Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

Default Single or multiple entry tourist visa

Hi all, just been looking on the Thai embassy website in London, at the moment I'm leaning towards an ED visa so I can study Thai language, this gives me a maximum 1 year stay visa ( I have heard that if I leave Thailand just before the year is up upon my re entry to Thailand I will get another year stamped on the visa, effectively giving me two years) anyway, that aside, I have been looking at the 60 day tourist visa, if I had the 60 day multi entry visa left Thailand on say the 59th day and then re entered Thailand say a week later, would I get another 60 day stamp? Also the same question on the 60 day single entry visa, if I left before the visa expired would I get another 60 dats stamped on my re entry? Apologies if this has been covered before, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything that answered my question regarding this visa.
    many thanks
    essexboys

Quote Originally Posted by Essex boys View Post
    if I had the 60 day multi entry visa left Thailand on say the 59th day and then re entered Thailand say a week later, would I get another 60 day stamp?
    Yes, it is a multi-entry visa. That would count as your 2nd entry. You get 3 entries on a multi-entry tourist visa. Your last entry must made be before the expiry date of the visa, which is 6 months from date of issue.

Also the same question on the 60 day single entry visa, if I left before the visa expired would I get another 60 dats stamped on my re entry?
    No. It is a single-entry visa. Your initial entry used that up, even if you only stayed for 1 day. On re-entry you'd get a 30-day visa exempt stamp, same as anyone else without a visa.

at the moment I'm leaning towards an ED visa so I can study Thai language
    Be aware, the rules for a non-ED visa are very strict and strongly adhered to. Go on a non-approved course, fail to provide evidence of your progress, skip lessons, or miss (or, I think, even fail?) a single exam, and you're out.
    Last edited by maokaang; 12th Feb 2019 at 04:42.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Hi all, just been looking on the Thai embassy website in London, at the moment I'm leaning towards an ED visa so I can study Thai language,
    Might be worth checking if they are currently being issued. There has been a real tightening up on these visas as stated above. I know someone who wanted to apply for one internally and was told the quota had been reached.
    'Tis me

maokang & callerthank you both for your replys, I'm visiting Thailand in march and I'm going to look at the ED visa in depth while I'm there, my gf works for the ministry of education and her boss has said he will give me any help I need, he is preparing a list of schools in khon kaen (including khon kaen university) that are recognised by the ministry and are approved for Thai language course for foreign students, I will of course adhere to the course demands, so, no skipping lessons and make sure exams are attended. I will look a bit more at the criteria as I don't fancy failing a test and then getting the visa revoked.
    @maokang on the 60 day multi entry visa, are you suggesting that each time I re enter Thailand I would get a fresh 60 day stamp? Effectively giving me 180 days if used 3 times..
    many thanks
    essexboys

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

a multi entry tourist visa is just that a visa that gives a 60 day permission to stay stamp on each entry, the visa is valid for 6 months, so if an entry is made just prior to the actual visa expiry/use by date a fresh 60 day permission to stay stamp would be given, this could be extended by a 30 day extension issued by local immigration office for 1,900 baht, so a total of 180 days + the 30 days extension can be obtained,

get the visa as close to departure date as possible as the 6 months validity start on issue day, the multi entry visa give unlimited entries for the 6 month validity, not 3 entries as posted above.

an ed visa could be problematic.

if over 50 then a multi entry non immigrant 'O''A' visa would be the way to go as you can get 2 years stay from one, financials and other hoops are required, (please do not confuse with a non immigrant 'O' visa}

if long long term residence is required and you remain single and below 50 then an elite visa is the answer, but they are expensive.

Steve187 thanks for your reply, very helpful thank you. I'm just trying to delay putting out the financials as long as possible, but inevitably I will have to do it as my intention is to retire in Thailand.
    many thanks
    essexboys

Essex boys

i am an Essex boy at well, would love some pie and mash from the shop at the merry fiddlers, but that to one side, if over 50 an 'O''A' non imm visa would be the way to go, money required has to be in the UK not Thailand, would give you 2 years stay in Thailand, with one border hop just befor expiry of the actual visa.- http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en...ant-visas.html

Steve187 thanks for your reply, after giving it some thought it looks like I will be going after the visa that you have suggested, I do want to learn Thai and I will attend a language course in Thailand when I retire there, at least I can keep my money in a uk bank for a few years. The fiddlers pie and mash and the roundhouse in Dagenham for a boisterous night of loud music...
    again, many thanks
    essexboys

@maokang on the 60 day multi entry visa, are you suggesting that each time I re enter Thailand I would get a fresh 60 day stamp? Effectively giving me 180 days if used 3 times.
    Yes, as already confirmed by steve187.

