Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

Default Work permit/Visa for working in a family business

Hi

Does anybody know if you can get a Work Permit/Visa (not sure of the correct terminology) for working in a family business?
    The reason I am asking is because we are eventually going to build a business on Ohm's (our) land and I would like to have the option of being able to help as and when I want/or as the need arises without the worry of getting caught.
    I thought I had read somewhere that it was possible if you employed other members of the family to class it as family business! But I can not seem to find it again

Thanks
    Wayne

Found this, but anything else would be good, thx

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/100...f-this/page/2/

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

The moderator 'Ubonjoe' in that forum knows his stuff. Your business would need to be registered properly as a company. You would need 1 million Baht as 'registered capital' (you can use various accounting methods to show this, you would obviously need an accountant who knew a little about the Labour laws for foreigners to obtain a work permit) and two Thai employees in order to apply for your work permit (I believe you would be required to show the Thai employees tax records). The work itself would need to NOT be on the list of prohibited professions for non-Thai citizens and you would need to be in Thailand on the correct visa or extension of stay.
    I would suggest a visit to your local Labour Dept. and ask them what paperwork they would need to see, as things can vary from office to office regarding their interpretation of the rules.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

From the Ministry of Labour list of prohibited jobs.

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347

There was a poster on here, Dan and Ploy, started an electronics company in Thailand. Packed up and went to Scotland.

http://danploy.com/diary_26_12_2018.htm

Yep, I will go and speak to the Labour Dept, Yes Ubonjoe knows his stuff.
    I however do not want the business, the business will be my wife's only, so I will not need the million baht, all I want to be able to do is help out without breaking any laws. If they say no they say no. So I will go and see what they say

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    I however do not want the business, the business will be my wife's only, so I will not need the million baht, all I want to be able to do is help out without breaking any laws. If they say no they say no. So I will go and see what they say
    There will be restrictions on what you can / cannot do. I hired an English speaking lawyer who was accustomed to Thai Company Law / Labour Law and he came in useful when I / Company had to go to the District Court for a company procedure. But that was a lifetime ago and Thai company law has changed. Good luck with it all.
    bangkok mags

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    You'll still need the amount of 'registered capital' in order for the business. whoever owns it. to be able to employ a foreigner. That doesn't mean you need a million baht, it means you need 'registered capital' of a million baht. Not the same thing at all.
    You'll also need to have a more specific role than 'helping out' in order for them to issue a work permit.
    "And yet, here you are."

I agree, but depending on the 'business' your wife will run I think the hassle of obtaining a work permit outweighs the hassle.
    If you apply as a position of 'helper' you will fail.
    Basicly, if a Thai can do the job your going to do, your application will fail. Unless that is, you own the company and go through hoops (and cash).
    Of course there are ways that are not exactly legal but you will be looking over your shoulder and believe me, if you upset a neighbour, relative, local shop owner they will stick you in it for the most minor reason.
    Exceptions to the rule; Hospitality. There are opportunities there to get a work permit.

What business are you talking about? (sector)

Dan (and Ploy) basicly gave up and Dan is now in Scotland running his business. The hurdles of a small business was far to restrictive (visa/permit wise)
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

@ian1208

We are looking at doing an air conditioned coffee lounge with free wifi, a computer, printer and scanner. We are also toying with the idea of putting in a PS4 in one corner for the area youth. We have a secondary school about 400m down from where I live. I am under no illusions that we are not going to get the monies back for building it but if we get enough to cover the overheads we will be happy.
    Thanks for all the info. I will go and speak with the correct department and get it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Look for the (updated) list of prohibited professions for foreigners. Pretty much everything you can do to 'help out' in a coffee shop will be on there.
    "And yet, here you are."

Quote Originally Posted by bifftastic View Post
    Look for the (updated) list of prohibited professions for foreigners. Pretty much everything you can do to 'help out' in a coffee shop will be on there.
    Ok, so its said. I will however go and speak to the Office responsible. Then I will get the definitive answer, as you suggested in a previous post... as I did when I was told I could not get a Yellow Tabian Bahn and Pink ID card on 30 day exemption stamp...when in fact it took me 7 days to get it with no issues. But after all it is Thailand.