Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will the Airlines Ever Act Fairly and Truthfully?

I'm pretty sure you've all seen disappearing flight prices, huge fluctuations in prices overnight, booked then found the flight available cheaper later etc. etc.

I know the airlines have to do their best to fill planes but hey, anyone in business has to do their best to make a profit. The thing is, few other businesses operate a pricing policy that changes by the hour. Most things you buy in life have a fixed price - why should airlines be different? I'm sick of continuosly trawling the net night after night trying to find the best priced flight. I've also found that prices sometimes vary depending on the day of the week you book on. An example of that is Thai Lion Air (I think its them) - their cheapest seats are never available if you book on a weekend. If they haven't sold them over the weekend they magically appear again on Monday morning.

My next trip to Thailand was supposed to be at the end of January for a month but the person who looks after my dogs has advised me they will be away part of February. I am now considering bringing my dates forward to the end of December for a month.

I often go at that time to be honest and I find I can avoid the bulk of the Christmas price hike by arriving on New Year's Eve as most people don't want to arrive on that night.

Last night I went online to check out the prices - leaving Manchester on 30/12 and leaving Bangkok on 30/01. Emirates came out best at £475 but Etihad came in at £530 and I'm trying to keep my Etihad Gold status. To be fair, both those prices are pretty good for the holiday period but I couldn't understand why Etihad were pitching themselves so much higher than Emirates - probably their main competitor.

I'm pretty sure that whoever sets their prices keeps an eye on what the competion are doing so I decided to wait and see what happens. I've seen Etihad's own website state '3 seats left' before and when I actually flew, the flight was half empty so I place little trust in those statements. Likewise, I am aware that '3 seats left' refers to 3 seats at that price - that is not to say there are only 3 economy seats left. I am also aware that from time to time they transfer seats from one price group to another so although the website states 'Economy Deal' is sold out, seats may magically appear in that price group closer to the departure date.

So, I've just checked out the same flights again tonight and Emirates are up to £504 whilst Etihad are up to £630....... a hundred quid overnight!!! Frankly I don't believe it and as I am not absolutely sure about flying on those dates, I ain't booking yet. If Etihad's price had dropped to somewhere closer to Emirates original £475 I might have booked.

I just wish they'd quit this and operate a fixed price at all times or at the very least simply operate high and low season prices. If I sold TV's and Etihad's CEO came in to look at one, then came back the next day to actually buy it and I'd put the price up by £100, I'm pretty sure he'd have something to say.

(prices obtained on Travel Supermarket/Etihad direct.)

Old Hand มือเก่า

supply and demand is what they use ,But if you had 200 tvs and you hadnt shifted one you would accept your money back .maybe a loss,Them dates are peak as well maybe try changing them many times ive flown xmas day cheap as chips arabs are good for something

I 100% agree with you Flip.

Double or more for school holidays. It doesn’t affect me but it's outrageous when they are allowed to just up the prices when they know there will be most demand. Same as the trains. Same as restaurants on Valentines Day.

It should be illegal imho.

It's lucky for most people that they only pay their insurance premium "drops" or should that be increases once a year, otherwise you'd say the same about that too. I also feel sad to mention that the same goes for house rental prices, where you might have shown yourself a good tenant and some landlords might try to increase rents by a massive percentage, knowing that if you want to then move the rental agents will then charge fees on top of any removal/disruption. The Airlines are a business and there are some flights that run at a loss and are made up for by others that they can profit from. After all it is still really a "luxury" service, that in the past was only open to the VERY rich. Same as Train prices seem to have crazily gone now

The bosses of these companies want to be competing against their fellow millionaire/billionaires and not earning a nice steady 100K a year. Shareholders will also be expecting a nice return so that they continue with their investments and improve on their lifestyle. They know people will pay the inflated prices or if they don't then a.n.other will so that's the way it goes :-( Unless you're a boss or shareholder, then :-)

Old Hand มือเก่า

go emirates flip i know you want get your miles i tried this many years ago and opted for the cheaper flights instead .
    I know the catalogue is great to redeem your points , but £500 is not bad in fact its a steal .It cost me on average £600 to travel 6000 miles by car and i have to drive the bloody thing and then repair it .

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Skyscanner are showing £409 Emirates BHX to BKK on those dates
    Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Skyscanner are showing £409 Emirates BHX to BKK on those dates
    I had actually been considering trying other airports like Birmingham. Its just travelling there - everywhere you go in the UK takes ages these days.

60 quid difference buys a couple of takeaways why worry its still cheap.

I always book direct flights as I spend the difference at the stopover but as non smoker I get why the shorter flights have an attraction
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Not being from Yorkshire I have a different approach to buying flights.

See a flight that suits for times etc, am I happy with the price, if so go ahead and make a purchase. Never go back to check if I could have had a better deal. That way I'm never disappointed.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Not being from Yorkshire I have a different approach to buying flights
    I am from Yorkshire and guess what as long as I don't have to sit with Bigoted idiots from the rest of the UK I will happily pay double

and by being thrifty I can afford to
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Regarding the price difference between weekdays and weekends that is a common fare pricing structure you may notice in the fare basis an X for weekday and a W will be weekend the weekend may include a Friday or even a Monday.

