Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Greg / Pairin View Post
    Since my daughter started the school academy most of her homework is done by the use of a tablet. Quite a lot of the school work is done this way now, teachers can monitor the kids without the need to leave their desk.

At least I can monitor and restrict my daughter, its the adults who I have little to no control over.
    Is that WL Academy ? Ex my old school Wyndham (before it was flattened) I saw an old photo of the Science Block on FB the other day.
    Thats an excellent use of Tablets, does WLA provide them or is it a joint effort , or sponsored by a certain Industrial Complex a few miles down the road ?
    bangkok mags

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    Most of the EU celebrate Easter and most other christian festivals why do you blame the EU for everything when the main problem are the snowflake generation who pander to the ethnic minorities and the various other groups who seem to rightly have right and wrongly more rights than people who used to be regarded as normal.

Amazon fire tablets for kids have good parental controls and can be time limited but obviously require good responsible parents to use these. They also have a screen mode that relieves eye strain.

I use computers all the time and I do not get headaches or particularly eye strain other than age related issues, good employers offer annual checkups free which I believe is a legal requirement in the EU?UK.

Anyone dumb enough to check emails in a dim light on a phone deserves a headache

ingAs to noone caring check the employment regulations before posting such twaddle
    Maybe i do need a eye check ,Not had one for a few years and you are right companies do supply and survey every 12 months ie compter screens ,your chair and you can request new items to suit you which where i work they do .
    All i am saying is they know there is a problem with said computers tablets and such otherwise they wouldnt make screen protectors/dimmers .
    My travel time to work is around 1 hour evening then morning home in the winter months now my eyes take a punishment ie 1 hour of LED lights from trucks on the motorway ,followed by now all the Led smart motorway signs the flashing road works signs all this before i even start work .
    A digital era we now my child hood memorys consist of the flashing green man at a pelican but this day and age almost everything you come across is displayed with LED or some kind of digital screen .
    Maybe its time to invest in opticians as i can see a boom in there trade in the next 20 years .

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Seen a girl on our estate today cycling with one hand holding a tablet she had ear phones in too. Needless to say she wasn't paying any attention to the road as she wasn't looking at that and she couldn't hear anything either with the earphones. What are the parents thinking of?

Son (2yrs old) has an Android Tablet (ASUS
    ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M
    ) and uses it for YouTube (Nursery Rhymes, Kids training on colours, shapes, counting etc) He also had a free app called Endless ABC, we paid for the full version as it was cheap and great for his learning. His usage is monitored and he has many other non-IT toys that he uses, though the tablet is his favourite. It does mean he has hardly any interest it the TV which is a good thing, and has a very interactive experience with the tablet. He knows his alphabet, numbers, colours, shapes, days of the week and months, spells his name and can also sketch on the tablet.

Daughter (14) has iPad, laptop and Android Phone and uses them responsibly and for the correct purposes. The iPad was through the school where it was a requirement ad monthly payments which meant ownership after a year. I get a weekly report of laptop activity and the devices are removed before bedtime. There is regular video chat with school colleagues for homework discussions, plus general chat, but with studies going ahead for psychology GCSE, it has been an invaluable communication tool between her and friends.

There have been incidents of other school children using social media for bullying and racial abuse, but it's pretty apparent that the parents in those cases do not have concerns or can't be bothered with any controls. Much the same as the adult world and self control issues. Teaching responsibility at a young age and providing a tablet can only be a good thing, take away the responsibility side and whatever you get them could end up causing abuse or issues.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    Is that WL Academy ? Ex my old school Wyndham (before it was flattened) I saw an old photo of the Science Block on FB the other day.
    Thats an excellent use of Tablets, does WLA provide them or is it a joint effort , or sponsored by a certain Industrial Complex a few miles down the road ?
    Yes, my daughter is at West Lakes Academy. I actually posted a few images and a video when it was still Wyndham on a FB group page a few years ago. I left in 82 with zilch grades, I would of looked at sending my kids to Cockermouth if it was still Wyndham.

Parents had to pay for the iPads, which you can pay over a 3 year period if you wish. I actually don't see the point of parents evening anymore, with weekly reports and parent mail we are basically well informed with our kids progress nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    Not sure how watching a tablet for an hour a day is any different to kids watching TV for an hour a day in the 70's / 80's - up to the parents to regulate it, but to say they shouldn't have them is bloody daft.
    No, its not 'bloody daft' - its a difference of opinion and it depends entirely on the circumstances. I can honestly say that I never saw this 'Zombie Syndrome' until smartphones/tablets came along. Used correctly I am sure they are a good tool for learning but surely starting them so early is just setting them up for what comes next..................

