Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    Your response is pathetic.

somebody hellbent on getting his opinions on modern day society smeared all over it.
    I'm not going to continue responding to you after this but........

I was not off topic and I didn't slag you off, neither did I try cheap points scoring by calling your posts 'irrelevant waffle' or 'pathetic' - I do have a reasonable education and have no need to sink to such lengths. You are the one claiming the moderators are lacking yet you resort to personal attacks - something the mods have warned about many times.

'Hellbent' - ever so slightly over dramatic there old boy. This forum has a few thousand members and possibly 100 or so of those are active. If I desired a soapbox, I think I could find plenty of places where my views would reach a bigger audience.

Chill out.

Old Hand มือเก่า

The correct answer is NONE !
    Now i aint going go on about how you should bring your kids up thats up to you ,
    but 4 year old get a grip go and run some of that energy off NO STUOID REMARKS BACK LET THE KID BREATH AND ENJOY LIFE .
    My god i can not believe this ?????
    WHATS THE WORLD COMING TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

babybusiness.jpg

You're Fired!
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Old Hand มือเก่า

My son runs from morning to evening outside. At weekends we're out and about. He learns in the football team I run every weekend plus he swims 4 or five times a week.

I started this post because he does NOT HAVE A TABLET. Get that? I want one for him to 'learn from' as kids do nowadays at school and when the time arises.

So Flip, I start a thread on which mountain bike to buy to cycle around the mountains and somebody derails the whole post by saying, I think cycling is dangerous and irritating to those wanting to walk around...blah blah blah......

That is exactly what you have done to this thread. I simply asked for advice on the best brand I did not say 'What is your opinion on using them.' The end.

If you can't accept that then so be it.

In conclusion - I would really like to get the Amazon Fire 8 but living in China poses a few problems. I have looked at Lenovo and they have a really sturdy, affordable tablet which I can upload Chinese learning apps on plus parental control.

Had some good Lenovo Tablets in the past. Recommend making sure the size and weight are comfortable for a 4 year old as some of the 10" tablets might be accidentally dropped more often, similar to if we were to carry around a 23" screen . Worthwhile getting a case for it due to this e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E890S...a-422484549809

and a screen protector.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review...eview-3628661/

This looks good as well

Funny all the detractors seem to forget that when we were kids learning often involved a good book which involved sitting down to read. Education uses technology these days and unless we all keep up we all miss out , seems to me reading the responses that Barnet has the correct balance.

As for modern kids spelling and vocabulary etc I have 4 and compared to certain posters here they do fine.

As to breathing and enjoying life when I was 4 I enjoyed reading and still do today
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review...eview-3628661/

This looks good as well

Funny all the detractors seem to forget that when we were kids learning often involved a good book which involved sitting down to read. Education uses technology these days and unless we all keep up we all miss out , seems to me reading the responses that Barnet has the correct balance.

As for modern kids spelling and vocabulary etc I have 4 and compared to certain posters here they do fine.

As to breathing and enjoying life when I was 4 I enjoyed reading and still do today
    ouch refer to the topic rather then the person or my me 109 will shoot your spit down

Try reading your earlier post if you can make sense of it also check the link which relates to child friendly tablets
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Old Hand มือเก่า

Try reading your earlier post if you can make sense of it also check the link which relates to child friendly tablets
    i did it dosent my fault ,lol but also the link which i posted ,its not the child friendly lots of positives from this kind of education its what becomes later .
    its a bug if i have a barbecue this year all mobiles will be confiscated on entry . you must see where me and flip are coming from .....................
    The net is a great place to learn from and foreign languages is awesome .

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

For clarification I really didn't mean to hit Thanks for above post, I was looking for the exasparated button....

seems to me reading the responses that Barnet has the correct balance.
    I'm sure he does Ash. I can see the benefits that are to be had and I know that the use of computers is just about compulsory in schools now. With responsible parenting and safety measures on the device, there should be nothing wrong with kids using a tablet - note I say should.

