Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Brit 'who killed wife after she refused sex' dies from injuries in Thai prison

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...after-14311152

A Brit accused of strangling and kicking his wife to death when she refused him sex has died after suffering injuries in a Thai prison.
    The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has confirmed Kevin Smitham’s body was found at the base of Thailand’s Ubon Ratchathani Central Prison.

Smitham, 51, from Nottingham, was awaiting trial for the brutal murder of his Thai wife Kandra Smitham, 29, on April 15 last year.
    The couple, who had two young children together, had been staying with Mrs Smitham’s parents in Ubon Ratchathani, in the northeast of the country, for the Songkran New Year festival.
    Her body was found under a blanket early on April 16 by shocked neighbours.

Old Hand มือเก่า

In a country so hell bent on political correctness it's shocking how they can still get away with reporting stories as sad as this with cheap accompanying images. They're leading readers straight into the assumption that the couple are Mr and Mrs Beer Bar. There's no thought given to what the children will think when they're old enough to see it. Hopefully, they'll receive an education good enough to teach them to stick the Daily Mirror in the bin, where it's always belonged.

Blog Entries

What is your concern about the photographs, Barnet? When I looked they looked like images of a very happy couple. Have the photos changed?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Old Hand มือเก่า

No they have not changed as you well know. Your opinion is of a very happy couple whereas to me they portray a stunning lady, obviously a lot younger than her husband dressed up to the nines and showing her cleavage off in each picture. The first picture is in a bar, the second shows the beer bottle.

Maybe that is exactly how they lived their lives, we'll never know, but if it were a couple from any other race I'm certain it wouldn't be the same portrayal.

Member สมาชิก

This was months ago why has it just appeared again? as for the photos you would have to be very puritanical to object to them

Old Hand มือเก่า

Puritanical? Maybe. Or maybe just tired of seeing an image in a paper and knowing exactly what country it refers to.
    Last edited by Barnet; 16th Apr 2019 at 04:47.

Stereotypical photos. Why is the lady shown in her bikini considering the circumstances and the details given? A tragic story that's been juiced up.
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    No they have not changed as you well know. Your opinion is of a very happy couple whereas to me they portray a stunning lady, obviously a lot younger than her husband dressed up to the nines and showing her cleavage off in each picture. The first picture is in a bar, the second shows the beer bottle.

Maybe that is exactly how they lived their lives, we'll never know, but if it were a couple from any other race I'm certain it wouldn't be the same portrayal.
    I don't know if the photographs had changed or not, I assumed they had changed because of your outrage. It is so tiring reading the contributions of certain people in this forum, always playing the victim or feeling hard done by.

This is a tragic story where two people have lost their lives and two young children have lost both their parents and yet we have responses like this - you see what you see, but all I see in those photographs is a couple who looked (at least at the times the photographs were taken) very happy and enjoying life.

Why is it relevant that she was much younger than him? Why is it relevant that she took pride in the way she looked? Why is their race relevant? They were clearly happy to post those photographs on their social media accounts, they did not appear embarrassed by their relationship so why should you?

I was surprised there was no comment here on why this has only been reported now, some eight months after this man died, or how he might have met his demise.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    In a country so hell bent on political correctness it's shocking how they can still get away with reporting stories as sad as this with cheap accompanying images. They're leading readers straight into the assumption that the couple are Mr and Mrs Beer Bar. There's no thought given to what the children will think when they're old enough to see it. Hopefully, they'll receive an education good enough to teach them to stick the Daily Mirror in the bin, where it's always belonged.
    You obviously haven’t been reading newspapers for a long time.

Whenever a tragedy like this happens the media almost always find photos of the people in the story. Usually enjoying life before the tragedy happened. As sure as eggs are eggs if a pretty girl is involved the newspapers will use a photo to show how pretty she was. For the newpapers it's even better if she is wearing a bikini in the photo.

i have no doubt that the story would have been treated exactly the same if the woman had been Thai or any other nationality. Most couples have most of their photos taken where they enjoy their time. In the main those photos are taken in bars or restaurants.

It is so tiring reading the contributions of certain people in this forum, always playing the victim or feeling hard done by.
    Forums are so people can give differing opinions so others can make up their own minds on a subject, not to accept just one persons.

Whenever a tragedy like this happens the media almost always find photos of the people in the story. Usually enjoying life before the tragedy happened. As sure as eggs are eggs if a pretty girl is involved the newspapers will use a photo to show how pretty she was. For the newpapers it's even better if she is wearing a bikini in the photo.
    This is when you can judge the 'class' of a paper.
    Last edited by marshall; 16th Apr 2019 at 11:59.

They were clearly happy to post those photographs on their social media accounts, they did not appear embarrassed by their relationship so why should you?
    Context? Posted on social media accounts for like minded friends and family to see. The problem comes when those photos are shown in a British paper where many readers have preconceived ideas about a place and people's main reasons for going there. Hence my objection to posting the bikini photo it plays up to this stereotypical view many have of why guys go to Thailand.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

You obviously haven’t been reading newspapers for a long time.
    Or maybe he has for too long and is fed up with how papers choose photos from social media and their reasons for doing so.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Diary used to be secret, now there on Social Media for all to see.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

When I first saw this article I thought that it had only just happened hence why it was in the news.
    Turns out he died in August and only just been confirmed by FCO.

I thought the press were quite respectful for a change and no issues with the photos.