Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Cost Per KW Hour in Thailand

We are renting a small condo until the house is ready and the wife is getting in a spin about the potential electricity cost. Any idea of costs, we are in the Bang Yai area at the moment.

I have a Condo in Bang Na and my Electric bills are from the (MEA) Metropolitan Electricity Authority to which the meter readings are 6th of each month. The bills are paid from Mrs account, I can transfer money in.
    Just checked the bills for 2019.
    6 Jan 447.48 THB kWh 123
    6 Feb 262.10 THB kWh 66 but was in Isaan most of Jan
    6 Mar 780.89 THB kWh 204 more than I was expecting as spent time in MY and VN, but think Mrs was back here some of the time when I was away, bills are always higher when shes here as the aircons on more due to her doing workouts, acrobatics , yoga that type of thing every morning.
    If you're renting a Condo, they should tell you what the unit charge of Electric and Water will be, years ago we rented a Condo in Pathum Wan (downtown BKK) they gave us the unit charges before we signed to rent.
    bangkok mags

A lot depends on who is making any extra charges - the landlord/the condo management company/both.

If your wife is upset about it - you can probably be sure that the landlord is charging way over the odds. A few pass on the bill as it is - most seem to add their own 'bit'. Sometimes these add ons are really excessive - maybe a little late for you now but I learned a long time ago to check what the charges for water and electricity are before signing up.

If the charges turn out to be particularly excessive, try talking to the landlord - they may see sense and realise that reducing their 'little extra' isn't worth the risk of losing a tenant and having the condo empty.

In many condo units its the building management company that sets the rate - often over and above the actual charges. If that is the case, you are less likely to get a reduction.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

cost per unit direct from the PEA is around 4.5 baht, lots of condos and private renters charge more, but this was outlawed a few years back. the bill for the house across from me for a 2 bed single story with 2 Thai occupants was about 1.100 baht,( their bill blew into my garden - honest) my latest bill for a 4 bed single story 2 occupants with 2 laptops on all day, 1 fridge, 1 freezer, been doing some welding on the vw as well, lots of fans and aircon on a lot was 2,300 baht 545 units used 4.4 baht inc VAT per unit, but been really hot.

Quote Originally Posted by steve187 View Post
    cost per unit direct from the PEA is around 4.5 baht, lots of condos and private renters charge more, but this was outlawed a few years back.
    I'm not sure that's correct, I seem to remember that it depends on the amount of condos owned.

Thank you for the replies. Have also gone online to get an idea of rates etc. Usage is fine as I went around the Condo looking at Watts per appliance and did a quick calculation. As for the rate there is no paperwork and the wife did not asks. So god knows why she went in to a hissy fit, make be the lack of Old Holborn as no Rizla papers which will be fixed soon. (see other thread)

I rent a condo while I am in LOS for my 2 x 2 months holidays each year and I get charged:
    Electric - 7 THB/Unit
    Water - 50 THB/Unit
    I pay about 2000 to 2500 THB for 2 months
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Gary your situation is different and one you are happy to do. However strictly speaking if your landlord rents out 5 properties or more he is most likely in the wrong. If less than 5 probably not. But the government asks that landlords follow the rules as if you rented out 5 or more.
    Utilities should be at the rate charged by the water an electricity departments.
    My electic is about 2.85 a unit. As for water my bill was 53.83 for an entire month not a unit lol.
    I know you get on well with your landlord and you won't rock the boat but he is ripping you off.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    However strictly speaking if your landlord rents out 5 properties or more he is most likely in the wrong. If less than 5 probably not.
    He has 4. Well, 4 in the same building. I don't know if he has others.

I know you get on well with your landlord and you won't rock the boat but he is ripping you off.
    Oh I know I am being overcharged, but as you say I won#t rock the boat as I like what I have.

In some ways I want to find another place but the location and the size I think is hard to beat.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

I'm told PEA recently hiked up their prices.

My current electricity bill (including VAT) works out at 4.308 baht per unit.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    Gary your situation is different and one you are happy to do. However strictly speaking if your landlord rents out 5 properties or more he is most likely in the wrong. If less than 5 probably not. But the government asks that landlords follow the rules as if you rented out 5 or more.
    Utilities should be at the rate charged by the water an electricity departments.
    My electic is about 2.85 a unit. As for water my bill was 53.83 for an entire month not a unit lol.
    Jimmbo , I ve been ripped right off for this months water, they' ve had my eyes out compared to you.
    Water.jpg
    bangkok mags

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

We could send the bills to Gary It looks like he doesn't mind paying for an entire towns water bill lol