Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie มือใหม่

Brick wall Changing Wife's Thai passport to her married name for UK Passport

My wife has a Thai passport in her maiden name and on naturalization she applied for and got a UK passport in her married name in June 2009. When she applied to renew her UK passport she sent off both her Thai and current UK passport, due to expire on 13 June 2019. The Passport Office kept her UK passport and returned her Thai passport saying that they were unable to issue a passport until the names in both passports matched.

So, according to the Passport Office, even if this means returning to Thailand to change her Thai passport to her married, then she must go. Sure she can go to Thailand on her Thai passport, but how does she get back? I'm sure she would be refused entry to the UK if she only has a Thai passport, and the Passport Office in the UK has her shortly to expire UK passport.

Any helpful advice anyone?

You can get it changed at the Thai Embassy in the UK.

Rookie มือใหม่

Having checked on the London Thai Embassy website in the section on applying for Thai passports I found the following, and I quote,

"Please note:
    The Royal Thai Embassy, London will issue a passport containing the first name and surname of the applicant in accordance with the personal data in House Registration Document only.

If the applicant has changed or wishes to change his/her surname after marriage or divorce, the applicant is required to bring evidence of marriage or divorce in order to apply for an amendment of his/her personal data at the District Registration Office in Thailand prior to applying for a new Electronic Passport in London."

Are you sure my wife can change her ID and Thai passport to her married name in London?

We haven’t had to do it yet. Take a look here:

https://thailand-uk.com/forums/showt...e-and-passport

Premium Member

Just confused!!! If she has a UK passport, did you need to send the Thai one as well?

The uk passport office ask dual nationals to send in any other passports,whether expired or not,alongside their Uk passport.If all are in the same name you will have no problem in renewing the Uk passport.
    Home office policy changed in 2016 so that all duals had to have matching names(never had a scooby do and it certainly wasn,t advertised).
    My wife is hopefully coming to the end of this total debacle.Just waiting for her new Thai passport to arrive so she can send this off and finally get her new Uk passport.
    The journey so far has meant a visit to a local solicitor, getting documents legalised (at £30 a pop)by the home office and 2 visits to the Thai embassy in London and the road show in Edinburgh.
    My wife gave POA to a relative in Thailand to change her passport name,Thai ID and house registration.
    The Thai embassy also charged for them to legalise both the Thai documents and the Uk home office documents at £10 per document(x7).
    The Thai Embassy also need to see the original new house registration document so there has been a lot of post tooing and froing between the relative(niece)and my wife.Thankfully nothing has got lost...yet.
    Good luck Paul...at least you've been warned.
    If you need any further help/advice just ask.
    I would suggest that it would be a lot easier to do in Thailand but my wife was also worried about reentry.
    Btw, my wife also was naturalised and got her Uk passport in 2009.

Rookie มือใหม่

I think everyone who has dual nationality should be made aware that if they send off their UK passport for renewal they have to send their other passport too. If the names don't match the UK passport office keep the UK passport and send back the other passport for you to change the name. Better all round to get your other passport changed while your UK passport is still current to make sure you can get back into the UK!

I have told the Passport Office that they should flag up that both names have to match before you submit your application for renewal.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Galahad,
    Thanks for your offer of help. Did you get my private message to you?

Hi mate,yeah just read it .
    Bit different from our situation but I,ll ask the wife and message you later.
    I know the Thai embassy have a Facebook / messenger page so might be wise for your wife to get in touch.I know they let my wife know what was needed etc,
    regards

Member สมาชิก

Been through exactly the same.....
    Cannot have two passports with different names, even though the British passport has a line for 'also known as', ideal place for maiden name but no.
    Even tried waiting a year till Thai passport expired so no clash, but you can't do that either.
    Had to go to Thailand and change all documents to married name, then apply for new Thai passport in married name when back in the UK.
    The lovely wife has been here for ten years now, only took nine years to sort out everything..... It's a long expensive journey but stick at it.

I'm glad somebody has discussed this topic again as I posted a couple of weeks ago and didn’t get any useful replies.

My wife is in Mukdahan at the moment and went to her local amphur and asked the question. After a bit of toing and froing we have found that we need to take our marriage certificate to the British Consulate (presumably in Bangkok?) and have it validated in some way. Then we get it translated into Thai. My wife needs to change her name in her housebook and then take the whole lot back to the amphur and they will issue her ID in her new name.

Then get her Thai passport changed by when it expires early next year or when she happens

She will apply for ILR in just over two years, then she will go for citizenship and a Brit passport.

Can anybody let me know if I have this right please? I do know that it can vary a bit from area to area.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    I'm glad somebody has discussed this topic again as I posted a couple of weeks ago and didn’t get any useful replies.

