Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Wife newly arriving in Manchester looking for work

Hi,

Can anyone help please?

My wife will be arriving in Manchester from Thailand in April. Does anyone know of any jobs or contacts who can help my wife find a job in the Manchester area. My wife has conversational English but needs to improve it so probably looking at waitressing in a Thai restaurant or something through a job agency. Part time may be best. I'm concerned about my wife becoming lonely and depressed. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

Suggest you find the local Thai temple to you and get along for the Songkran festival in April with the Mrs and hopefully she can do a bit of networking and maybe land something or at least make some Thai friends in the local area.

Member สมาชิก

hi manc 1 let me know when your wife arrives i can meet you in manchester centre at my cousin wan Restaurant Thats Thai on park street ,and take you both to the Thai Temple on Moss Lane Kearsley to meet Thai woman.billy

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

She needs an NI number before she can start work..

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As she makes more and more Thai friends here job offers will come by word of mouth. That's how my wife has found the majority of her jobs.

If she is interested in the cooking side of things there may be more opportunities as the staff turnover in many of the places my wife has worked at seems to be quite high. My wife started out washing dishes and preparing vegetables. As her confidence and experience grew she became much more involved in the cooking which lead on to chef jobs. She has moved around between various Thai restaurants as the conditions at some of them are not good. By that I mean many of the smaller restaurants will not be prepared to show all of her hours "on the books" if any at all. However she makes contacts everywhere she works which always share job opportunities as and when they come up so its usually quite easy for her to find something else if shes not happy.

One of the best places my wife has worked for is a chain restaurant called ThaiKhun and also their sister branch ChaoPraya. Decent salary, holiday pay and pension so 100% legit too. They both appear to have restaurants in Manchester so may be worth a shout. If they are anything like the branches my wife worked at they were often looking for staff

One thing I would point out. The downside to working in the restaurant industry is the hours are long and unsociable. Even if your wife is only looking for part time work it will still probably be evenings and weekends which isn't great for a relationship.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    One thing I would point out. The downside to working in the restaurant industry is the hours are long and unsociable. Even if your wife is only looking for part time work it will still probably be evenings and weekends which isn't great for a relationship.
    .. especially if you've got kids. Then it's you looking after them much more, doing a lot more of the housework, etc!

Another downside, if it's in Thai restaurants where all the staff tend to be Thai, is that she won't really be improving her English or widening her outlook much. She'd be working with all Thais, speaking Thai most of the time, still in that culture and frame of mind, learning little outside it.

To improve her English you could also enrol her in a part-time ESOL course at your local college. It will be full of other nationalities, at a similar level of English, all trying to learn and fit in. Apart from improving her English, she'll see different approaches and mentalities (rather than just being around people who may be talking about how much they miss Thailand all the time, what's going on there with some local celebrities, reinforcing that sense of loneliness and being in the 'wrong' place!)

Rookie มือใหม่

Thank you. That's really helpful. Both these have branches in Manchester.

Old Hand มือเก่า

In may CARABAO play at the temple in Kearsley /farnworth big gig im going tickets not cheap .
    Wife is excited .even got t shirt from bangkok delivered ,
    CARABAO AT THE TEMPLE MAY 28TH
    good way to meet thails as is the local market FISH ,
    But working in a thail supermarket /resturant your wifes english will will take a step backwards from experience i know , but money is important my wife went that way for for 6 months but then moved on .

Quote Originally Posted by Manc1 View Post
    My wife has conversational English but needs to improve it...
    A useful starting point could be the Adult Community Learning Service or Adult Education Service of your local council.

If you're living within the Manchester City Council area, there are two ESOL programmes that might fit the bill for your wife: ESOL for Work (9 hours/week) and Everyday English (4.5 hours/week). Your wife would be entitled to access these courses as the non-EU spouse of a UK citizen under Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) rules.

Manchester's Adult Education ESOL offering has a good reputation in the local authority ESOL provision world. Manchester also offers other ESOL programmes, e.g. Blended Learning ESOL, ESOL Grammar, ESOL for Personal Development, and ESOL Reading for Pleasure.

These courses are also great for developing friendships too.