Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

RSS Feed Who was the 'Thai bride' dumped in the hills?

Fourteen years after a woman's body was found in Yorkshire, will the mystery of death be solved?

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

Very sad story but I wish they wouldn't use the term 'Thai Bride'.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

Yes, someone, who knew that my wife is Thai, was speaking of Bruce Forsyth and said "he has an Asian bride" (meaning that he had something in common with me). Of course, his wife was not Asian at all. But why say "bride"? That term refers to someone only when she is getting married. It's the female equivalent of "groom". The term "Thai bride" suggests a "mail order bride".

In case the dead lady was married to a British man, the police could check Bangkok embassy records for a Yorkshireman who got the freedom to marry affirmation and a visa. (The items says police say that people who dump bodies don't generally drive far to do it.)

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

The phrase irritates the hell out of me too, you are only a bride on your wedding day. Also big Al according to the recent forensic examination the isotopes in her hair put her in Cumbria / Northern Lancashire area not Yorkshire where she was found, she could also have come in on a visit visa rather than a marriage visa and overstayed or held against her will. Talked to Panada about it this afternoon and she thinks from the sketch that she looks like she is from Isan from her facial features, but then that's a big area. I have seen this case in the news over a few years now I hope it gets solved and there is closure in the case.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

For a PC world that is offended by everything these days I find it disgusting they can actually use the word Thai bride.
    I don't even think Indian/ Asian arranged marriages even have that used in their articles.

Everyday we hear about people being offended by things and to name a few - blackface, culture appropriation because someone wore their cultures clothing and people wanting gender neutral job descriptions.

I always find that if a news story is about a Thai woman or Russian woman they always end up being referred to as Thai or Russian bride.
    I don't hear it with any other nationalities.

I find Thai bride is negative towards Thai women and to me it implies worthlessness. It devalues the fact of whether the relationship is genuine and makes it appear that it is instead of a marriage of convenience.

As stated in the news article:
    "The term Thai bride does not necessarily mean the woman comes from Thailand but that she is a lady who has taken up a relationship with a white gentleman and has come back to live in the UK in the late 1990s or early 2000s"

It automatically assumes that the partner is white. It also is used as a blanket term for any Asian woman which isn't right.

I try to get by in this PC world by ignoring and not being offended by pathetic things and I don't.
    If this was about any other race or nationality then people would be offended.

And lastly, I hope they solve this murder.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

Have just submitted a formal complaint to the BBC over the use of this racist and derogatory terminology to describe any Asian lady married to a white guy. It needs to go, my wife is 2 years older than me and has a masters degree but that term is designed to bring up images of a 90 year old looser married to an uneducated 20 year old. Also Dsw727 I agree that P.C is just bulls*+t in most cases but given that the BBC is the bastion of P.C B.S then this gives them something to chew on.

The term 'Thai bride' straight away detracts from the seriousness of the news story. It suggests a poor un-educated person being bought by a wealthy (white) Westerner.

Seriously wrong wording in 2018 as others have said, and further proof the media are having yet another pop at a certain group in society as p.c is mainly meant for others.

Could this lady have been brought here with the promise of a decent job and then realised it wasn't decent at all, and wanted to escape?
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Old Hand มือเก่า

It slips off the tongue as it rhymes. Add to that the whole internet buy a bride thing. Corrie story years back, Little Britain....
    I found that the majority of people using the term in the UK were women. It's the same as massage v's Thai massage. The latter carries certain connotations and always will.
    It's not a nice feeling in the stomach when anybody describes my wife as this.

However, the fact remains both stereotypical, ignorant views are born from someone's experience somewhere. Social conditioning has done the rest.

This attitude by the media had a massive effect on my family. My mother and stepfather apparently watched TV programs on UK TV where Thai women were portrayed as either scheming women trying to get British passports and ripping off stupid British men or whores in the bars where sad old men travel to from around the world. Anyway to cut a long story short, she was so unhappy about me seeing a Thai she told me it was either the girlfriend or her. She never took time to see my girlfriend or talk to her, she never came to the wedding and when we had our lovely daughter she refused point blank to see her. So now 13 years on from the wedding she has passed on never meeting my lovely wife or seeing our wonderful daughter her only grand daughter. A loss for her. I know she was trying to make me see sense, but I think in my late forties I could make up my own mind and didn't need her biased opinion from poor quality TV programs. And yes she cut me out of her will leaving her house to her stepdaughter.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ PlymouthNick's Avatar

