and Pattaya for 3 weeks, then 3 weeks will not be long enough.

    Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    Hi, sorry for the confusion there is 6 of us that are going we would have definitely gone longer but could only get this amount of time off work, sounds like we may have been to ambitious possibly worth looking at just spending the day in phi phi giving us longer somewhere else?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Join Date
    12 Nov 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default

    From what I've found out and heard about Thailand I don't think any amount of time will be long enough there's so much to do in each area, have any of you done a sky bar in bkk? I've heard Bangkok is mind-blowing how busy and big it is and just to go and experience it, in my head I'm doing something every day but I bet I'll be the same and only do about 50% will have to get a good massage as soon as I get there to relax myself . Watching a good Muay Thai boxing match is high on my list of things to get done, is the safari world in koh sok? If it is I originally wanted to do the 3-day safari there


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    22 Nov 2003
    Location
    Egremont Cumbria
    Posts
    994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hayden158 View Post
    From what I've found out and heard about Thailand I don't think any amount of time will be long enough there's so much to do in each area, have any of you done a sky bar in bkk?
    We did two roof top bars on our last trip, I prefered the Red Sky Bar.

    https://www.marriott.com/hotel-resta...8/home-page.mi

    https://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/redsky/

    I also agree with Keith regarding the night food markets. As you are only staying two nights in BKK, then I would get the MRT at Asoke and go to the Ratchada Rot Fai Night Market, then head back and go to the Red Sky Bar.

    As for travel money, we take new £50 notes and get them changed at one of the Super Rich branches. Using the ATMS comes with a 220bht fee, you can easily burn a hole in your spending money if you only make small withdrawls.
    Last edited by Greg / Pairin; 13th Nov 2018 at 18:57.

  14. #14
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Join Date
    12 Nov 2018
    Posts
    10

    Default 1st trip to thailand

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg / Pairin View Post
    We did two roof top bars on our last trip, I prefered the Red Sky Bar.

    https://www.marriott.com/hotel-resta...8/home-page.mi

    https://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/redsky/

    I also agree with Keith regarding the night food markets. As you are only staying two nights in BKK, then I would get the MRT at Asoke and go to the Ratchada Rot Fai Night Market, then head back and go to the Red Sky Bar.

    As for travel money, we take new £50 notes and get them changed at one of the Super Rich branches. Using the ATMS comes with a 220bht fee, you can easily burn a hole in your spending money if you only make small withdrawls.
    A few of the people were going with want to do the river cruise in bkk & those food markets look great especially the one with the Ferris wheel.

    Regarding money what's a good amount of spending money to have per day & would you get a set amount out while in each location or carry it all on you?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    20 Jul 2015
    Posts
    237

    Default

    For River Cruises use the orange Ferry. Dead cheap and a wonderful experience can use it to get to grand palace wat Arun and Nina Town. It also links with the skytrain

  16. #16

    Default

    I forgot the Muay Thai. The first date with my wife was to the boxing stadium in Patong. It was a fun night and the best fight was between two women. Fantasea is a great night too.

    Second date was Phi Phi but it was busy and dirty back in 2015. We did the river cruise/dinner in Bangkok too.

  17. #17
    Premium Member sisaket's Avatar
    Join Date
    7 Jan 2007
    Location
    UK / Bangkok
    Posts
    1,847

    Default

    "A few of the people were going with want to do the river cruise in bkk & those food markets look great especially the one with the Ferris wheel".