People sitting glued - unaware of what's going on around them.

Whole tables of people in restaurants, head's buried in their phones, not talking to each other.

People stepping off curbs without looking - reading social media on their phones.

Etc. etc. etc.

Not much that can be done about it really - its today's world but I have rules. If I go for a night out with friends and their phones come out (not talking about phone calls), I'm outta there and they know it. I refuse to sit around whilst people chat away to others on their phones or read some social media crap.

Responsible parenting is the right way and clearly there are some but I've seen more than a few that just simply let their kids do what they want. Surely those kids have a right to be brought up properly?

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Last edited by prikphet; 31st Jan 2019 at 10:01.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Flip you are spot on with what you say ,i remember shaun of the dead when he goes for some milk ,and the director made the impression that the hero didnt notice zombies as everyone acted like them anyway and this film is some 15 years old .

Old Hand มือเก่า

My son does learn with outdoor play. He plays outside nearly all week long. The reason I want something educational is for times when it is useful to have at hand. Also, schools require kids to have them now as they are part of life.

I agree 100% with how the smart phone has destroyed society. I'm the miserable looking git who sneers at the top of people's heads in restaurants, on trains etc wondering how it got to this.

However, Flip you've taken a thread and warped it with details of your own. Where have I mentioned social media? My son is four, this thread is about something different. Read my initial post and the word 'learn with.' I have not asked for anything you have included. My post was innocently looking for details of hardware or software that could help him learn, specifically with maths and Chinese language. Your ramblings have derailed a perfectly simple 'tech request' into an opinionated divide.

'Responsible parenting is the right way and clearly there are some but I've seen more than a few that just simply let their kids do what they want. Surely those kids have a right to be brought up properly?'
    Am I irresponsible therefore big man? Is my son not being brought up properly? This is totally inappropriate considering the query I entered on a 'technical' section of this forum.
    What the .... has Shaun of the Dead got to do with a child's tablet for education? Have any of the Mods joined the Zombies on that film also?

Ian, your reference to what your 2 year old is using and for what reasons is exactly what I was looking for when posing the question. The details about Amazon also look really useful.
    Last edited by Barnet; 1st Feb 2019 at 03:48.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Whatever you get obviously needs to be supervised and, preferably, YouTube shouldn't be accessible or even visible. That kids-opening-presents/playing-with-guns/people-moving-toy-dinosaurs-around-with-their-hands-while-making-voices stuff is like kiddie-crack! I often think the only way to get them off it would be to make the videos yourself, involving your own kids as actors. Come to think of it, perhaps why half the videos are on there - from exasperated parents thinking they might as well make some money off it and do some real play.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    However, Flip you've taken a thread and warped it with details of your own.
    Isn't that what he does with every thread ? I've stopped arguing with numpty's (thanks Brexit) and feel a lot better for it

Tablets are going to be widely used in Schools and education ongoing and that opens up many opportunities to enhance learning especially in languages and subjects like history. Like computers the next generation will adopt the technology from an early age.

My kids grew up with the technology and it has always been monitored by me but now they monitor my access.

There are bad aspects but the facts are its a reality and a requirement in the modern world so we owe it to our kids to support them. I have several thousand books but use a kindle as I can carry an entire library in my pocket and share that library with family. Do I miss reading the real books sure I do but reading on a kindle is the same without the weight and now can even read in the bath.

Amazon fire for kids is cheap robust and a great resource just monitor its usage and aim for a balance jobs a good un
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Old Hand มือเก่า

My son does learn with outdoor play. He plays outside nearly all week long. The reason I want something educational is for times when it is useful to have at hand. Also, schools require kids to have them now as they are part of life.

I agree 100% with how the smart phone has destroyed society. I'm the miserable looking git who sneers at the top of people's heads in restaurants, on trains etc wondering how it got to this.

However, Flip you've taken a thread and warped it with details of your own. Where have I mentioned social media? My son is four, this thread is about something different. Read my initial post and the word 'learn with.' I have not asked for anything you have included. My post was innocently looking for details of hardware or software that could help him learn, specifically with maths and Chinese language. Your ramblings have derailed a perfectly simple 'tech request' into an opinionated divide.

'Responsible parenting is the right way and clearly there are some but I've seen more than a few that just simply let their kids do what they want. Surely those kids have a right to be brought up properly?'
    Am I irresponsible therefore big man? Is my son not being brought up properly? This is totally inappropriate considering the query I entered on a 'technical' section of this forum.
    What the .... has Shaun of the Dead got to do with a child's tablet for education? Have any of the Mods joined the Zombies on that film also?