However, that's not a very efficient way to spend 6 months in Thailand. 2 visa runs mean the best part of 2 days wasted travelling to Nong Khai and crossing the bridge, time and money spent. Two Laos visas will cost you another US$70 and two pages in your passport. 8 entry/exit stamps (Thai and Laos) will fill up another page and a half. Cheaper and less hassle with a non-immigrant visa and annual extensions.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Maokang I assume that's the non immigrant 'O' visa.....looks like I can get this here in London at the Thai embassy, still allowing me to keep my money in my uk bank for a few years.
    many thanks for your reply
    essexboys

Maokang I assume that's the non immigrant 'O' visa.....looks like I can get this here in London at the Thai embassy, still allowing me to keep my money in my uk bank for a few years.
    many thanks for your reply
    essexboys
    I think for a "O-A" you would need to show equivalent of 800,000 baht, but can be from a UK bank, the "O" is for lads who have signed their lives away (got married) Best off double checking with the Thai Embassy London.
    bangkok mags

Looks like they are making the ED visa more difficult to obtain, more hoops to jump through
    NEW! Additional requirement for Non-immigrant ED visa extension.
    Starting 1 March 2019, the Thai Immigration Bureau requires an additional form to be submitted for Non-Immigrant ED (student) visa extensions. The form is called “Certificate of Classmate (STM.7 สตม.๗).” This information has been officially confirmed to be accurate in Songkhla
    Province. Attached is the official announcement (in Thai) and the STM. 7 form.

Overview:
    In addition to proving your student status, now you also need to submit proof that you attend classes together with your classmates. You will need the signed statement of one classmate.

The form must be filled out by your classmate, either Thai or
    international. Thai students need to provide a copy of their national ID and international students need to provide a copy of their passport.

Validity: 15 days. Counted from the date written on the form.
    Note: One classmate can certify the status of only two classmates per year.
    The following additional documents need to be submitted in connection with this new regulation:
    1. Certificate of Classmate
    2. Signed copy of student ID (of the certifying student)
    3. Signed copy of National ID (Thai) or passport (foreign) of the certifying student

Certificate of Classmate STM 7 official announcement and form.pdf
    PDF

4 comments

Comment

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Information lifted from Thai visa Facebook page

Essex, are you married now? I can't remember. If you are, just get a 12 month Multi Entry Non Immigrant O Visa from the Thai Embassy in London - 90 days per stay - more with extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by maokaang View Post
    You get 3 entries on a multi-entry tourist visa.
    Is that correct Paul? I've never heard of that. I'm just about to enter for the 4th time on mine so I'm hoping that's wrong. Steve 187 has a different view. Can you or anyone confirm this?

Update:

From the Hull Consulate website:

The Tourist Visa with MULTIPLE ENTRIES is valid for 6 months from date of issue and allows an unlimited number of entries within the 6-month validity of the visa and each entry allows a stay of 60 days maximum. If exiting Thailand before the 60th day all remaining days of that entry are lost. It may be possible to extend one of the 60-day stays by a further 30 days by visiting a local Thai Immigration Office. The fee for the extension is THB1900

Phew, I was worried for a moment.

I will hopefully be going for an ED visa next year. I don't see the new requirements as a problem as I'll be a genuine student - far too many people abusing the concession before.
    Last edited by Flip; 11th Mar 2019 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Is that correct Paul? I've never heard of that. I'm just about to enter for the 4th time on mine so I'm hoping that's wrong. Steve 187 has a different view. Can you or anyone confirm this?
    Sorry, yes, badly worded. It would normally be 3 entries if you spent a full 60 days at a time with the visa (4 if you really pushed it.) The permitted number of entries is unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    the "O" is for lads who have signed their lives away (got married)
    It is also for retired persons.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en...ant-visas.html

"O" - To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)
    For pensioner (aged 50 or over) : A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

How much income? Clear as mud.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Hi flip,no I'm not married yet.....I'm still sticking with the plan to go to Thailand for a year on a non immigrant O-A multi entry ( I was looking at doing the ED visa but it looks like it's getting more difficult to do) I will be staying with the gf at her house for a year, I need to make sure that I can hack it in Thailand ( I made a big mistake when I moved to California to work and live I sold up everything and when I came back to England I had to start all over again. I will never do that again) I'm certain things will be ok but I'm being cautious, so the plan is to do the non I'm O-A visa application in London, this will allow me to keep my money in my uk bank, if all goes well I will border hop before the first visa runs out and get another 12 months stamped on it, after that if all is ok then I will stay in Thailand for good, and get married and sort out the visa based on marriage. I will be learning Thai language but I will be able to do it at my own pace without the jumping through hoops of the ED visa. I'm retiring at the end of October this year, and I have asked to be paid off by my employer, we have agreed a figure and I'm hoping it will get signed off, this will give me a nice lump sum and could see me retired by the end of march this year.
    Last edited by Essex boys; 11th Mar 2019 at 18:12. Reason: Additional text

Hi flip,no I'm not married yet.....I'm still sticking with the plan to go to Thailand for a year on a non immigrant O-A multi entry ( I was looking at doing the ED visa but it looks like it's getting more difficult to do) I will be staying with the gf at her house for a year, I need to make sure that I can hack it in Thailand
    Best of luck with the move. I'm far from an expert, we have guys here that live in Thailand and others who have lived there but returned but I've jumped a lot of the hoops already and I'm not there yet. If I can offer a small amount of advice it would be to deal with 2 of the 3 things that seem to get to foreigners living in Thailand the most, effectively and you will have a much easier time. Those 2 are the heat and bureaucracy - the other is women but that's a whole other story.

