Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Confirmation of New Rules on Income for Marriage & Retirement Extensions

People already living in Thailand on an O Visa extension based on either marriage or retirement will be aware that last year several Embassies including the British Embassy in Thailand stopped providing a letter certifying one of their citizen's income for extension or renewal purposes. This was because Thai Immigration asked them to verify the income - which they are not in a position to do.

This caused a lot of anxiety for people living in Thailand who had no idea how they were going to renew their yearly extension based on income.

After much speculation, Thai Immigration have now confirmed some new rules on what is needed and I thought it useful to provide a brief outline of those rules here.

This has been widely discussed on another forum with over 40 pages of argument and discussion. The matter has been clearly illustrated by those who obtained the information from Thai Immigration and I don't want to get into the same arguments here.

The document published on the other forum is a translation and as with so many translations from Thai, it contains some ambiguities. However, discounting the argument, mainly from those who don't have the required income, the new rules are very clear.

The rules for an extension of an O visa based on marriage or retirement have remained basically unchanged for quite some time - all that has changed is the method of evidencing the financial requirements.

There are basically 2 requirements:

1. If you have an O visa extension based on marriage or taking care of a Thai child - you need to have at least 400,000 baht in a Thai Bank Account (I think for 3 months prior to the application) or a monthly income of 40,000 baht. The method of proving the 400,000 in the bank has not changed - the new Police Order only covers those using income to support their application. In the case of a new application where clearly 12 months cannot be shown then the income must be from the month after you retired (read made the application) up until when it is granted with the full 12 months shown the next year.

If you are working in Thailand, the proof of income can be tax submissions and receipts. This is most likely to apply to those running their own business in Thailand as if you are working for a company and have a Non B Visa - the minimum income you can need for that visa is 50,000 baht per month. ( I believe special rules apply for teachers who are often paid less)

If you have other income, it must come from from abroad and you need to obtain evidence in the form of statements from your Thai bank showing international transfers and a letter confirming that the income comes from abroad.

Although the document mentions 'pension' several times, it also says that interest from savings and other income is allowable. There is much discussion on this but those who appear to be 'in the know' are confident that as long as the income comes from abroad, that will suffice.

You need to check with your Thai bank to make sure that international transfers are clearly shown and this may cause some problems for those who use Transferwise to move money from their home country to their Thai bank account. Apparently Transferwise use Bangkok Bank as the receiving bank and then move the money to your bank - which may be different. Currently, only those with a Bangkok Bank account will be able to show this as the transfer from Bangkok Bank to your bank (if different) will be shown as domestic. For the moment, I'd suggest opening a Bangkok Bank account if you haven't one already.

2. If you are retired and living in Thailand on an O visa extension based on that retirement, you need to show 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account (again I think for 3 months prior to the application) or a monthly income of 65,000 baht for the 12 months immediately prior to the application. In the case of a new application where clearly 12 months cannot be shown then the income must be from the month after you retired (read made the application) up until when it is granted with the full 12 months shown the next year.

Again, you need to check with your Thai bank to make sure that international transfers are clearly shown and this may cause some problems for those who use Transferwise to move money from their home country to their Thai bank account. Apparently Transferwise use Bangkok Bank as the receiving bank and then move the money to your bank - which may be different. Currently, only those with a Bangkok Bank account will be able to show this as the transfer from Bangkok Bank to your bank (if different) will be shown as domestic. For the moment, I'd suggest opening a Bangkok Bank account if you haven't one already.

In general, it is the word 'pension' in the document that worries some people. Some have income from say, property rental back home or may indeed be working in some other way - such as internet trading. I think the gist of it is that your bank must confirm that the income is from abroad. I don't see how the Thai bank could confirm that it is pension or otherwise. What they are wanting is to make sure that you have sufficient money to take care of yourself whilst in Thailand. You would be foolish however, to go screaching up to Thai Immigration stating that your income is not pension - its from property rental. They only ask the bank to confirm that the money transferred each month is from a foreign source.

As I said, I'm posting this to assist people - I'm far from an expert on the subject and I don't want to get into arguments as they have on the other forum. I think the new order will be on Thai Immigration's website so if you have any specific questions, I suggest you look there.
    Last edited by Flip; 8th Jan 2019 at 16:38.