Times have changed, when I was a kid my mum worked part time, she brought up 5 of us and had time for us all. Nowadays, no idea of the figures but I'd guess that in 75 - 80% of couples, both parents work full time, almost all the ones I know do anyway. Despite all the modern conveniences that almost do the housework etc. for us, people are busier than ever. Its all too easy for a busy parent to park their kids in the living room and switch the tablets on.

Please note, I originally said 'I wouldn't be buying my kids a tablet' - my choice and my choice is based on what I see next door at my daughter's house. As far as I know she uses PIN numbers and limits her children's time on their tablets. But, I watched each and every one of them (3) grow up from the fortunate position of being next door and nothing, not books, cartoons on TV, nothing has ever turned them into zombies like this before. I can literally walk into the house, past them and out again and when they're on their tablets they wouldn't know I'd been.

I also read a lot as a kid and continued well into adulthood but I don't ever remember a book turning me into a zombie. I also played out a lot but the small play area opposite my house is empty these days. In fact, the council refused to replace some rides that were damaged because they say its not used enough. Yet there are more kids in the village now than there's been in the 31 years I've lived here. What does that say?

It is possible that my daughter doesn't stick to the time limits and I know the kids are crafty - if one's time is up, he will share his brother's device and vice versa but my personal experience is negative.

Old Hand มือเก่า

If I was bringing my son up in the UK I wouldn't want him playing out alone in the way I did. This is due to the gangs, addicts and other dangers they face now that I didn't.

I have been taking care of my son alone for the past six months. This will continue for the foreseeable future and although I prefer to engage with him as much as possible the simple reality is that the tablet/phone/tv is a Godsend at times if only to catch a break myself. I remember the wars my family had on driving holidays when 'I spy' ran out. The fact is that, yes parents, can abuse this position but they can also use them to their advantage too.

There are countless apps and such out there for kids to be learning on. People, including myself, assume the worst when they see the phone out when in fact they could be doing something constructive.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

I'd be happy for little boy to play outside and on the grassy banks like I did as a kid, however, those idiots in charge have allowed housing estates to be built with no play areas, no grassy areas to kick a ball around etc., so the local sport becomes knifing the opposing postcode instead of a game of footy, you kind of reap what you sow.

Barnet, My boys school recommended the Whizz Maths App - I try and spend ten minutes before school every morning going through some of the fun exercises with him - he loves it and occasionally his teacher checks his progress and gives him a virtual sticker - they earn credits for spending more time on the game and can buy virtual pets etc which he seems to love it also teaches them to save the credits as if it were money which is a good thing. I highly recommend.
    Last edited by prikphet; 25th Feb 2019 at 09:31.

all the years I've been away from this forum and you're all still fighting over small things, i'm surprised you're all not banned so funny ........

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    .. nothing has ever turned them into zombies like this before
    .. says the guy who can't see a thread without replying to it, whatever the thing's about! Brexit? Didn't even vote on it but still pile in hundreds of times with the opinions. Opinion, click, opinion, click. No addiction there...

I can literally walk into the house, past them and out again and when they're on their tablets they wouldn't know I'd been.
    Ah, you need to be more entertaining than the tablet...

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    I remember the wars my family had on driving holidays when 'I spy' ran out.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    I'd be happy for little boy to play outside and on the grassy banks like I did as a kid, however, those idiots in charge have allowed housing estates to be built with no play areas, no grassy areas to kick a ball around etc., so the local sport becomes knifing the opposing postcode instead of a game of footy, you kind of reap what you sow.
    What about the schools, traditional sports day, conkers, tig and british bull dog that are not allowed in many schools nowadays. I was so looking forward to watch our kids at sports day, there was only going to be one year that both of them would be in the same school at the same time, yet they went down, the non competitive sports route. The minority spoiling it for the majority, as usual.
    Last edited by Greg / Pairin; 26th Feb 2019 at 18:38.

