Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Proposed LITUK reforms - still "ongoing"

My wife told me at the weekend that the Life in the UK test (LITUK) is to end on 29th March according to a post (in Thai) which she showed me from an online group of Thai spouses in the UK. I thought that this was strange as I've heard nothing of this and I do keep a very close eye on the various updates to the immigration rules.

That post is wrong and I told my wife so. I thought that I would share this as it's possible that the Thai partners/spouses of other members of the board may have also come across that post.

Here is the most up-to-date information about the future of LITUK and the language requirements:

The Government has just published an Integrated Communities Action Plan (February 2019).

Among the action plan targets are:

"We will revise the content of the Life in the UK test to give greater prominence to British values."

and

"We will strengthen the language requirements for those seeking to become British citizens, as well as keeping under review the impact of English language requirements on visas."

and

"We will provide information for all visa application routes about life in modern Britain, so that those applying for a visa to come to the UK are aware of our values before they arrive. This information will be aligned with the revised Life in the UK test."

The lead department in the first two targets above is given as being the Home Office. The lead for the third target is the Home Office and the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG).

The delivery date given for all three targets is "ongoing". In other words, they are works in progress.

Member สมาชิก

Glad to here it’s not ending as I’ve just booked my wife’s test for 19th March. It should be made more relevant to British life as opposed to all the historical stuff.

Member สมาชิก

Watching this with interest as my wife will be applying for ILR next year...

Cheers..

Old Hand มือเก่า

Me to this year is the one ,

Member สมาชิก

Well, my wife passed her LITUK test yesterday at the first attempt. Let’s hope it’s still relevant by the time we can apply for ILR next January

Old Hand มือเก่า

excellent news first attempt how did she study for it ,?
    congrats over the moon for you .
    you would have a bloody good case against them ,if she can not use it ,you be fine now all you need to do is keep a eye on the fees its April in a couple of weeks and save them pounds up

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    how did she study for it?
    She just used a mixture of the official LITUK book, the Thai version of the same book and online practice tests

Old Hand มือเก่า

exactly the same route as my misses that hopefully same result when she takes it her ILR it is not due till 2020 September so a few more months practice ,

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

My wife took the LITUK test today and passed first time.
    She was hoping to see what her actual score was but the letter doesn't show it.

She used a mixture of resources i.e. the Thai translated handbook, a newer book, online videos, tests online and help from a Thai LITUK Facebook group.

She will not be eligible for ILR until July 2020 (her BRP lasts until Dec 2020 and we will probably apply as late as possible to save up for the fees).

Old Hand มือเก่า

excellent news there saved your self tons of cash ,and the wife .very happy for you all the best 5 star.hope you bought the misses a nice pressie lol .

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Thanks she was rewarded with some fresh durian (cost A LOT).

Can anyone confirm that once she has ILR she can apply for British citizenship straight away as married to British partner?

As stated above my wife is eligible for ILR in July 2020 but FLR lasts until Dec 2020.
    My stepdaughter turns 17 in Dec 2020.

Can anyone confirm whether my stepdaughter would have to complete life in UK test and English test should she turn 18 before applying British citizenship?

Old Hand มือเก่า

wish i had a few durian trees in my back garden probably be able to retire lol

PSI, the existing holder of the Home Office contractor for the Life in the UK test has been re-awarded a new three year contract to continue to operate the LITUK test.

However there is no new information regarding the reform of this de facto pub quiz save for the following:

"The Home Office is continuing to look at reforming the Life in the UK test to give greater prominence to the British values and principles expected of those wishing to call the UK their permanent home."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Nok View Post
    PSI, the existing holder of the Home Office contractor for the Life in the UK test has been re-awarded a new three year contract to continue to operate the LITUK test.

However there is no new information regarding the reform of this de facto pub quiz save for the following:

"The Home Office is continuing to look at reforming the Life in the UK test to give greater prominence to the British values and principles expected of those wishing to call the UK their permanent home."
    Code for their not doing much, while giving the impression they are, be better if they reformed the Home Office, less looking more doing.
    bangkok mags