Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Default Soffell Insect Repellent - Warning

There have been several discussions on the forum about mozzie sprays. A few years ago I recommended the local brand Soffell (No idea of the actual spelling as I've only ever seen it with a Thai language label. During that discussion several other members said they'd used it regularly - in general, I seem to remember it was agreed that it is one of the best mozzie repellents out there and costs very little.

Soffell is available as a spray and a cream. Sometime ago (I might have mentioned this in the other thread - don't know, can't find it) a bottle of the spray version leaked in my bag and melted a plastic biro!!

A friend of mine in Thailand recently told me that he had inadvertently used permanent marker on his white board and had tried everything to get it off without success - until that is, he used Soffell spray. He tells me his white board is like new now!!

I think it goes without saying that the spray version is dodgy. I won't spray it on my skin anymore - god knows what the long term effects may be. Stick to the cream guys and get into the habit, out of the shower on with the Soffell (cream).

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

DEET is the culprit here, it is a chemical which melts plastic.
    I believe soffell contains about 13% DEET
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

The fact that a chemical will do that does not actually make it dangerous, nail polish remover would do all of the above except repel mosquitos. 30+ years working with chemicals I would rather be covered in DEET than bitten to bu##ery.

Premium Member

One summer, some friends and I were touring the Highlands of Scotland in a hire car.

Having previously visited Skye, where we'd suffered a few midge bites, we learnt the value of bringing along insect repellent.

It was my turn driving and my front seat passenger accidentally 'maced' me right in my face while she was attempting to spray her wrists with a deet-heavy jungle formula. Fortunately, my sunglasses took the brunt of it and the only loss of control was my language. Hate to think what might've happened as we were tramping on a bit at the time (it's the only way to cover the distances.)

Later we noticed the car's plastic dashboard had melted where the repellent had been in contact.
    Mark L

I second the Nigels post Coca Cola can dissolve everything and allegedly harms no one Oops but it does
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Lucky it didn't melt the sunglasses.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    Lucky it didn't melt the sunglasses.
    Yes. I don't remember any harm coming to the sunglasses, which were cheap ones from Boots.

Memory can play tricks but I am pretty sure my anti-midge of choice at the time was Skin So Soft moisturiser. I've just Googled it - but can't find exactly the same stuff.
    As I recall it, the product came in a pink plastic bottle. I still got bitten but if I slavered enough on it did seem to work quite well. Definitely remember stepping out of the car in a layby to admire the view, and getting back in, found I had several dead midges stuck to me (they may have just drowned, sorry). This was before the 'macing' incident so cannot credit the effect to deet.
    Mark L

From Wikipedia:

DEET is an effective solvent, and may dissolve some watch crystals, plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, and painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish. It also may act as a plasticizer by remaining inside some formerly hard plastics, leaving them softened and more flexible.
    I'm afraid Flip's recommendation of the cream is misguided. It will have the exact same effect. Treat it as you would a container of nail polish remover. Wrap Soffell up in a strong, sealed plastic bag (test the bag isn't made of a plastic that it will melt first!!) if you're going to carry it in a suitcase.

I would offer a counter-warning to those using the cream: DEET is a poison. Never apply it to broken skin and ALWAYS wash your hands immediately after applying the cream. I much prefer to use the spray.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Old Hand มือเก่า

i stopped using the spray as it made me come out in a rash,All be it i didnt get bitten garlic capusals work and wash your feet at dusk cover up and dont sit at bars .Air con on full blast and go on a rampage in your room make sure maid sprays as well after making your room .

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Quote Originally Posted by maokaang View Post
    I'm afraid Flip's recommendation of the cream is misguided.
    Well there was no scientific basis for my comments Paul, just observations and what my mate told me happened with his white board. I've spilled the cream before and never seen any damage from it but then again, I've always wiped it up within a few seconds.

I continue to use the cream because its the only thing I've ever found to be effective - without it mozzies make my life hell with bites itching for several weeks. The thing is - getting in the habit of using it before you go out. The only time I get bitten now is if I forget.

What I'd like to know about the product - cream or spray, is - is it harmful to health if used normally and avoiding broken skin?

Dengue appears to be on the increase and of course there's Malaria to consider so using nothing would appear foolish - I guess its a case of which is the worst evil.

Old Hand มือเก่า

for the itch flip place your mug of coffee on the area heat works well .
    My nightmare these are.
    Go on a GTA rampage many times room looks like the SAS have just taken back the Libyan embassy .

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    many times room looks like the SAS have just taken back the Libyan embassy .
    Iranian embassy? What do you do? Chase mosquitos around the room? How do you kill them?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Dengue appears to be on the increase and of course there's Malaria to consider so using nothing would appear foolish - I guess its a case of which is the worst evil.
    Dengue and Malaria have always been two of my major concerns since I started visiting Thailand in 2008. Now, I would probably add Rabies to the list of things to worry about!

I always thought that the effectiveness of any mozzie / insect repellent depended on it's DEET content? The "best" being the higher DEET. I use "Xpel Tropical Formula" wipes but DEET doesn't appear to be mentioned in the list of contents. They seem to work, though.

Either way, I am far more concerned about contracting either Malaria or Dengue than any harm I might be doing with toxic chemicals onto / into my body so, in the absence of any effective means of prevention (inoculation) I too shall continue with the mozzie spray / wipe / cream.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by Big AL View Post
    Iranian embassy? What do you do? Chase mosquitos around the room? How do you kill them?
    I have a unique set of skills when it comes to these flying pest ,
    P S i have chased them around the room lol they usually hang out in the toilet/bathroom

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    A friend of mine in Thailand recently told me that he had inadvertently used permanent marker on his white board and had tried everything to get it off without success
    Tell your friend next time to trace over the permanent ink with a whiteboard marker pen and it should then wipe off as normal.