Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rookie มือใหม่

Also Thank you for all this information its hard to reply to everyone but I am taking it all in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by hayden158 View Post
    From what I've found out and heard about Thailand I don't think any amount of time will be long enough there's so much to do in each area, have any of you done a sky bar in bkk?
    We did two roof top bars on our last trip, I prefered the Red Sky Bar.

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-resta...8/home-page.mi

https://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/redsky/

I also agree with Keith regarding the night food markets. As you are only staying two nights in BKK, then I would get the MRT at Asoke and go to the Ratchada Rot Fai Night Market, then head back and go to the Red Sky Bar.

As for travel money, we take new £50 notes and get them changed at one of the Super Rich branches. Using the ATMS comes with a 220bht fee, you can easily burn a hole in your spending money if you only make small withdrawls.
    Last edited by Greg / Pairin; 13th Nov 2018 at 18:57.

Rookie มือใหม่

Default 1st trip to thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Greg / Pairin View Post
    We did two roof top bars on our last trip, I prefered the Red Sky Bar.

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-resta...8/home-page.mi

https://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/redsky/

I also agree with Keith regarding the night food markets. As you are only staying two nights in BKK, then I would get the MRT at Asoke and go to the Ratchada Rot Fai Night Market, then head back and go to the Red Sky Bar.

As for travel money, we take new £50 notes and get them changed at one of the Super Rich branches. Using the ATMS comes with a 220bht fee, you can easily burn a hole in your spending money if you only make small withdrawls.
    A few of the people were going with want to do the river cruise in bkk & those food markets look great especially the one with the Ferris wheel.

Regarding money what's a good amount of spending money to have per day & would you get a set amount out while in each location or carry it all on you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For River Cruises use the orange Ferry. Dead cheap and a wonderful experience can use it to get to grand palace wat Arun and Nina Town. It also links with the skytrain

I forgot the Muay Thai. The first date with my wife was to the boxing stadium in Patong. It was a fun night and the best fight was between two women. Fantasea is a great night too.

Second date was Phi Phi but it was busy and dirty back in 2015. We did the river cruise/dinner in Bangkok too.

The Safari World is in Bangkok is this one... http://www.safariworld.com/

Nong Nooch, outside Pattaya also has an elephant show and other animals, including tigers.

There are also snake farms etc, but Animal rights protestors might not be happy with many of the things found though.

We met up with a friend in Bangkok and went to a "posh" roof bar, can't remember it's name, but when we got there the roof bar was closed (it was still daylight, Thailand daytime is typically 6am to 6pm and it goes dark quickly so if you want daylight views you have to be before 6pm) and there was a staff meeting going on, however when they saw how disappointed we were they let us out and provided drinks, if I remember it's name I'll let you know. This did remind me of the Baiyoke Sky Hotel (tallest building in Thailand) though which has a viewing platform at the top that's worth a visit, there is also a restaurant on the 78th (I think) floor that IMHO is excellent and around £15 to £20 a head (buffet style, all types of cuisine). We even stayed in the Presidential Suite there last trip for a night as a treat and had change from £200 with VIP treatment and meal included, great views.

I normally have a foot massage after a wander around for the day, they are worth a try and typically from a couple of hundred baht depending on where you go.

Money per day is a bit harder to pin down on as everyone is different and bartering can help. If you were to allow 1000baht for taxis, 50 baht for Soffell ;-), 1000 baht for food, 2000 for drink and some miscellaneous costs then for £50 a day would suffice, double that and you could really push the boat out, especially if you're all sharing taxi costs etc. The most I have spent on a 2 week holiday to Thailand for 2 adults and a child was £8,000 all in and that included a 3 day trip to Hong Kong and Disneyland and covered all air fares, hotels and expenses and paying for meals for parties of up to 12 of the family in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by KhunIanB-UK View Post
    Money per day is a bit harder to pin down on as everyone is different and bartering can help. If you were to allow 1000baht for taxis, 50 baht for Soffell ;-), 1000 baht for food, 2000 for drink and some miscellaneous costs then for £50 a day would suffice, double that and you could really push the boat out, especially if you're all sharing taxi costs etc. .
    Everyone to their own, but 1000 baht for food and 2000 baht for drink and there is £70 gone already.

The market with the ferris wheel is Asiatique, I have never been as my inlaws class it as a tourist trap and your likely to pay more.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Old Hand มือเก่า

Avoid any parks with animals or safaris. Animal exploitation, abuse, whatever you want to call it, is right up there with the worst the planet has to offer.

