Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RSS Feed Thailand election: Thai princess to stand as PM candidate

In an unprecedented move, the sister of Thailand's king joins the race to be the country's PM.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

RSS Feed Princess Ubolratana: The royal who has upended Thai politics

The princess has previously starred in movies, sung with a pop group and is flamboyantly fashionable.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

RSS Feed Thailand's king opposes bid by sister to become PM

King Vajiralongkorn says her unprecedented move runs counter to the nation's customs.

Read full article ...

Blog Entries

A very wise decision by the King. I was very concerned when I read the original article. Then the lèse majesté laws would also have played a part in the election process, it could have been a very complicated and difficult election.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Has parallels with the Edward VIII story
    It is widely accepted that his brother, George VI, very quickly made him Duke of Windsor to ensure that he could not stand for election
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow MAN UNITED !!

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

It would have been "interesting", I'm just imagining the Army trying to stage another coup had it come to pass and she had been elected it certainly would have been a paradox for them.

Old Hand มือเก่า

she was stripped of her titles when she married but divorced and returned were the late king reinstated her ,so the wife says would have been very popular with the north ,her son was autistic and killed in the tsunami wife says he was the kings favorite.

Old Hand มือเก่า

I've heard that this princess is good friends with Thaksin Shinawatra!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    she was stripped of her titles when she married but divorced and returned were the late king reinstated her ,so the wife says would have been very popular with the north ,her son was autistic and killed in the tsunami wife says he was the kings favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    I've heard that this princess is good friends with Thaksin Shinawatra!
    If you read the BBC article in post 2, you will see the background.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

RSS Feed Thailand party accepts king's opposition to Princess Ubolratana PM bid

A Thai princess announced a bid to run for PM but it was swiftly opposed by her brother, the king.

Read full article ...

Old Hand มือเก่า

But now easy for the military to carry on with out a main threat ,back by 30 years if you ask me and i wont say backed by who as i might not get into Thailand again .
    Such a shame maybe this could have worked ,because it aint working or has not for the last 5 years .

Under Prayuth, I think Thailand can expect a mix of Burmese Militarism and Hun Sen.

After the recent hiccup and as the leader of the future forward party has said, the problems with the electoral system will only really emerge after the votes have been counted!
    'Tis me

RSS Feed Thailand's Princess Ubolratana 'sad' about election fallout

Princess Ubolratana says her bid to be PM created issues that "shouldn't happen in this day and age".

Read full article ...

RSS Feed Thailand election: Princess Ubolratana and the party power play

A shock announcement that a princess wanted to run for prime minister has shaken Thai politics.

Read full article ...

There's a lot more to this than meets the eye and I suspect foul play.

The princess had given up her titles when she married an American and was to all intents and purposes, a commoner, a celebrity yes but a commoner. As such the King had no power to stop her standing for PM and in any case, the protocol applies to the monarch - not their family. The King however, says it applies to all members of the royal family but that's not how its written.

Prayut has no intention of relinquishing his position, the new system almost ensures that and he's spent the last 4 years re-engineering the Thai political system to make it just about impossible for anyone else to be PM and have any power. Even if Prayut lost the election, under the new constitution its the upper house that's all powerful and they aren't elected, they're appointed (by the army).

The changes to the constitution made it very easy for the generals to say they will never again stage a coup - they won't need to, they will always be in control now.

The one thing Prayut hadn't counted on (who would have?) was the Princess announcing her intention to run for PM. The whole system has been set up to prevent any one party (except the army) gaining too much power - hence Thaksin supporters (with slightly differing leanings) forming several separate parties as a way around that. The Princess would have united those parties and created what would have been in essence, a whole movement akin to the Red Shirts.

Prayut's line to the King must have been red hot that day - no prizes for guessing who actually banned the Princess from standing. If Prayut had found some way to ban her, the people would not have accepted it, there could have been riots and Prayut knew that risk. However, if the King made the order, it would all go away very quietly and nobody would say anything - which is what happened.

Opinion amongst Thai's seems to be fairly widespread that the coup was welcome at the time amid fears that things could degenerate into civil war - but they are tired of him now. Yet, however tired they may be, there isn't much appetite for a fight - they even seem to accept that he will stay in power.

The vote on changes to the constitution that allowed the army to take control of the upper house was held without anyone understanding what was going on. Political campaingning and gatherings were banned after the coup - that ban stayed in place during the run up to the vote so very few Thai's actually understood the constitutional changes and what they meant for Thai politics.

I talked to a Thai friend recently, a fairly well educated guy, a teacher himself. He had no idea that the army now controls appointments to the upper house yet he voted for those very changes - seems to be a widespread phenomena.

Thai elections, a return to democracy? I think not.
    Last edited by Flip; 21st Feb 2019 at 17:21.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    There's a lot more to this than meets the eye and I suspect foul play.

The princess had given up her titles when she married an American and was to all intents and purposes, a commoner, a celebrity yes but a commoner ...
    That may be, but every time I have seen video images of 'The Princess' on TV everyone around her treated her as royalty: everyone would revere her, kneel before her, bow, ensure their heads do not rise above the princess'.

Whilst she may have relinquished her title, she appears far from a commoner in the eyes of the general Thai population.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Whilst she may have relinquished her title, she appears far from a commoner in the eyes of the general Thai population.
    Yes of course Tobias, but as I'm sure you will appreciate more than most - legally, it appears there were no grounds for banning her from standing as PM.

I believe the move was purely instigated by Prayut when he realised that he stood little chance against her.

Blog Entries

I can’t comment on the legal issues, Flip. I don’t know what the Thai law is, I’ve not seen the legal text.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I can’t comment on the legal issues, Flip. I don’t know what the Thai law is, I’ve not seen the legal text.
    I don't think there is actually a law Tobias.

Whilst I was in Thailand there were several different versions of what went on and what the royal protocol states. They varied between the King strongly opposing the Princess's nomination to hm forbidding it but all seemed to report that the protocol prevents the monarch from entering politics - supposedly the King himself said that applied to the entire royal family.

So whereas I don't think the Princess was actually banned from standing for PM, nobody goes against the King's wishes. The Princess herself would know that once the King had spoken, the people, who would most likely have been solidly behind her would be against her if she continued against the King's wishes.

Legally, I don't think there is any reason why the Princess couldn't have stood if the King hadn't opposed it. However, this is Thailand and I'm pretty sure that Prayut would have introduced such a law if the King hadn't stepped in. He must have been in one hell of a panic when the Princess announced her intention.

I followed what went on in the run up to the vote on the new constitution and it was disgusting - the Thai people were squarely shafted but knew little of it or were too scared to question the content. The nomal channels that would have informed them of what the proposed constitution meant were effectively, closed. I fear that what has happened in this business with the Princess has its roots in the Junta and that once again the Thai people have been prevented from a possibility of something close to real democracy.

The forthcoming election is nothing less than a sham.

Jonathan Head is spot on in these 2 reports:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39499485

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37013950

I think its very sad that the Thai people are as far away from democracy as they've always been but it won't change - there's too many vested interests, too much money and too much power at stake.
    Last edited by Flip; 21st Feb 2019 at 20:32.

Blog Entries

A protocol is an official procedure, or system of rules governing affairs of state; perhaps you can show us the actual wording of the protocol you believe has been misinterpreted or that places this restriction on only the monarch.
    Last edited by Tobias; 21st Feb 2019 at 23:17.
    Tobias - โทเบียส