A few years ago I was out to Christmas lunch with my new team I managed and we were talking about ourselves. Told them my wife was Thai and one lady chirped up 'oh a Thai bride' Oh how she felt embarrassed and has whenever I see here. It didn't offend me, just showed how ignorant she was. It takes a lot to get my back up.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by Big AL View Post
    Yes, someone, who knew that my wife is Thai, was speaking of Bruce Forsyth and said "he has an Asian bride" (meaning that he had something in common with me). Of course, his wife was not Asian at all. But why say "bride"? That term refers to someone only when she is getting married. It's the female equivalent of "groom". The term "Thai bride" suggests a "mail order bride".

In case the dead lady was married to a British man, the police could check Bangkok embassy records for a Yorkshireman who got the freedom to marry affirmation and a visa. (The items says police say that people who dump bodies don't generally drive far to do it.)
    I think the police knows who dumped the body. It's just a bloody cover up.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    Why do you think the police know? Who is covering up for whom?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ PlymouthNick's Avatar

te 2008 ...........was it you!!!!

Walking on the Moon ???.... In that case that's the last time I go to watch Sting.
    bangkok mags

I don't see how they would cover it up when it would create more work for them.

Until she has been identified the report into her death will remain open and has been.
    Also, if they treat it as murder it will be another investigation until the suspect is identified and charged.

I must have missed it reading it the first time (or perhaps story was updated) but it says she was wearing a gold ring on her wedding finger and due to the high % of gold it was traced back to Bangkok so it appears she was Thai.
    The lack of insect infestation on a body deceased for 1-3 weeks would suggest she would have been killed elsewhere and then dumped.
    Nature would have sped up decomposition and she would have been infested. Cold weather can slow the process but since it was September 2004 I don't think it would have been that cold.

It think it will be a tough one to solve as she had been found some time after dying. Tattoos or piercings can be helpful but it doesn't say whether she had any.
    She was presumable to be around 25-35 so could have been over here for years or a short period of time.
    Any relatives she had in her home country (likely Thailand) could have passed on by now.

Disgusting anyway how people can do this to their loved ones. I watched a TV show the other day about the German guy Horst Koenig who murdered his Filipino wife to go to Thailand for a sex holiday.
    The show liked to emphasise that many times (as in being negative about Thailand).

Thee BBC article and even the Telegraph and wherever else could have used the word 'Thai wife' instead of bride.
    Bride is someone who is about to get married or just has.

It seems like south East Asians can be targeted and stereotyped but not other races/ nationality.
    Thai bride is a negative stereotype suggesting a Thai woman with no ambition other than to marry a foreigner to better herself.

The only other sort of country and stereotype I can think of right now that the media like to use "Nigerian Scammer'.

They shouldn't be using Thai bride and especially in a world where people are offended by a white guy wearing dreads, a female wearing a sari and don't forget Digital black face where it suggests people using reactionary shots of black people in memes are racist.

Sorry I went a bit on

Old Hand มือเก่า

So who was the guy who killed someone in South East London, I think the place is called Eltham. The press knows that one of the person is well known to the police,

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthNick View Post
    te 2008 ...........was it you!!!!
    I thought it was you.!!!

So who was the guy who killed someone in South East London, I think the place is called Eltham. The press knows that one of the person is well known to the police.
    I presume that you mean Stephen Lawrence. Stephen Lawrence was murdered by a group of criminals. The police knew who he was and exactly where, when and how he was murdered. In the case of this Thai lady, the police don't appear to know any of these things. So why do you say that the police know who did it? Who do you think is covering up and why?

Old Hand มือเก่า

They could track down alot .
    But with the thail or other south Asian systems at the time corrupt and everything bought and done underhand maybe that is why they are struggling to solve the case .
    Now today with fingerprints and BRP cards and so so the uk/thail governments know who is moving about ,Not as such as our European friends that is why the question on a visit visa REASON TO RETURN .could you address this as reason not to return ,
    I:E
    no doctors
    no dentist
    no health care
    no pension
    no bank account
    no driving license
    no library card
    no mortgage
    no own home
    no job
    no benefits

all these could be used as a reason to return to Thailand on a visit visa .
    BUT rolled into one would come under i know the law ,
    Any way back to the story people vanish all the time we are still looking for a 5 year old that vanished in portugal .

Old Hand มือเก่า

And someone that vanished on one of the Greek Islands