Quote Originally Posted by livingwithathaigirl View Post
    .. says the guy who can't see a thread without replying to it, whatever the thing's about! Brexit? Didn't even vote on it but still pile in hundreds of times with the opinions. Opinion, click, opinion, click. No addiction there...

Ah, you need to be more entertaining than the tablet...
    Aa usual you are totally incorrect LWTG (and by the way, you are so boring on the Brexit thing that its not even worth responding to that part). As for incorrect, take a look at the hundreds, nay thousands of threads on the forum - I think you will find that, in comparison to the total threads posted, I actually reply to a small fraction of them. Further, I'm not about to count them but I'm pretty sure my posts total on the Brexit thread will be around 10 - not the hundreds you state.

The one thing that does stand out is you - as usual disagreeing with anything I write for the sake of it, no matter what the subject - take a break.

But hang on a minute - isn't replying to threads the whole point of a forum? A fine site it would be if people posted and nobody ever replied.

Oh, I get it, I should have known from you stupid comments - you're just doing your usual cheap point scoring again.......................carry on, I'm sure that at the very least, you entertain yourself.

Back to the thread.......Barnet, I hadn't realised previously that you were in effect a, single parent at the moment. I do understand and appreciate that you simply need a break sometimes and I can see why a tablet may help you there. Bringing up a kid on your own must be pretty difficult.

My worry and from what you have said, it doesn't apply to you, is what it may lead to in the longer term if not strictly regulated.

Case in point from this morning: I had a hospital appointment today and was sitting in the clinic waiting room when a couple came in with 2 kids - a boy around 18 months - 2 years and a girl, very difficult to guess her age - somewhere between 3 and 5. Now, kids are always going to be disruptive to some degree in such a situation - they're kids and can't be expected to simply sit still for what can be hours on end. However, the girl child came into the waiting room screaming, "I want my iPad, I want my iPad". She was throwing a proper tantrum and after being told that she was absolutely not going to get her iPad, she had it in her hands within 2 to 3 minutes - silence. 20 minutes later the little girl turned up the volume on whatever she was doing. Her mother went to her and turned it back down again.................another tantrum, screaming, throwing herself on the floor, the full mashing - you'd have think someone had just cut her finger off. But.........2 minutes later the volume is back up to full again and everyone had to endure that for as long as they were in the waiting room.

My kids were never perfect but never did they ever behave that way. I doubt this girl would have been anywhere near as bad if it were a dolly that had been taken away from her. It seems that these devices take over people's lives - even at 3 -5 years old. The child simply couldn't do without her iPad. Where will that lead?

I believe that in this case, the problem has been caused by poor parenting. I think that kids develop a bigger reliance on iPads than has ever happened with any other toy - it seems to become an addiction. Parents need to be aware of that and take appropriate steps to curb it.

I had many toys as a kid as did my kids, Scalextric, Leggo etc. etc. but I don't ever remember being addicted to any of them. I think parents need to realise just how powerful an effect these devices can have on kids - possibly moreso the younger they start.

Conversely, my daughter, with no prompting from me at all, has realised that reliance on such devices has been become a problem and removed them from her kids for the entire half term holiday. She cites noticable changes in their behaviour - swearing at her and being told she's hated when she's told them times up as her reasoning behind her ban. She says she is doing this to make them realise that there is a world away from their iPads and she's spending as much time with them doing other things this half term. The ban is not permanent but will be brought back if they behave badly when time's up in the future. I believe she is serious on this - thank god.
    Last edited by Flip; 26th Feb 2019 at 19:05.

When I was younger I got addicted to the Panini Football Sticker Albums, Top Trumps, stamp collecting especially Hungarian Stamps, Rubik's Cube and then sorting out bugs in Magazine Programs on the ZX81 before the next magazine came out. I think the first problem addictions I had were to a Hobbit Adventure game on the Spectrum and then Transport Tycoon/Sim City on the PC. Without the parental, and little bit of self control, what a life I would have now if it weren't for those problem areas of my life

Blog Entries

Oh dear. Time to let this topic rest.
    Tobias - โทเบียส