My wife is in Mukdahan at the moment and went to her local amphur and asked the question. After a bit of toing and froing we have found that we need to take our marriage certificate to the British Consulate (presumably in Bangkok?) and have it validated in some way. Then we get it translated into Thai. My wife needs to change her name in her housebook and then take the whole lot back to the amphur and they will issue her ID in her new name.

Then get her Thai passport changed by when it expires early next year or when she happens

She will apply for ILR in just over two years, then she will go for citizenship and a Brit passport.

Can anybody let me know if I have this right please? I do know that it can vary a bit from area to area.
    Usually, when documents are translated from English into Thai for official use, you also need that translation stamped as being accurate by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs (also in Bangkok).
    As for the part of your question about whether or not the whole thing is actually required, seeing as the office where you need to get the thing done has said that that's what you need to do, then I would imagine that that is indeed what you need to do.
    Have you contacted the British Embassy in Bangkok to see if they do that sort of thing?
    Usually the verification of UK documents for use in Thailand happens in the UK via the Thai Embassy.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

I tried the Thai Embassy in London the other day and I was on hold for 40 minutes. I will persevere next week.

Thanks.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    I tried the Thai Embassy in London the other day and I was on hold for 40 minutes. I will persevere next week.

Thanks.
    The information is on their website.
    http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en...alisation.html
    Looks like the UK Embassy in Bangkok can't provide what you're looking for.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial...cannot-provide
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    Even tried waiting a year till Thai passport expired so no clash, but you can't do that either.
    I'm curious as to how that is not possible!

Section 3A of the passport application says "Has the person named in section 2 had any sort of passport (British or otherwise) or been included in any passport before?
    So the answer is Yes (her current British passport, and of course her expired Thai passport).

Section 3B states "You must submit us all uncancelled passports with the application.

Therefore you only submit the current British passport (not the Thai one as it is expired) and as there is no mention of the "expired" Thai passport (with the different name) on the form why would the British one not be renewed?

I'm asking this because we are about to renew Nok's British passport and this is actually the advice I was given yesterday when I called the passport help line.
    I made sure (because I had heard of this problem) to double check after receiving the initial answer and specifically say the her expired Thai passport is in her maiden name and her British one is in her married name, but the response was the same.

As the Thai passport has expired there is no need to submit that one or mention it on the form, ONLY mention and submit any "current and valid" passports, in this case just her British one.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Good luck with this one Gary but I was of the understanding that all dual nationalities had to disclose all passports whether current or expired(have you ever been known by any other name etc).
    Just been through all this process..happily the missus now has both current passports in the same name.
    I found problems between differing communications I was getting from the passport office(e-mails) and the actual caseworker.
    I,m amazed you actually got to talk to anyone! I couldn't find any phone contact details (that led to actual talking to a human being)and all correspondence was by either e-mail (probably to a call centre /answering service working on the behalf of the HMPO or by actual letter(caseworker)
    Seems as if the HMPO are telling you to not disclose any expired passports of other nationalities...seems strange to me.Just be careful that the information you have been told isn't coming from the bottom rung of the ladder.
    Good luck anyways..I originally told the missus not to send her thai passport alongside her soon to be expired UK passport...if I had known what was to come...I would have hid her thai passport!!
    regards

Member สมาชิก

Brick wall

My British Wedding certificate was sent off to the FCO for certification.. it then was passed to the Thai Consulate to be stamped. I unexpectly had to present it to the immigration office who sent me to the City Hall in Ubon to be stamped again. It was then suggested l register with the local Ampere who asked for the wedding cert to be translated to show my name in Thai and for that translation to be certified at the City Hall. We first spoke with an Ampere in BKK, they only needed the wedding certicates stamped by the British Embassy (FCO) and didn't require a translation and suggested putting my name in the house book which is unusal.

My wife also has dual nationality but has a few more years before her British passport expires.. hopefully we will have changed her the names in her ID Card and Thai Passport by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealy View Post
    We first spoke with an Ampere in BKK, they only needed the wedding certicates stamped by the British Embassy (FCO) and didn't require a translation and suggested putting my name in the house book which is unusual.
    Did you get your wife's name change done at the Amphur in Bangkok? I thought you had to go the Amphur that is closest to her home village? Which Amphur in BKK did your wife use?

Thanks.

Member สมาชิก

We spoke to the Ampere in Yan Nawa when l arrived in May. I arranged for family to post the marriage cert to London to be legalised and a friend delivered it to me in Thailand this month by which time we had moved to Ubon Ratchathani. I have had 2 visa extension while being in Ubon, it was during the 2nd application they requested our marriage certificate and suggested we register our marriage at our local Ampere in Lao Suea Kok.. it was them who requested the certificate translation. My wife registered her address in Ubon as part of the 2nd visa application.

Sorry if that is a bit long winded

Can you tell me where you had your marriage certificate legalised please? Was it the FCO in London?

Thanks.