Heat: When you build the house you've talked about in other threads - spend a little more and deal with the heat problem efficiently. A new build gives you the perfect opportunity to do that by building double skin insulated walls, an insulated roof and fitting double glazed low e windows. That will make things a whole lot more comfortable without massive electricity bills. When you're hot and sticky even minor problems seem much bigger.

Bureaucracy: Don't try and do everything at once, you have time and if you do, they will fry your brain. Seemingly simple tasks can mean dozens of photocopies, powers of attorney and countless documents. Get a Thai driving licence and if you buy a vehicle, register it in your name - its not difficult. When dealing with anything to do with Thai officialdom, of course follow advice given on forums like this but also go to the office concerned and find out what documents they require from you first. There are rules but every office interprets them differently - saves a lot of time and frustration. You will get upset by some things - guaranteed but I think the most important thing is to accept (and sometimes its very hard) that things are different in Thailand - its not the UK. Things that are so simple here can take mountains of paperwork and many hours to do there. There is a plus side though - some things are actually much easier - a driving test for example.

I would also say build your house as you want it - I see a lot of foreigners living in Thailand in conditions they would not accept in the UK - I don't understand why. I was criticised for putting a full hot water system and UK style plugs and sockets in to my house but that's what I wanted and I'm happy with it. Do exactly what you want, by all means consider advice but at the end of the day - you are building YOUR home and changing things later costs much more.

Finally, I've watched a few guys in my locality (in Thailand) go downhill over time - one has just been found dead! Why? They failed to find things to do to keep themselves busy and fell into the 'bar life'. Sitting drinking beer at 10am is a sure sign that things are heading south. Don't do it.
    Last edited by Flip; 12th Mar 2019 at 00:16.

Quote Originally Posted by maokaang View Post

It is also for retired persons.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en...ant-visas.html

How much income? Clear as mud.
    no set amount just need to be in receipt of state pension and to show proof

Hi flip, some good points you have there, I do listen to what more experienced people advise or say it all helps, I'm not going into this with rose tinted glasses that's why I have a plan 'B'...on your last point regarding sitting in a bar, I can go months without a beer and then one weekend I might have a couple of bottles, I can take it or leave it, as for being bored, I work for a major high end motor manufacturer as an engineer, I worked in California for 10 years building suspension systems for a NASCAR team....and in my early years served as a engineer in the Royal Navy for 9 years, I was 19 and got caught up in the falklands war but being young it was a case of bring it on I'm invincible! In my spare time now I restore old seagull outboard engines, and I have done more than a few old BSA's. I will be building a workshop when it Comes to house building time, I just need a few tools and workbenches and I'm happy. I certainly won't be joining the sitting in a bar all day brigade..
    many thanks
    essex boys

I can take it or leave it, as for being bored, I work for a major high end motor manufacturer as an engineer
    We have something in common there then - almost 25 years in the motor trade - took my first engine apart at 11 years old (although my dad had to put it back together again ). Had a motorbike from the same age and still have 2 now - both in Thailand. I sort of 'fell out' with the motor trade in my 40's - went to university and joined the construction industry but once oil is in your blood, its hard to get it out. I still play about with motors and bikes and intend doing a lot more once I make the move.

All my gear is going with me - welders, jacks, compressors - the lot. It could possibly cost a bit of 'tea money' to get those items past customs but its a risk I'm prepared to take. Although those items cost a fortune to buy new, as I'm sure you know, trying to sell them secondhand can be difficult so if I lose them, I haven't lost much - I think it will be OK, the container will be packed with furniture so they may not even be noticed. I intend listing them as 'tools consistent with a hobby' and leave it at that. I've spoken to 2 people who moved their stuff to Thailand and said their container wasn't even opened. Thinking about that, although I may eventually cancel it and change to a different type - as I'm no longer married, I believe I will have to have a retirement visa to enable me to import my things.

You may want to consider taking your tools over too. I have found that most of the tools and small machinery on general offer in Thailand are very poor quality. When you dig a little deeper, you can find good gear but the prices I've found so far are astronomical. I'm talking about the kind of gear that only people in the trade would accept - I think you will know what I mean without listing it.

My workshop is already built and wired up - just needs the all important aircon unit to allow me to work in comfort.

flip i would look at a non immigrant 'O' 'A' visa from London embassy.

good tools can be hard to locate here, i maintain a 1974 vw kombi bus, in Thailand its called a watermelon, and every year i bring new parts over that are hard to source here.