Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sofa Fabric

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

Default Sofa Fabric

At the risk of starting an row on here

Which kind of fabric would you recommend when buying a new sofa? Leather, Imitation leather, fabric..would you use a throw over on sofa so you can just bang it in the washing machine?
    I'm just thinking about the hot, sometimes sticky climate and the best one to keep clean over here

Cheers

Wayne

At our place in BKK we have a leather sofa in Black with black and white throw overs, never had any problems, Mrs place in Isaan she has black leather sofa but where you actually sit is a grey fabric with zips at the back where you can take off to wash again never had any problems.
    bangkok mags

If you buy leather - buy a dark colour. I bought 2 white leather sofas in the UK thinking they would simply 'wipe clean' - they are in fact very difficult to keep clean.

I think the biggest problem you'll have in Thailand is buying a quality sofa rather than the choice of fabric. As Sisaket has bought at least one, he may be able to recommend somewhere. You may find it difficult to buy a quality item out in the sticks - simply because they don't sell well there. Most times I want something decent I have to go to Bangkok. When I do find something decent locally the prices are extortionate.

I have no idea on quality but I note Ikea Bangkok sell sofas with removable covers in a variety of fabrics and also sell spare covers.

I bought my Sofa (BKK) at SB Design Square in Central Plaza Bang Na and they have a huge place further along Bang Na - Trat Road .
    Mrs bought the other one in Surin City, I have no idea how much she paid but she said that she got a good discount.
    bangkok mags

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

Thanks guys.
    I have been looking a SB Design Square on the net, they have some really nice stuff. I just dont know if they will deliver to Chum Phae though, I am going to try and pop in when i am home next

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    You may find it difficult to buy a quality item out in the sticks - simply because they don't sell well there.
    Indeed, we (or should I say the missus when she was in the village and I was in the UK) bought a "leather" 3 piece a couple of years back. It was cheap plastic crap that lasted 2 minutes and certainly wasn't built to hold a 16 stones farang !!
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow MAN UNITED !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    I just dont know if they will deliver to Chum Phae though
    Online purchases over 5,000 baht include free delivery nationwide, except for:
    Islands and the three southern border provinces (Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat) are excluded for delivery.
    https://www.sbdesignsquare.com/en/pa...hipping-policy
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

There's an SB furniture shop in Khon Kaen City, so they'll probably ship to Chum Phae from there.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

SD are part of the same group as Koncept, Habitat, Home Pro and God knows what else. In Hua Hin, you can order what you like and they deliver from Bkk - they only have a small, notional shop here and carry no stock, although there is a larger Koncept near the airport.

If you can, a trip to Bkk is worthwhile to actually see and feel what they have as not all is great. As said above, they have a big store near MegaBangNa and I would also recommend their place at the Crystal Design Centre off the Ramintra tollway between Ekkamai and Route 9. Most of the various buildings on that site host house design stores, furniture, kitchens, bathrooms, design, tiles, lighting and so on, in addition to SD. There's some very interesting stuff there.

Index and Boonthavorn are similar to SD and can be found in many locations. My kitchen and sofa came from Boonthavorn, a chair from IKEA, most kitchen utensil stuff from IKEA, a guest bedroom wholly furnished from Koncept and my dining table, chairs, main bed and bedside tables from Dan Singkhon market, at the border with Burma, near Prachuap Kiri Khan!

In my experience you can get everything delivered from anywhere at cost. I had a coffee table, 2x side tables and a display unit made to order by a place in Bkk and they charged me 1500 baht to deliver and 'fit' from Bkk. (Hulta Design, run by a German guy http://hultadesign.com/index.php/products/)
    'Tis me

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

One thing I have noticed about Thai sofas when ever I have sat on one in someone's house is that at 6'1" they are all way to low down for me. I assume they are made for the smaller Thai stature or have I just by random chance sat on a number of very low sofas.