Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Member สมาชิก Allyouneedislove's Avatar
    Join Date
    9 Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37

    Default Visit Visa for wife, questions & concerns...

    I have some questions and concerns about the current visit visa application procedure.

    (I have been married to my wife since April this year. Basically, we want her to come and meet family members and spend some time together, before looking into a settlement visa in 2020)

    Firstly, is it a problem if I complete the online part here in the UK on her behalf?

    Secondly, she went to visit a friend in Korea a few months ago but was refused entry at the border, will this be much of an issue? (The girl she was with fluffed her lines that didn't match my wife's)

    (She has previously had a successful VV with an Ex partner by the way)

    Also, she is unemployed, I of course support her and her family, and her reason to return is basically her family and families farm. She will need to go back and help her Mum take care of her baby niece's once her Sister leaves the house for work in a matter of months, whilst also contributing to the mushroom farm and pizza selling

    It appears the "Visa4UK" website now directs you straight to the .Gov website to apply too.

    Thanks for all your advice!

    Ps, how do you add a picture / avatar onto your profile??
    Last edited by Allyouneedislove; 8th Dec 2018 at 20:20.

  2. #2
    Guest Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,995

    Default

    Its been a while since I did a visa application but I'm pretty sure you can still complete the online application - another member will no doubt confirm that.

    As for the visit to Korea - I'm pretty sure that on the application there is a question asking if the applicant has ever been refused a visa to another country. I can't remember if it also asks about refused entries but it probably does. There will no doubt be a refusal stamp in her passport - you need to know what that says.

    When completing such questions you should be completely honest - you never know what information is shared. The most common reason that Thai's are refused entry into Korea is because they suspect they are there to work (without a permit). If that's the case, I don't see why that should be a problem if you are up front about it. If that was the reason for refusal and I was answering that question I would simply say that the Korean authorities suspected the visit was for work - it wasn't but they refused entry. But beware, she might well get a phone call asking about this when the application is up for consideration - make her aware so she's expecting it. That's just an opinion though - what an ECO makes of it is up to them. I've always found that being honest and not trying to hoodwink them is the best policy. Besides, if she lies on the application and its discovered, she will be banned from making another application for either 5 or 10 years - can't remember which.

    As for the rest of the application, a foreign wife applying for a visa to visit her husband in the UK can throw up its own unique set of circumstances. There is currently another thread running on the same subject so rather than repeat everything - have a read of this:

    https://thailand-uk.com/forums/showt...sa-application

    For a normal visit visa where you are sponsoring the applicant the main things you need to show are:

    That you have sufficient funds to cover all expenses.

    That your relationship is genuine.

    Evidence of regular contact.

    The applicant needs to demonstrate that they will return to Thailand at the end of their visit.

    Showing reasons to return can difficult with a normal visit visa application - when its a spouse visiting it can be that much harder. Have a read of that thread.

  3. #3
    Member สมาชิก Allyouneedislove's Avatar
    Join Date
    9 Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    For a normal visit visa where you are sponsoring the applicant the main things you need to show are:

    That you have sufficient funds to cover all expenses.

    That your relationship is genuine.

    Evidence of regular contact.

    Thanks for your reply Flip. Do you think some recent payslips will be sufficient evidence to show I can cover all expenses or will they want bank statements as well? I read on the other thread that bank statements aren’t really necessary for a VV?

    Thanks again

  4. #4
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ PlymouthNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Sep 2011
    Location
    Plymouth/Udon Thani
    Posts
    320

    Default

    My wife is on her 3rd visit visa now and never had a problem. I always do the online application for her. She just prints it all off in Thaiuland.
    Be honest about the Korean visa, why she was denied. You'll have to say that she has had a VV before so that will help.
    I always show my pay slips, and bank statements to show I am supporting her too. They can cross refer this to her bank book.
    I can't see there being a problem seeing as you are married. You wouldn't want to jeopardise her coming again.

  5. #5
    Guest Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,995

    Default

    I missed the bit about having a VV previously - agree, that will be helpful but Nick, whereas you have not had a problem, others have. Your circumstances may be completely different. A V V for a foreign wife needs to be as watertight as possible.

    Payslips are not evidence of sufficient fund but could be useful. A couple of bank statements showing an amount at least equal to the total cost of the visit is what you really need.

    What you read on the other thread was that you don't have to send reams of bank statements. You still have to show you can fund the visit.

  6. #6
    Premium Member sisaket's Avatar
    Join Date
    7 Jan 2007
    Location
    UK / Bangkok
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    Just for information , Thai passport holders can stay up to 3 months Visa free in South Korea.
    You will need to address this issue of a refusal of entry.
    bangkok mags

  7. #7
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    20 Jul 2015
    Posts
    217

    Default

    they require evidence of your financial ability to support her so Bank Statements are not a requirement but almost certainly necessary.

