Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Well what a surprise. I don't know why the BBC say that Chan o Cha's lot have taken an unexpected lead. He never intended going anywhere. In any case, in the event that another party was to win the election, they have to be approved by the military. The only thing that's changed is the colour of General Chan-o-Cha's jacket - oh sorry I forgot, he retired from the army didn't he.

In reality, Thailand is still under military rule and will remain so until Thai's realise what actually happened in the new constitution and change it........
    .....unlikely.

Biff, don't praise Thaksin for obtaining finance for farmers - thousands of them are now in debt because they were loaned amounts they never had a chance of paying back.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Biff, don't praise Thaksin for obtaining finance for farmers - thousands of them are now in debt because they were loaned amounts they never had a chance of paying back.
    That's what you took from my post? That I praise Thaksin? Try looking at the whole picture please, if you can. The idea that votes are bought and country people are stupid is perpetuated quite enough by the Bangkok elite without anyone else needing to chime in.
    Plus, I'll 'praise' whoever I like, thank you very much.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Old Hand มือเก่า

i was making a comparison about new voters and a view regarding new voters
    Im sorry flip it is about Thai votes and certainly if you had a view about something on any thread you would not hold back to say your point.
    Rather than climbing on your high horse whats good for the goose springs to mind .AND IF YOU READ THE POST IT IS THE THAI ELECTIONS.
    How one has used the national media every friday night for x years and the number of first time voters VERY poor point gaining reply .and with mine and biffs last post that makes a majority biting back .
    Last edited by Samsung; 25th Mar 2019 at 10:03.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

... it won't change - there's too many vested interests, too much money and too much power at stake.
    Sounds like some situation we have here too...

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Love how some folks opinions are made up by listening purely to people from Issan, it's like listening to only the opinions of Norfolk...

Whatever criticisms folk have of Thaksin and many are justifiable, especially the really dumb mistakes he made that led to the coup, what cannot be denied is that he has been the instrument for change that many in the country felt was needed.

Okay, it's not so good now, but as has been said, the people of the North understand where their power lies. The reaction to the ongoing support his party, even after Thaksin fled, in subsequent elections and the current political situation is testament to that. Younger people are less prepared to kow-tow to so called Thainess and can read foreign media, so are more informed than ever.

The old guard are on their way out, they just don't know that yet. How they go is another matter. It's also a mistake to think that all rich and powerful Thai's are part of such an elite, after all Thaksin wasn't. And nor are many other very wealthy Thais, such as the leader of the future forward party.

The Thais I know say, ' there is going to be big trouble in Thailand'.

Time will tell.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Thaksin writes on the election - it was rigged:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/o...as-rigged.html

It's a good article
    'Tis me

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    Love how some folks opinions are made up by listening purely to people from Issan, it's like listening to only the opinions of Norfolk...
    Well what a surprise, why not name 'some folks' eh Prik? You may have missed it but the political conflict over the last few decades has been centered around the Isaan issue? Red Shirts/Yellow Shirts? Coup? Were you asleep?

This election result was predictable, the BBC's Jonathan Head has his finger right on the button, he's seen through the military's changes to the constitution etc. from the start. Going on how things work in Thailand I'm surprised he hasn't been kicked out of Thailand by now - he has been sailing very close to the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by bifftastic View Post
    That's what you took from my post? That I praise Thaksin? Try looking at the whole picture please, if you can. The idea that votes are bought and country people are stupid is perpetuated quite enough by the Bangkok elite without anyone else needing to chime in.
    Plus, I'll 'praise' whoever I like, thank you very much.
    Well yes, it did appear that you were saying he has done some good and I agree with you on that - I'm simply picking on the loans issue. I am aware of 3 farmers in the Buriram area that were given loans under Thaksin's scheme - loans they have no hope of paying back - one is selling some of his land in an attempt.

Thai's in general seem to have a problem with credit - I struggle to understand the amounts they are loaned when compared to their income. I think extra care should be taken by lenders in Thaliand - not less. A government ordering banks to lend more to farmers that are already in financial trouble was not really the way forward.

I believe that some of Thaksin's policies have done a lot of good for Isaan but what I question, are his reasons for introducing those policies.

I don't think country people are stupid, I'm firmly behind the people of Isaan but there was a lot of vote buying going on in the Thaksin era - not through any stupidity, through false promises and bribery.

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    The Thais I know say, ' there is going to be big trouble in Thailand'
    I think that's correct Caller but I can't see it happening for a while.

When I talked to some hard line Red Shirts it was very hard to argue with their thinking. I was saying that violence was not the way forward - their reply was that they have not been allowed to hold meetings, they have not been allowed to criticise the military government and their political alliances have been curtailed. The military have gone after their financial backers - jailing some. So they asked, 'how do we get heard in a peaceful way' - hard to argue with that.

RSS Feed Thailand election: Evidence of ‘irregularities’ says ex-PM Thaksin

The former PM, who remains influential, told the BBC he was worried by the election process.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

RSS Feed Thailand election: Thaksin alleges 'irregularities'

The former Thai PM alleges to BBC Thai that there were "a lot of irregularities" in Sunday's election.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

I don't think country people are stupid, I'm firmly behind the people of Isaan but there was a lot of vote buying going on in the Thaksin era - not through any stupidity, through false promises and bribery.
    You've just described politics everywhere.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by livingwithathaigirl View Post
    You've just described politics everywhere.
    Mr JC promising the end to student loans .
    10 years of new voters and ten years of the old becoming no more its the same as the vote on the EU if you dont know any different you are going vote for what you know like i said it does not take a rocket scientist to work this out .
    Thai news you could even say BBC thats the same kind of propaganda both have pumped out for the last 10 years .
    Win and gain media and even more so social media (control) lock them up who oppose and you will be in power not saying the EU have been like this but they are not far away with the help of the BBC .

RSS Feed Thailand election: Where are we now?

Nearly a week after a landmark vote it is still not clear which party will form a government.

Read full article ...

Old Hand มือเก่า

Thakin is from the North as are most of his supporters. My wife and her family are ALL yellow shirts, God forbid, and they are from Norfolk/Isaan. I lived there when the Coup occurred and people on the whole were glad to see the back of Thaksin's sister.

Khon Kaen is red, so are a few other provinces but Isaan as a whole is certainly not a hot bed of red support.

In all my years living in Thailand I can honestly say most Thais I met saw the two colours as equally inept.

The biggest problem with people from the North East, as maybe other agricultural areas, is that they simply don't worry or know about it enough to care. That's the reality.

As for buying votes, Thailand and it's people use money in anyway possible when it comes to passing a test. If it isn't red it's yellow.

Loving the Isaan/Norfolk comparison. My Mother-Out-Law says that leaving the handbrake on runs the brakes down. Eating too much ice cream gives you a cold. Leaving the TV plugged in overnight will encourage the lightening to strike. Red lights attract ghosts. And my favourite......Aharn farang...Mai aroi......Meaning the hundreds of varieties she has tasted in the splendid, multi-cultural background of Kalasin.

I too love the analogy of Isaan and Norfolk, I nearly pee' d myself when I read it. Having spent quite a bit of time in both. We have friends who live near the Sandringham Estate, one of Mrs first destinations in the UK.
    Regarding the election Mrs never told me who she voted for, but can safely say it wont be anything to do with Two ex PMs in Exile.
    bangkok mags