Ian, your reference to what your 2 year old is using and for what reasons is exactly what I was looking for when posing the question. The details about Amazon also look really useful.
    I would say thats a little harsh ,innocence in a child is the most beautiful thing in the world not living up to expectations living life ,but who am i to say how to bring anyones child up that is down to yourself and you only .
    Any device that can bring about what the internet has to offer because it is UNCONTROLLED is asking for trouble no one was questioning you parent skills .
    I think flip like me would say you are doing right.
    The world has changed ie zombie reference.
    Maybe flip and me as my children have grown up now have not seen the leaps and bounds computers and such have made in the last 18 years it is a big leap .Playing snake on a Nokia in year 2000 ,dont be to harsh and children didnt even have mobiles then .
    PS used as a tool for education what a powerful tool it is .just saying maybe myself and flip didnt have to deal with this .
    Last edited by Samsung; 1st Feb 2019 at 20:43.

Old Hand มือเก่า

My point is, I simply asked for advise on getting my son a learning tool not anybody's opinions on social media or parental qualities.

Had I posted something like, 'Opinions on buying a four year old an Ipad,' I would be open to such but as it stands, I only wanted recommendations based upon people's experience of what they have bought for their child.

Old Hand มือเก่า

I know Barnet its a little off topic but how strange its been discussed all over the news today.?creepy if you ask me
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47160460
    Last edited by Samsung; 7th Feb 2019 at 20:30.

Old Hand มือเก่า

I do truly get the point both yourself and Flip made. I don't blame social media entirely, more so the Smart phone. Take internet dating as another example of how far we have changed the way we live. The younger lads I work with are all decent looking lads with loads to offer yet they spend their entire day swiping these apps looking for whatever they can.

At times I feel like a complete dinosaur looking with despair at these people glued to their phones. People may say I'm doing it right now but I log onto my laptop with my tea and have an hour or so reading up on sport, news etc and send a few messages to family members. The swiping/liking thing whilst on trains, a fag break, in a queue just doesn't appeal but each to their own. In China they actually do it whilst on the bog and even in plastic cases whilst sitting in the pool as their kids swim...

I only wanted recommendations based upon people's experience of what they have bought for their child.
    The I suggest you don't ask questions on a public forum.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    Isn't that what he does with every thread ? I've stopped arguing with numpty's (thanks Brexit) and feel a lot better for it
    You are of course, entitled to your own opinion Phrik. At least I debate rather than searching through the threads looking for someone who's opinions I can attack.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Topic - Tablet for a four year old.
    Advice required - Recommendations on what tablet to buy my son from which he can learn from.
    You - My opinions on social media and using phones and zombies blah, blah, blah.....

Tell me, does the above suggest that you answered my question accurately on a 'public forum' or do you care to be honest enough to say your opinions were not warranted? I'd be very interested to see your reasoning for STILL thinking they were.

I asked people to recommend a brand of tablet, you drowned the thread with your opinions on children using social media. It was completely off-topic. If people like you are allowed to derail people's posts with irrelevant waffle what's the point in having a forum at all?

You mention the word 'debate.' What part of my post required a debate other than what is the best brand/model etc?

In posting a question relating to buying a tablet for a 4 year old you opened yourself to anyone passing an opinion on the suitability of such a move. Had my opinion been considered 'off topic' it would have at the very least been moved.

The fact is that rather than accept that others have different opinions to yourself, you simply didn't like it. Had I started a new topic saying that I thought tablets were bad for 4 year olds, you would no doubt be accusing me of making veiled comments aimed at your post.

If I had posted saying how wonderful it was that you were buying a tablet for your child, I somehow doubt you'd be complaining that you'd only asked which one to buy - as I say, you just didn't like my opinion.

So no, I don't think passing my opinions was unwarranted. Considering the above, do you now accept that your oppostion is 'unwarranted'?

I don't have the time to search through all your posts but if I did, I'm pretty sure I'd find that you will have passed an opinion where one wasn't asked for at some point.

By the way, tell me you disagree, I'm wrong, whatever, we're all entitled to an opinion but stating that what other members write is 'irrelevant waffle' falls below the standard I'd expect from a long standing member.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Your response is pathetic.

I opened the post up to people posting their opinions on its suitability???? I opened up the chance for people to share/agree/disagree on the topic of tablet brands that are recommended for a four year old to learn from not somebody hellbent on getting his opinions on modern day society smeared all over it.

And yes, the MODs should step up and take your post off here.