    That is Asiatique @ Riverfront, they have their own free Ferry Shuttles from Sathorn Pier at Saphan Taksin BTS, the stop before the line runs over the river. Asiatique was an old riverfront warehouse district, now turned into a tourist attraction, using the ferry shuttle just before arriving at their pier on the left side you can see a large reclining Buddha, you can get to it by going out to the main road and walk back towards Sathorn (left) carry on until you see signs for the River Express Boats / Wat Worchanyawas, follow down to the river and it's on the right.
    There is another Rod Fai Night Market called Srinakarin and it's behind Seacon Square Mall in Prawet but possibly too far out the way for you.
    Baiyoke Tower is now the 3rd tallest building in BKK, two recent additions to the skyline are taller, I have never eaten up there, but people I know have and enjoyed the experience you can buy tickets online. I get Emails from this company : https://www.hotels2thailand.com/bang...restaurant.asp
    They often send out promotions. Check the links at the bottom for other destinations IE Pattaya etc.
    bangkok mags

  18. #18
    Guest Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,995

    Default

    You appear to be going with a group of people. If that is a group of couples, I would give Pattaya a miss. I know of more than one pair that entered Pattaya as a couple and left separately.

    For me, Pattaya is great for a night out, in fact there are few places better - especially for blokes. Would I want to stay longer than one night? Not these days, the traffic there is often worse than Bangkok and even away from the popular areas, it doesn't reflect the real Thailand. Last time I went to the beach there it was filthy. If its partying you're after then yes, you can have a good time in Pattaya but it has little more to offer than 'gentlemens entertainment' - I guess it depends on what you're going for. These days I love a night out in Pattaya but I'm glad to see it in my car's mirrors as I leave.

    When I travel abroad, I do so to see the sights, enjoy the weather and see a different way of life - spending more than a day in Pattaya is to me, much like going to Benidorm - it does not give a true indication of any of the things I'm looking for.

    When you've had your first trip you will no doubt want to go back for more. If you continue, you will most likley, in time, develop an interest in seeing 'the real Thailand'. After 16 years I'm still discovering and learn more each trip. I have a home, far away from the normal westerner tourist areas and intend moving there permanently soon. I thought the nearby town/city of Pak Chong had little to offer in terms of nightlife - which was the only thing that was missing for me. I have since discovered 3 nightclubs, several bars and some great restaurants.

    Then again, some of the entertainment the Thai's have is a little weird - well to us anyway. One of the bars I go to in Pak Chong - a place called Blacklist is quite a big place with lots of tables, a pool table and live music. Last time I was there, a Thai friend I was drinking with told me another Thai friend was there fishing. Fishing? I was taken through the bar to the back where there were dozens of people, all sat around a pond fishing. Apparently you pay 100 baht for a set amount of time and what you catch (mainly Shrimps), you keep. Not the sort of activity one would find in a UK bar I'd suggest .

    Outside the main tourist areas and away from tourist travel routes, many of the local attractions can be hard to spot - much of the signage is in Thai only and that's when it exists at all. I've been there for nearly 5 years now and I find something new on every trip - more by accident than plan.

    Very hard to make suggestions as to where to go in Thailand, its all very subjective but I note you've chosen all the most expensive but usual destinations. Next time, go East from Bangkok - past Pattaya and down to the Eastern Islands - Koh Samet, Koh Chang, Koh Mak, Ko Kuud and the towns along the way. Go North to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and go North East to the national Parks around Petchabun and Nakhon Ratchasima.

  19. #19
    Old Hand มือเก่า
    Join Date
    10 Aug 2005
    Location
    Chonburi
    Posts
    1,520

    Default

    Avoid any parks with animals or safaris. Animal exploitation, abuse, whatever you want to call it, is right up there with the worst the planet has to offer.

  20. #20
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    28 May 2010
    Location
    sattahip
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Unfortunately its indefinite due to coral damage.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...d-indefinitely
    It's a truly wonderful place but the crowds spoil it. There was a tour company from Phi Phi Don doing a very early tour thus missing all the crowds and you could have stayed in tented accommodation overnight but they have all stopped now.
    Don't miss out Railay and the islands off Ao Nang they are very special too.

Similar Threads

  1. Trip to Thailand
    By Lulu in forum Transport
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 14th Feb 2018, 04:40
  2. Thailand [Trip] Report
    By Andy R in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 16th Aug 2014, 01:09
  3. Trip to thailand
    By Dogfather in forum UK Visas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24th Mar 2013, 11:02
  4. Win A Trip To Thailand
    By Gary & Nok in forum Games Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th Oct 2010, 11:09

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •