Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Wine price increase

Just been chatting with a friend about buying a 5 litre box of wine as I hadn't had one for a while. He told me good luck so I went to Makro to find that the 3 litre was all they were selling but it was the same price as the 5 litre used to be. Another massive price hike due to tax I guess, looks like they will be staying on the shelves forever as far as I am concerned. Back to the odd beer again.

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

In the current climate regarding Brexit and tariffs + the tariff 'war' going on between the US and China - perhaps someone should look at the fairness of Thailand's import tariff policy. I know not whether the tax rise you talk of DAS is due to Thailand's 'do gooder' brigade further clamping down on alcohol or if it is another import tax rise but it matters not - Thai import tariffs are very one sided. I don't know how they get away with it - try selling a European built car in Thailand for example. Thai built pick up trucks are sold in the UK so clearly the ridiculously high Thai import taxes are not reciprocated.

I have found it very hard to find decent wine in Thailand and never seen a popular European brand - I guess the high import duty makes it difficult to market them.

Totally agree Flip, taxation is very one sided and a level playing field is needed, Chang beer is not taxed out of the market in the UK. If it was down to do gooders trying to reduce alcohol surely they would tax the cheap flip top "whiskey" which is partly responsible for most alcohol related deaths in Essan. Somehow I don't see Thai people getting wrecked on 300 bht bottles of wine, when the alcohol from a little bottle of booze for 60 bht is just as effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    I have found it very hard to find decent wine in Thailand and never seen a popular European brand - I guess the high import duty makes it difficult to market them.
    Where do you shop? I have a lovely Marlborough NZ Sauvignon Blanc in the fridge, bought at VM for 399 baht. There are any number of well known brands here, albeit not so much from the EU, but sold in the UK, whether from Oz, NZ, South America and so on. Sure, it's worth looking out for special offers otherwise it's pricey and I drink little wine these days, but the range is pretty good.
    'Tis me

Wine tends to taste better where its produced although some wine travel well. An example is Retsina which is pretty okay on a hot day be the beach when eating Moussaka or Klefico but on cold November in the UK tastes like turps.

I have seen half decent wines in Thailand but Som Tam and Cabernet Sauvingon does not work and ruins both.

Similarly fine malt whisky is great but combined with Thai food better with Lao Kao
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    Where do you shop? I have a lovely Marlborough NZ Sauvignon Blanc in the fridge, bought at VM for 399 baht. There are any number of well known brands here, albeit not so much from the EU, but sold in the UK, whether from Oz, NZ, South America and so on. Sure, it's worth looking out for special offers otherwise it's pricey and I drink little wine these days, but the range is pretty good.
    Not being a wine 'buff' I tend to stick with brands that I'm familiar with of which I've seen none locally. Tesco and Makro are where I usually look - I was told that Makro often have good wines in but the better ones sell out quickly. Tesco are very unreliable - I did find a brand I liked there once but after 2 bottles they stopped stocking it.

As you know Caller, my nearest VM is in Korat - I'll have a look next time I'm up there. Thanks for the pointer.

Old Hand มือเก่า

wine is expensive in Thailand,i dont know why but it is .or where i have bought it .
    in the uk its cheaper than fish and chips .

As you know Caller, my nearest VM is in Korat - I'll have a look next time I'm up there. Thanks for the pointer.
    I didn't even know there was a VM in Korat! Try Gourmet Market at The Mall - the wine store used to be next to it, not in it - and TOPS at Central.

There's also foodland in Terminal 21, but that's quite small.
    'Tis me

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    I didn't even know there was a VM in Korat!
    Well, I can't be 100% sure but I thought I went to 'Villa Market' at The Mall a couple of months back. I ran out of cigarette papers and someone on another forum said they were available there- they were, in a wine department next door. All I remember is it was up on the 1st floor - could have been Gourmet Market I guess.

Well, I can't be 100% sure but I thought I went to 'Villa Market' at The Mall a couple of months back. I ran out of cigarette papers and someone on another forum said they were available there- they were, in a wine department next door. All I remember is it was up on the 1st floor - could have been Gourmet Market I guess.
    There is no Villa Market at The Mall and you have just perfectly described where Gourmet Markets wine Department is. Gourmet Market is The Mall groups supermarket chain, that has a wider range of stock than their other supermarket brand, known as Fresh Mart.
    'Tis me

There is a decent size wine cellar at, The Emquartier.

https://www.emquartier.co.th/wine-celler/