  8. #8
    Guest Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    Just for information , Thai passport holders can stay up to 3 months Visa free in South Korea.
    You will need to address this issue of a refusal of entry.
    I believe though, that the Koreans have been questioning the majority of Thais on arrival as it appears they have only 'just' realised how many Thai's are working illegally.

  9. #9
    Premium Member sisaket's Avatar
    Join Date
    7 Jan 2007
    Location
    UK / Bangkok
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    I believe though, that the Koreans have been questioning the majority of Thais on arrival as it appears they have only 'just' realised how many Thai's are working illegally.
    It's been an issue for a few years in South Korea, none of the In-Laws have been questioned, but a lady we know went with her Son and Daughter, she got in but Son and Daughter were sent back, my advise was for the Daughter not even try as she has had problems in other countries IE Singapore, but some people like to learn the hard way and very expensive way.
    bangkok mags

  10. #10
    Member สมาชิก Allyouneedislove's Avatar
    Join Date
    9 Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Thanks all!
    I’m assuming when submitting the application, all documents need to be original (ie. Marriage certificate) or would a scanned photo copy be sufficient do you think?

    thanks again

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allyouneedislove View Post
    Thanks all!
    I’m assuming when submitting the application, all documents need to be original (ie. Marriage certificate) or would a scanned photo copy be sufficient do you think?

    thanks again
    I would send both. UKVI will probably keep the copies and send the originals back. That's what I did for my wife's VV.

  12. #12
    Member สมาชิก Allyouneedislove's Avatar
    Join Date
    9 Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    they require evidence of your financial ability to support her so Bank Statements are not a requirement but almost certainly necessary.
    After reading another recent thread about a VV for their wife, I'm understanding only showing affordability is sufficient, as you only have to show you have enough to fund the trip. So just showing what funds and savings you have is enough. Like someone said has happened before, the ECO could just start picking apart a bank statement and make it more awkward.

    - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    Just for information , Thai passport holders can stay up to 3 months Visa free in South Korea.
    You will need to address this issue of a refusal of entry.
    This is why she went, because a lot of thai's can enter no problem and like you say don't need a visa for a short stay / holiday. The only way we will address it is by saying exactly what happened. "Refused entry at the border, was told that the answers her and her friend gave after some questioning didn't match, so they had to go back to Thailand". The only stamp she got in her passport was when she arrived back into Bangkok, nothing was stamped in Korea. There's not a lot more that can be addressed.

    - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Payslips are not evidence of sufficient fund but could be useful. A couple of bank statements showing an amount at least equal to the total cost of the visit is what you really need.

    What you read on the other thread was that you don't have to send reams of bank statements. You still have to show you can fund the visit.

    So I am guessing "funding the visit" is flight costs and something for living expenses during the stay?

    I will not submit multiple bank statements, just something recent displaying current funds and maybe a payslip or two our reason for return will be on the basis of our plans for settlement in the future and she still has to help out on the family farm whilst also helping to take care of her baby niece's. Whilst she will be away, her sister will be able to 'fill this position'

  13. #13
    Guest Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allyouneedislove View Post

    So I am guessing "funding the visit" is flight costs and something for living expenses during the stay?
    More or less yes. Tot up what its going to cost you and show funds equal to at least that. But, if for example in your supporting letter you say that she will be visiting France with you - make sure your funds cover that. If its a savings account then a sum equal to the costs will be enough but if you are showing a current account - what about your own living expenses during that time?

    They don't usually give you a lot of hassle over funds for a VV - they are more interested in the reasons to return. The previous VV will help with that as it should establish that she's abided by the visa conditions but her circumstances have changed - she's married now. You need to convince the ECO that she is not simply trying to get around the high cost of a settlement visa. So....... make sure your 'financials' and other evidence is spot on. If the visit is going to cost £1500 including flights, don't submit bank statements from a current account showing an average balance of £1501 - how are you going to live? I think you should be getting my drift - other than a statement to the contrary, there's not much you can do to show 'reasons to return' so make sure the rest is watertight.

    One thing that does help with 'reasons to return' is showing close family ties. The Thai calendar is crammed full of festivals, buddha days and other customs and celebrations. It is very likely that your Mrs will have photos of herself and other family members at such family gatherings. If she has, send a few of those and state that she has close family ties as evidenced by a visit to......bla bla on such and such a date. By the way, don't use the phrase 'close family ties' - its in the ECO's guidance notes - you don't want to be accused of a 'contrived' application.