Unfortunately its indefinite due to coral damage.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...d-indefinitely
    It's a truly wonderful place but the crowds spoil it. There was a tour company from Phi Phi Don doing a very early tour thus missing all the crowds and you could have stayed in tented accommodation overnight but they have all stopped now.
    Don't miss out Railay and the islands off Ao Nang they are very special too.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Hayden you have had a lot of good advise on what to do and where to go. As far as Bangkok is concerned i will say this, don't think you can do all you want to do in one day.
    Getting around Bangkok can be terrible, it can be very slow regardless of what transport you use. If you are there say 4 days, pick the 4 things you want to do and do them on separate days and another 1 or two not so important each day. If its a bad traffic day it could take 2 hours to do a kilometre by car. If its a good traffic day it could take 1.5 hours lol.

Well said Barnet

I wouldn't set foot in a Thai Animal park.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg / Pairin View Post
    The market with the ferris wheel is Asiatique, I have never been as my inlaws class it as a tourist trap and your likely to pay more.
    I've been 3/4 times and I wouldn't argue too much with that, but Thais do visit in numbers and it's quite nice at night. Lots of food places and bars and whilst there is also the usual tourist tat, there are some gems to be found. I have bought table lamps from Chiang Mai there and also some bronze figurines, again from the north. Haggling is vital though and my other half was there to deal with that.

We've eaten there three times - an Indian curry that was okay, a perfectly adequate Thai, but the funniest was a steak dish advertised as being served with a red wine and soy sauce, which I thought sounded interesting. What we got was an okay steak, with a typical Thai dipping sauce bowl on the side, with just a dash of poured cold red wine and soy sauce looking forlorn, sharing a bowl together and they didn't mix. I was expecting a cooked sauce poured over the steak.

Edit - I have just been told it was red wine vinegar and I found a pic - that's the sauce, in the little bowl by the plate. My other half won't thank me for this photo - lol!

IMG_0009-015.jpg
    Last edited by caller; 14th Nov 2018 at 17:00.
    'Tis me

"A few of the people were going with want to do the river cruise in bkk & those food markets look great especially the one with the Ferris wheel".

That is Asiatique @ Riverfront, they have their own free Ferry Shuttles from Sathorn Pier at Saphan Taksin BTS, the stop before the line runs over the river. Asiatique was an old riverfront warehouse district, now turned into a tourist attraction, using the ferry shuttle just before arriving at their pier on the left side you can see a large reclining Buddha, you can get to it by going out to the main road and walk back towards Sathorn (left) carry on until you see signs for the River Express Boats / Wat Worchanyawas, follow down to the river and it's on the right.
    There is another Rod Fai Night Market called Srinakarin and it's behind Seacon Square Mall in Prawet but possibly too far out the way for you.
    Baiyoke Tower is now the 3rd tallest building in BKK, two recent additions to the skyline are taller, I have never eaten up there, but people I know have and enjoyed the experience you can buy tickets online. I get Emails from this company : https://www.hotels2thailand.com/bang...restaurant.asp
    They often send out promotions. Check the links at the bottom for other destinations IE Pattaya etc.
    bangkok mags

You appear to be going with a group of people. If that is a group of couples, I would give Pattaya a miss. I know of more than one pair that entered Pattaya as a couple and left separately.

For me, Pattaya is great for a night out, in fact there are few places better - especially for blokes. Would I want to stay longer than one night? Not these days, the traffic there is often worse than Bangkok and even away from the popular areas, it doesn't reflect the real Thailand. Last time I went to the beach there it was filthy. If its partying you're after then yes, you can have a good time in Pattaya but it has little more to offer than 'gentlemens entertainment' - I guess it depends on what you're going for. These days I love a night out in Pattaya but I'm glad to see it in my car's mirrors as I leave.

When I travel abroad, I do so to see the sights, enjoy the weather and see a different way of life - spending more than a day in Pattaya is to me, much like going to Benidorm - it does not give a true indication of any of the things I'm looking for.

When you've had your first trip you will no doubt want to go back for more. If you continue, you will most likley, in time, develop an interest in seeing 'the real Thailand'. After 16 years I'm still discovering and learn more each trip. I have a home, far away from the normal westerner tourist areas and intend moving there permanently soon. I thought the nearby town/city of Pak Chong had little to offer in terms of nightlife - which was the only thing that was missing for me. I have since discovered 3 nightclubs, several bars and some great restaurants.

