Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Getting married during Songkran

I’m getting married in Phuket in April next year. As my partner and I are British I’m aware we will have to jump through several hoops in Bangkok to legalize our marriage. We plan to be there on Monday 6th April as we will get the wedding planner to go back and collect our documents - does this sound feasible? We can be in Bangkok also on the Tuesday if required but need to be in Phuket by 8th April.

We’ve now realised the wedding is smack bang in the middle of Songkran and are worried that our original plan of having a district officer from the local Amphur at the wedding to make it legally binding that day might go awry.

Does anyone have experience with this? If our wedding day is unlikely to be legally officiated we are minded to scrap Bangkok altogether and do the ceremony in the UK.

Also, how difficult will it be for our guests to get adequate transport to the wedding venue during the water festival? I’ve heard this can sometimes be difficult. Wedding is in Kamala and most guests will be coming from Karon or Patong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Government offices are closed on specified days during the Songkran (Thai New Year) festival. This year it was officially from the 12th-16th of April. Officials and other staff will be on holiday during those dates and you won't be able to get any official business done then. If your wedding doesn't fall on those dates (dates for the following year will depend on any 'replacement days' of holiday if the official Songkran day 13th April, falls on a weekend) then you should be able to get the officials to register your marriage.
    Again, if your wedding isn't on one of the public holidays then transport should be as readily available as it normally is. If it does fall on one of the Songkran holidays then it might be tricky, but still possible I would imagine (at an extra cost, of course!).
    If you are having the ceremony on one of the official holidays and it's not possible to get the marriage certificates done on the same day, you can wait till the offices are open again and get them done then. Getting a Thai marriage certificate is a slightly different process than it is in the UK. There is no kind of 'ceremony' attached to it, it's about as romantic as getting a TV licence. Many Thai people have their ceremonial wedding on a completely different day to the day they spend sitting in a the local office with a ticket number in their hand waiting for their details to be entered into the computer system and the marriage certificates to be printed out.
    I'm not sure how the officials would even be able to do this outside of their office if they were to attend your ceremony.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Even if you were to have your ceremony during the Songkran festivities next year I can't see there being any issue with transport.
    Kamala is not very far from Patong and Karon and there will be taxis/ tuk tuks aplenty.

Thai Public Holidays 2020

Mon 6th April Chakri Day

Mon 13th April to Thurs 16th April - Songkran
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks all for your advice.

Wedding is on 14th April so is on one of the bank holidays but the wedding planner tells us she will get someone from the Amphur for the day we will just have to pay more for them.

We are quite reluctant to do anything at the district office (notwithstanding it’s being described as about as romantic as getting a tv license!) as if we are legally married before or after our 14th April ceremony we would rather do the legal bit in the uk as then we could save a few days in Bangkok and don’t have to go through the hassle of translations etc.

Thanks for the heads up about Chakri Day, although the British embassy was open this year (according to the website) so I hope that means it will be next year. We’ve also been told it will be closed on 10th April next year as that will be Good Friday and because of Songkran the embassy will be closed until the 16th.

It sounds like taxis will be fine around the wedding so cheers for that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mxkx View Post

Wedding is on 14th April so is on one of the bank holidays but the wedding planner tells us she will get someone from the Amphur for the day we will just have to pay more for them.

We are quite reluctant to do anything at the district office (notwithstanding it’s being described as about as romantic as getting a tv license!) as if we are legally married before or after our 14th April ceremony we would rather do the legal bit in the uk as then we could save a few days in Bangkok and don’t have to go through the hassle of translations etc.

Thanks for the heads up about Chakri Day, although the British embassy was open this year (according to the website) so I hope that means it will be next year. We’ve also been told it will be closed on 10th April next year as that will be Good Friday and because of Songkran the embassy will be closed until the 16th.

It sounds like taxis will be fine around the wedding so cheers for that too.
    There's nothing very romantic about most registry offices either. The Amphur is only the legal bit and doesn't need to be romantic.

I would be more worried about my bride, dressed up in her wedding dress being drowned with ten gallons of water from a passing pick up than transport during Songkran...

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mxkx View Post

If you're 'doing the legal bit' in the UK before you arrive in Thailand then there's no need for anyone from the Amphur to be there at all. That's the only thing they're for, the legal bit.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

I'm totally confused now. If all you're going to have is a 'Wedding' ceremony, then there is no need to legalise anything in Bangkok. Or as biff has mentioned, have anyone from the Phuket Amphur in attendance.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Why not get fully wet at Songkran in Phuket by having a underwater wedding ?
    bangkok mags