    All this may seem a bit over the top but believe me, its worth it.

  14. #14
    Member สมาชิก Allyouneedislove's Avatar
    Join Date
    9 Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Approximately, how many documents in Thailand would you all say need translating for a VV? Eg. The marriage certificate, proof of residency of each Thai family member, all their ID cards, each supporting letter etc...? There seems to be nearly 13 we are counting. Which at 300 baht and more for the marriage certificate is getting pricey.

    Also, we married in April last year, but I’m yet to register it in the UK, is that a problem you think?

    thanks for your replies!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allyouneedislove View Post
    Approximately, how many documents in Thailand would you all say need translating for a VV? Eg. The marriage certificate, proof of residency of each Thai family member, all their ID cards, each supporting letter etc...? There seems to be nearly 13 we are counting. Which at 300 baht and more for the marriage certificate is getting pricey.

    Also, we married in April last year, but I’m yet to register it in the UK, is that a problem you think?

    thanks for your replies!
    ID cards not necessary to translate. Who are the supporting letters from? If, for example, they are from an employer submit them in Thai. If an ECO wants to clarify any points in an employment letter that is in Thai, they will call and speak Thai. If you provide a translation, they will speak in English.

    You don't need to register a Thai marriage in the UK but you will need a translation.

  16. #16
    Member สมาชิก
    Join Date
    1 Aug 2017
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allyouneedislove View Post
    Approximately, how many documents in Thailand would you all say need translating for a VV? Eg. The marriage certificate, proof of residency of each Thai family member, all their ID cards, each supporting letter etc...? There seems to be nearly 13 we are counting. Which at 300 baht and more for the marriage certificate is getting pricey.

    Also, we married in April last year, but I’m yet to register it in the UK, is that a problem you think?

    thanks for your replies!
    hey Lennon

    ive had to get tons of documents translated to try and demonstrate as many ties to Thailand as a reason to return. If you go back to my thread you will see I’ve posted a list of items that have to go with the application.

    ive spent around 5000-6000 baht on translations using an official service in Bangkok you may not have so many documents as my wife has house deeds, business documents all her name change documents , marriage register documents etc all have to be translated and stamped , just I’d card of wife at her residency is enough she doesn’t need all her parents documents... only things related to your wife or work .. birth certificates pass ports and ID cards

    yours should be hell of a lot cheaper than mine but as stated earlier on your thread we are trying to make her application as ship tight as possible

    good luck and don’t hesitate to ask questions and listen to the advice and you’ll get there mate

  17. #17
    Member สมาชิก Allyouneedislove's Avatar
    Join Date
    9 Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Rasg: thanks....
    I thought that because the ID cards have the address in Thai that they would need translating? We were going to show them copies of her parents ones and her actual card for her. The supporting letters are from her parents in support of her reason to return to look after her nieces and nephews after her sister leaves the house for work.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allyouneedislove View Post
    Rasg: thanks....
    I thought that because the ID cards have the address in Thai that they would need translating? We were going to show them copies of her parents ones and her actual card for her. The supporting letters are from her parents in support of her reason to return to look after her nieces and nephews after her sister leaves the house for work.
    No. Not needed. If I remember correctly, when your wife goes to VFS she will show her original ID card. I supplied a colour copy of my girlfriend and they asked her to sign the copy and they kept it.

    No need for mum and dad's IDs and I'm not sure that supporting letters from them contribute much. I certainly wouldn’t be having them translated.

    If an ECO calls they will typically call an employer or an applicant. I don't think I have ever heard of them calling a sponsor or anybody else. If you supply a letter from a Thai employer in Thai the ECO will expect to speak to them in Thai.

  19. #19
    Member สมาชิก Allyouneedislove's Avatar
    Join Date
    9 Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    No need for mum and dad's IDs and I'm not sure that supporting letters from them contribute much. I certainly wouldn’t be having them translated..
    Cheers rasg.
    She is officially unemployed and helps with a mushroom farm at home. So family ties / commitments are the only reason to return she has.

  20. #20
    Old Hand มือเก่า
    Join Date
    29 Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,427

    Default

    Thats under a tenner for each a bargain if you ask me my marriage certificate cost £100 in the UK .
    Hey wait till you go for settlement visa you will need more than allyouneedislove
    It be carnt buy you a diamond ring my friend.
    I dont care to much for money.
    Money carnt buy me love
    And you wont have much left after .

Similar Threads

  1. Visit Visa Questions
    By hornetsmad in forum UK Visas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th Feb 2018, 01:48
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th Jan 2016, 11:00
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10th Dec 2013, 16:02
  4. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 18th Jan 2012, 00:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •