Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oh dear Oh dear Oh Dear. This thread gave me scary images of my 79 year old grandad coming back to the UK without his mrs and having to live at my house
    Seriously though where is this going to leave people like my grandad who have only just got 800k in the bank and a diminishing monthly income due to the poor exchange rate, can only just afford to live over there as it is and now either uninsurable or 10k baht a month for the privilige?
    He will be in a terrible position late in life unable to afford to live in the uk (no assets anymore) and unable to live in Thailand!
    I just dont understand the logic of the Thai government sometimes. I assume most expats are similar in that they potter in their gardens all day and just pump £800 a month into the Thai economy. They are making their country a really undesirable place to be.

Member สมาชิก

I'm convinced that they no longer want retirees. At least your grandad has you to offer accommodation in the UK. Some people may simply have no options.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Sammy Shrimper's Avatar

When this first raised it's head, there were rightly thousands of worried retiree's living here. Then it was confirmed that it didn't affect the people on an extension to stay, either based on marrige or retirement. I did however think it would only be a matter of time before it affected all retiree's. It didn't make sense to target a small group? Iv'e looked into sorting myself out and I found AXA Thailand insurance premiums fairly reasonable if you up your excess to 20,000 baht.
    As a side note, I do think these "Agents" will find a way around this. Way too much money being made to put a stop to the gravy train.
    Get busy living or get busy dying

thanks sammy, I just went onto AXA expat insurance and found that with £1000 excess my grandad would be expected to pay £453 per month at 79 years old.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Sammy Shrimper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    thanks sammy, I just went onto AXA expat insurance and found that with £1000 excess my grandad would be expected to pay £453 per month at 79 years old.
    Ouch!! My advice would be to use an agent. They have ways of sorting things out for a fraction of the cost your grandadis expected to pay. PM me if you need help.
    Get busy living or get busy dying

Using an agent might save money but its a huge risk when god forbid he may need to make a claim if there are lies on the application , insurance companies use any discrepancies to avoid payouts.

Just as immigration agents can ruin any chance of getting visas by fabricating evidence on visa applications.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Essex boys View Post
    I'm going to be applying for my Non immigrant O-A visa next year in February, just checked the suggested insurance companies as listed in the link above, I found one that would insure me for 16,000 thb for the year so looking at about £421...I guess that when you 'extend' your visa by leaving and then re entering Thailand just before your year visa expires, that you wouldn't then be asked to show your health insurance? If that's the case then it's not so bad, I'm hoping to get married to the gf within those two years and change my visa to a non immigrant O based on marriage. My gf works for the government and she said when we marry, her government health insurance would cover her husband. Anyway it's still another hoop to jump through and it's making Thailand less inviting for retirees.
    essexboys
    you would be required to have the insurance when applying for the OA, and then on each visit using that OA, and it seems for every extension within Thailand for 'retirement' but as it stands at the moment not for 'married ' extensions

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

Just checked with my bank (Bangkok Bank) they have a health insurance policy that will cover the 400,000 inpatient and the 40,000 outpatient requirements, this is 12,500 baht per annum, but increases after age 60 I think 60-65 premium rises to 17,000 per annum. Well worth checking with your Thai bank to see if they offer a health insurance policy.

Member สมาชิก

Or indeed opening a Bangkok Bank account ! That seems very well priced. However, is it just accident cover or full medical cover ?

Just checked with my bank (Bangkok Bank) they have a health insurance policy that will cover the 400,000 inpatient and the 40,000 outpatient requirements, this is 12,500 baht per annum, but increases after age 60 I think 60-65 premium rises to 17,000 per annum. Well worth checking with your Thai bank to see if they offer a health insurance policy.
    Kbank used to offer a credit card linked to health insurance. It wasn't a great deal as a credit card at the time, but if it kills two birds with one stone and all that...….
    'Tis me

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

It's for health insurance from Bangkok bank, they do a separate accident insurance which starts at about 1,200 baht annually, just had a quote from Pacific cross and they want 2,800 baht per month....

Blog Entries

... just had a quote from Pacific cross and they want 2,800 baht per month....
    It makes the UK’s NHS surcharge look like a veritable bargain.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa These companies offer the long stay Health Insurance in TH.
    bangkok mags

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    It makes the UK’s NHS surcharge look like a veritable bargain.
    And indeed it is a bargain !

AXA sent an Email today with a discount offer for the long stay Visa health insurance, maybe of help to someone, no idea of how much the discount is worth and no idea how much they charge. https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-Long-St...promo-longstay
    bangkok mags

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    AXA sent an Email today with a discount offer for the long stay Visa health insurance, maybe of help to someone, no idea of how much the discount is worth and no idea how much they charge. https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-Long-St...promo-longstay
    I have just sent that off. Once I get it, I will go to other companies and see what they offer.
    'Tis me