Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

RSS Feed Backpacker jailed in Thailand for 'picking up phone' returns home

Chris Dodd spent 10 days in a Thai jail after picking up a mobile phone another tourist had dropped outside the airport.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News UK RSS Feed)

Old Hand มือเก่า

Interesting story.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Member สมาชิก

At least he got a free haircut and go fund me bailed him out with the Police. No way was he intending to hand it in, if he was why leave with it and not hand it in at the airport?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave&Lek View Post
    ... No way was he intending to hand it in, if he was why leave with it and not hand it in at the airport?
    Even if that is true, and there is no evidence to suggest he wasn't intending to find the owner of the phone, don't you think being thrown in to a prison for 10 days awaiting charge/bail/hearing is far too much? He's have been in there for much longer had it not been for the crowdfunding and the intructing of a local lawyer. Shameful treatment.

The report is that he found the phone in the gutter as he was getting in to his taxi, he did exactly what I would have done. I'd have taken the phone with me and tried to find the owner once settled at my hotel.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ile-phone.html

"He was staying just a ten-minute drive from the airport and left the phone in his room while he went to get some food but returned to find the Thai police waiting for him."

Aom's phone disappeared from her pocket whilst she was shopping in Wilkinson's on Friday. She knew it was in the store as she showed a store assistant a photo of an item she wanted and then put it in her pocket, when she got to the till it was no longer there. A check in the store proved unsuccessful and she left them her contact details as they were going to check CCTV on Saturday. I did all the locator software as soon as Aom let me know, but it was offline. It was James's 3rd Birthday on Sunday and we had a zoo trip planned on Saturday. Saturday morning I phoned the store and spoke to the manager, he confirmed no phone had been handed in and they would check the CCTV later in the day. We went to the store in late afternoon and still no sign of the phone. The CCTV had shown her put it in her pocket and the confusion at the till, but they were unable to locate where it had disappeared. We did a thorough sweep of the store, around 2 hours searching, checking under racking, on shelves, even in all the boxes, drawers and everywhere we could think of, no sign of the phone and still off-line. Also visited CEX and some smaller stores to see if anyone had tried to sell it. Reported it to the Police on 101 and registered it on ReportMyLoss (£4.95) fee.

Maybe someone with a good heart has picked it up and intends to hand it in when they are finished with their Bank Holiday duties, thinking that it would be better than handing it in to the store where they had found it as it would have taken up too much of their time.

Surely this guy and others would be better off realising that if they have good intentions, hand it in at the airport/store where you found it and where the person that lost it is more likely to ask if it has been handed in. He could also have handed it in at the reception of the hotel when checking in. The repercussions for him are quite severe, but the law is obviously there for a good reason and he could easily have avoided falling foul of it. When was he going to hand it in, after a shower and a good nights sleep, when he checked out, when he went back to the airport?

Old Hand มือเก่า

Not sure about the shower part Ian. Prejudice, hairist, dreadlockist...don't care what you say I am, I hate those dread lock looks. Shaving them off as you enter Thailand should be the law.

He could have handed it in quicker but jail!!! That's absurd. There are drunk drivers who get a fine and out the next morning in the same country. Stinks whiffy to me. Sgt. Somchai and his mates paying off Songkran holidays no doubts.

Member สมาชิก

I think most of us would have just handed it in at the airport or to the nearest Policeman. Going back to his room and leaving it there going out again really looks like he intended to keep it.

Being detained does seem a bit excessive, but also would have sent out a warning message to many over what some may consider a soft crime, I think he has learnt a harsh lesson, but also shows him a massive increase on the inconvenience that he may have caused to the person who had lost the phone and could have frantically being searching for it, contacting service providers/Police, arranging replacement and wondering what details might have been on there that need duplicating or contacting others over. All simply because he didn't do the right thing when he should of. Still going through the mess of sorting out Aom's phone and replacement, but still hoping it turns up without any further consequences. Before the loss of this phone I would have no doubt looked at this story in a different light.

Member สมาชิก

why not do a crowdfund for a new phone? Mr dreadlocks dad owns a golf course but they still raised 20k!

Blog Entries

why not do a crowdfund for a new phone? Mr dreadlocks dad owns a golf course but they still raised 20k!
    Why do you think his father owns a golf course?

Had the Thai police behaved properly he wouldn't have needed to crowdfund. Something smells about this story, I wonder if this had been a local if they would have ended up stuck in a cell for all that time?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

I wonder how much of the money went to the Police in order to get the charges dropped. The motivation for quite a bit of Police decisions here seem to be linked to money.
    Last month a bike hit us driving on the wrong side of the road, Police said it was our fault, pretty sure the driver of the other vehicle paid him to reach his decision, or rather his boss did. The rider was carted off to Hospital and never even interviewed. Things work differently here.

Member สมาชิก

Tobias see this link here:
    https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...e-theft-claim/

A quick look on companies house shows he is the director of said club.
    Pretty sure the dad of the girl who was in hospital in Thailand was well off too yet they both needed to set up crowdfunding and expecting people like you or me to contribute.

Blog Entries

I wonder how much of the money went to the Police in order to get the charges dropped. The motivation for quite a bit of Police decisions here seem to be linked to money.
    Last month a bike hit us driving on the wrong side of the road, Police said it was our fault, pretty sure the driver of the other vehicle paid him to reach his decision, or rather his boss did. The rider was carted off to Hospital and never even interviewed. Things work differently here.
    This is what I suspect, Dave. This story has an odour of racism, corruption and opportunism. Of course none of us here know what really is going on, this could all be above board and legitimate - but if there is a scam going on in all of this, who are the ones taking the advantage? The backpacker? His family? The lawyer? The police?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

Who knows, where the Royal Thai police are concerned?

Wai Phyo and Zaw Lin, the two Burmese men, almost certainly wrongfully convicted for the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller in Koh Tao in 2014, are facing their third year on death row at Bangkwang Central Prison, The Bangkok Hilton.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Had the Thai police behaved properly he wouldn't have needed to crowdfund. Something smells about this story, I wonder if this had been a local if they would have ended up stuck in a cell for all that time?
    You could say the same for the backpacker.

https://chiangmaione.com/phuping-pol...Hyn05k5r-N1SxE

Looking at this image, it makes you wonder what all the fuss is about.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

The phone itself belongs to a female German tourist and Dodd had changed the password on the phone, deleted personal information on the phone and changed the language to English.
    Wish he should have got more severe consequences then and should have been made to compensate the German tourist for deleting her personal information!

Old Hand มือเก่า

I agree wholeheartedly in regards to the nightmare losing or having a phone stolen causes. My wife had hers pinched minutes after she left it in a cafe and walked out. She's not the greatest at saving photos and stuff so to have so many memories taken away for a moment of carelessness was awful.

Like so many crimes committed, the disregard of any emotion or feelings by the crook seems to anger us nearly as much as the crime itself.

This whole episode serves to reinforce what anybody who's dealt with the Thai muppets in uniforms already know. They are corrupt, incompetent and a law unto themselves. I see them as a poison on Thai society yet Thais don't help themselves to get rid of them. In Kalasin, the same mob sit on the corner at the same time every day catching people without helmets and yet people ride past without helmets at the same time every day too.

Chicken and egg.