Then again, some of the entertainment the Thai's have is a little weird - well to us anyway. One of the bars I go to in Pak Chong - a place called Blacklist is quite a big place with lots of tables, a pool table and live music. Last time I was there, a Thai friend I was drinking with told me another Thai friend was there fishing. Fishing? I was taken through the bar to the back where there were dozens of people, all sat around a pond fishing. Apparently you pay 100 baht for a set amount of time and what you catch (mainly Shrimps), you keep. Not the sort of activity one would find in a UK bar I'd suggest .

Outside the main tourist areas and away from tourist travel routes, many of the local attractions can be hard to spot - much of the signage is in Thai only and that's when it exists at all. I've been there for nearly 5 years now and I find something new on every trip - more by accident than plan.

Very hard to make suggestions as to where to go in Thailand, its all very subjective but I note you've chosen all the most expensive but usual destinations. Next time, go East from Bangkok - past Pattaya and down to the Eastern Islands - Koh Samet, Koh Chang, Koh Mak, Ko Kuud and the towns along the way. Go North to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and go North East to the national Parks around Petchabun and Nakhon Ratchasima.

Premium Member

Hilton Sukhumvit is a good base. (Its near the Trendy building which you will have to visit for a Visa once you've married the girl you meet )
    Its a lovely hotel. Near to the BTS so its easy to get around Bangkok.
    The Hilton Millennium is better in my opinion but we travel as a family so you're probably in the right place. Try and get Exec Lounge access if you can but i doubt 6 guys will get it.
    My advice is to be respectful, have fun and don't be stupid.
    In Phuket i like to watch the sunset from the bars above Kata but you will be in Patong no doubt. That can be fun but be streetwise as everyone will advise.
    Maya Beach is closed until further notice. Last time we went it was over run by the Chinese and wasn't a pleasant experience.
    I recommend pre booking your transfer which you can do at both Bangkok airports and they will meet you in Phuket.
    Also search for Jamie monks blog on Phuket as its a really good read.
    Kingy

Quote Originally Posted by Kingy View Post
    (Its near the Trendy building which you will have to visit for a Visa once you've married the girl you meet )
    Yes, and along that subject, please also collect your brains when you collect your luggage from the carousel at Bangkok. Any girl you meet in the bars is not 'different', her buffalo is not sick and all 18 of her grandma's are fine and still alive. Don't fall in love in the first bar, take a trip up to Nong Khai to meet her parents and don't return home, sell up and head back to Thailand.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by Kingy View Post
    Hilton Sukhumvit is a good base. (Its near the Trendy building which you will have to visit for a Visa once you've married the girl you meet )
    Its a lovely hotel. Near to the BTS so its easy to get around Bangkok.
    The Hilton Millennium is better in my opinion but we travel as a family so you're probably in the right place. Try and get Exec Lounge access if you can but i doubt 6 guys will get it.
    My advice is to be respectful, have fun and don't be stupid.
    In Phuket i like to watch the sunset from the bars above Kata but you will be in Patong no doubt. That can be fun but be streetwise as everyone will advise.
    Maya Beach is closed until further notice. Last time we went it was over run by the Chinese and wasn't a pleasant experience.
    I recommend pre booking your transfer which you can do at both Bangkok airports and they will meet you in Phuket.
    Also search for Jamie monks blog on Phuket as its a really good read.
    Kingy
    Kingy:- listen to what Flip said or just written. Some of these ladies think they are clever to lure you in to their lively hood. Once your in, then your life could be hell.
    Not all thai ladies are bad, but you need to be very careful and don't leave your brain at the airport.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Or in your trousers
    Melnathan

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    Kingy:- listen to what Flip said or just written. Some of these ladies think they are clever to lure you in to their lively hood. Once your in, then your life could be hell.
    Not all thai ladies are bad, but you need to be very careful and don't leave your brain at the airport.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    Guys i always listen to advice but i was offering advice albeit tongue in cheek...I am happily married to a Thai and we live in the UK with our son. The thread was offering the OP some first time visitor tips.
    I totally agree with you and Flip

Old Hand มือเก่า

had a great night at the market with the wheel by time i had gone round and eaten at mk the night was over very busy when i went could not get in any other food outlet