Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default Anyone know any Thai law?

Recently we were hit by another vehicle, he was on the wrong side of the road but the Police decided it was out fault, being paid by the other party may have been involved.
    At the station we were put under pressure to sign and admit fault even though we ere sure that was not the case. As an arm twister the Police said if we went to court they would keep the car at the station until it was over, and that if we lost we would not be covered by our insurance and would have to pay all costs. This was just outside Bangkok and nobody was seriously hurt.

Are the Police entitled to impound a car and if losing in court would that mean no insurance? Too late now but in future I think we would go to court if certain it was the other parties fault. We called the Insurance who turned up, unfortunately he was no use at all,

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

I would contact issan lawyers in Korat they are English speaking , and for the future front and rear dash cams cannot over emphasise the importance of them in Thailand.

Member สมาชิก

Did so they replied they are fully booked and cannot help, think we will not bother with the lawyer, they would just be another party making as much as they can out of a simple accident. Driver was at the Police station yesterday limping about, saw him later on the street- a miracle limp had gone. Expect he will drag it out for compo

Once the police have decided who is the blame, its very difficult (even in court) to get it reversed. I have heard that dash cams do help but I have also heard that if it shows information of speed, no matter if nothing to do with the accident, they charge you...……...
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Member สมาชิก

Been on at the Mrs to get a dash cam for ages but she would not have it, this changed her mind. If we had footage we could prove our case, then again maybe not as the Police just seem to ignore the land traffic act 1979, I wonder why! It's surprising how much you can get here if injured, Mrs cousin got his leg broken on a bike was awarded 500k, car driver was drunk and speeding.

I always advise to take out the very best insurance covering everything and with a high end broker or direct.
    Especially in Thailand. AXA do a very good job with local agents who guarantee to be in attendance (city) within 20 min. They give you a number manned 24/7 and you simply call and if the boys in brown want to talk you hand over the phone and they deal with it.
    The amount of stories Ive heard about people making deals with the police or visa versa to exploit a simple bump.
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Quote Originally Posted by ian1208 View Post
    I always advise to take out the very best insurance covering everything and with a high end broker or direct.
    Especially in Thailand. AXA do a very good job with local agents who guarantee to be in attendance (city) within 20 min. They give you a number manned 24/7 and you simply call and if the boys in brown want to talk you hand over the phone and they deal with it.
    The amount of stories Ive heard about people making deals with the police or visa versa to exploit a simple bump.
    Totally agree, I had an accident. I was in the wrong and the insurance people were brilliant. The Police were on the the side of the other party wanting me to sign all sorts of things. I refused, stood my ground of signing nothing until my broker and agent said I should. Agent sorted everything I had to pay a face saving 2000 baht down from the 275,000 baht they were asking. I got a ticket and fined 450 baht. This caused the most hassle as the cashier couldn't believe the fine was so low. TIT.

Dashcams are essential nowadays.

I was rear ended twice in six weeks in the same location with identical damage a few years back. Both times I was fortunate that the drivers hung around. The first held his hands up and all was easy. The second wriggled a bit and said I had reversed into him at the traffic lights. His insurance company disagreed with him and called me directly to settle the claim and fix the damage.

After that kind of luck, as soon as the car came back from the body shop, dashcams were fitted, front and back.