Fares are getting more complex with Dynamic pricing and NDC.
    As you know airline revenue management will move availability depending on how well or badly the seats are selling and previous data and trends, its a black art. not a lot you can do its only going to get worse from a customer point of view.

Cant be any worse than trying find the best value insurance every dam year.

Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    Not being from Yorkshire I have a different approach to buying flights.

See a flight that suits for times etc, am I happy with the price, if so go ahead and make a purchase. Never go back to check if I could have had a better deal. That way I'm never disappointed.
    Yeah well Keith, trying to make sure I get the best price has nothing to do with coming from Yorkshire and everything to do with trying to afford 6 to 8 trips per year.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Yeah well Keith, trying to make sure I get the best price has nothing to do with coming from Yorkshire and everything to do with trying to afford 6 to 8 trips per year.
    With the greatest of Respect, your truly a mystery to me

You have health problems right, and you put yourself through the stress of flying to a stressful place 8 times year !?

Gawd I'm already dreading flying there in April, and I've kicked the can down the road for 3 yrs to a point I can no longer get out of it

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

6 to 8 trips a year You could supplement the cost by taking out some of the c**p I listed in the other thread for me, mates rates of course

Blog Entries

... Most things you buy in life have a fixed price - why should airlines be different? ...
    If airlines priced their fares like this then the day of the £450 flight to BKK would be well and truly over. Tourist fares would be very much higher than now and 'bargains' would be a thing of the past.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    With the greatest of Respect, your truly a mystery to me

You have health problems right, and you put yourself through the stress of flying to a stressful place 8 times year !?

Gawd I'm already dreading flying there in April, and I've kicked the can down the road for 3 yrs to a point I can no longer get out of it
    Well, I'm happy to be a mystery to you Prikphet. Happily, we are not all the same - I actually enjoy my flights, I don't find it stressful at all. Much as you don't understand me, I don't understand why anyone finds flying stressful.

Thailand stressful? I guess some of the things we foreigners have to do out there can seem stressful if you let it get to you. When I go to Thailand, I have a life, I have more friends there (both western and Thai) than I've ever had in the UK. I go out most nights. I can ride my motorbike everyday without being frozen. I can eat at a restaurant every evening for just a few quid and there's eye candy everywhere.

On the subject of 'the things we foriegners have to do out there' - I unfortunately lost my wallet in Thailand a couple of weeks back. My bank cards and both Thai driving licences were in it. A replacement bank card took all of 10 minutes to obtain at my local bank branch but I'd been told replacing my licences would be a different matter. Apparently I'd need a police report, another confirmation of address from Immigration and god knows what else. However, the old saying 'its not what you know, its who you know' applies in Thailand far more than it does here. I happen to know some of the staff at the local Land Transport Office - I got both licences replaced for 210 baht in just 15 minutes - no paperwork required at all. I'm slowly learning that the Thai way of doing things (networks) can provide a 'smoother' way of life..... sabai, sabai

Stressful? Stressful is looking out of my window and seeing fog, ice on my car, having to walk my dogs in foul weather. A night out costing a fortune. £1700 council tax. Stressful is the traffic and roadworks on the way to the airport, not the flight. Naaa, if anywhere is stressful its England.

Yes, I have health problems, I have cancer but as yet I have never had a day's illness because of it - that will come though. I may have a reduced sell by date but I intend enjoying as much of that time as I can and I enjoy very little of my life in England. I can't see any reason why flying should have any bearing on my current health situation. In fact, being happy and having a positive attitude has actually been shown to help patients fight the disease.

I've lost count now but I'm well over 100 flights in and I look forward to each one just as much as the first ever.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Natty View Post
    6 to 8 trips a year You could supplement the cost by taking out some of the c**p I listed in the other thread for me, mates rates of course
    Ha Ha, sorry, I think I'll be taking my own c**p out there for some time yet. One of the things I find in Thailand is that when buying household goods in particular, much of what is on offer is just cheap c**p. Decent quality stuff is available but a). It can take some finding depending on where you are and b). When you do find it, the price can be astronomical.
    Last edited by Flip; 22nd Nov 2018 at 15:48.

Blog Entries

... I actually enjoy my flights, I don't find it stressful at all. Much as you don't understand me, I don't understand why anyone finds flying stressful ...
    I'm with you Flip, I typically do 200+ flights a year (although this year I've 'only' done 132 because of commitments at home) and I must say that despite living in airports and my backside being on an aircraft seat sometimes more often than my own sofa, I still don't find air travel stressful.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I still don't find air travel stressful.
    That's because you travel Alan Bennett Class

Member สมาชิก

Flight comparison sight log your ispn and when you go back within a certain time frame alot will still have the dates you last entered and guess what .... the price will have gone up because theyre pretty sure your back to book.
    Myself and the ex would set aside an evening and see would look package deals and whe she was reading the small print Id check reviews. If it all looked good we would book it there and then. Once she want to print the brpucher and when back on to find the price had increased by £400 in 5 minutes.