Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Sammy Shrimper's Avatar

Default Compulsory [Thai] health insurance for long stay visas.

Saw a report about this on tv today. Did a bit of research and it could be a problem for many ex-pats here. I managed to get some information from one of the recommended Thai insurance companys, ThaiVivat. I'm just under 60 so can get the cover for 46.000 baht. Once you get over 70 it gets expensive. The cover required is 40.000 baht out patient and 400.000 in patient. I must mention that this isn't in force yet. Yet being the oprerative word here. According to the tv report, it's been agreed by the relevent parties and is just waiting to be presented to the cabinet. Once agreed you will have to show your policy when renewing your long stay visa. I would imagine the older element will be getting worried about this latest development.

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/det...gnews/30360990

https://www.internationalinvestment....ndatory-expats
    Get busy living or get busy dying

Member สมาชิก

400k would not go far if you had cancer, you would need more like a million baht cover. Bent extensions are still on offer, so I'm sure there would be a way round this as well.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I heard this was formulated by the insurance companies themselves and promoted for business. We will see what the future holds but it's mostly rumour as far as I can make out. Maybe if true it's the the Thai Gov trying to get rid of the expats. When I look around over the past few years where I am I would estimate 25% have returned to or are planning to return to UK or Germany etc. also two German friends of mine have decided not to retire in Thailand after all both have bought houses here and one is definitely looking to sell. Very few houses these days are being sold to foreigners around here is it different elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    I heard this was formulated by the insurance companies themselves and promoted for business. We will see what the future holds but it's mostly rumour as far as I can make out.
    It's gone past the rumour stage. Now in force.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/deta...ional/30369323

Member สมาชิก

It is nonsense of course that foreigners with extensions are ripping off Hospitals by not paying. This looks like another nail in the coffin for me, at my age the cover, inflated to meet the 40k outpatients, would be over 100k baht a year. This would rise of course as you age. As I said 400k cover max is hopelessly underfunded so goodness knows what the 1 million you really need would set you back. This is something anyone thinking of retiring here needs to consider, along with the other detrimental changes.

It does say in force, but no details of a start date and as usual not even thought out. What about those too old to get insurance, or where the pre existing conditions mean nobody will insure them? The only people I have seen not being able to pay their Hospital bills are the irresponsible tourist coming here without travel insurance, then it's go fund me, I can think of another phrase for them.

A lot of foreigners staying in Thailand do not have 800,000bht in an account or proof of income they just buy their visa from an agent every year. This will just encourage more and more to do so and more to leave. This defeats the object totally but makes for great corruption. More people will get rich from this.

Member สมาชิก

We are thinking of moving to Spain, rather sick and tired of Thailand

this only applies to non immigrant 'O''A' visa issued from home countries, similar to the 10 year visa, it does not apply to multi entry non immigrant 'O' visas, yearly extension of stay based on age/retirement issued within Thailand or the same yearly extension issued for married to Thai national or having children

Member สมาชิก

They are starting off with A-O but if they can get that working I have little doubt they will extend it further.

I am due to renew my extension early July but will attempt to do it early June to give myself more time for any problems. From past experience there are no fast and set rules apart from 800,000bht and letter from bank and copy of house book. The rest all depends on who is in charge on the day and how it will be interpreted at that time and of course what one immigration office does may not be what another does.
    I will update to let people know how it went when it is done. There is also the requirement of having to prove you still have 800,000bht in your account 3 months after you have the ext. I was led to believe the money was so you buy medical care in an emergency but if you cannot touch it for half a year it sorts of makes that a joke (if it were funny).
    Dave and Lek have you looked into how easy it will be for your wife to live in Spain I assume like mine she is Thai? To be honest that was always the country I was going to retire to, then I met the missus.

Quote Originally Posted by steve187 View Post
    this only applies to non immigrant 'O''A' visa issued from home countries, similar to the 10 year visa, it does not apply to multi entry non immigrant 'O' visas, yearly extension of stay based on age/retirement issued within Thailand or the same yearly extension issued for married to Thai national or having children
    I've read that too. However i have only read it on another forum, not from any government or immigration source. I look at it this way, when they announced this Mandatory health insurance, they did say it was for people on a long stay visa who were over 50. I'm pretty sure they meant everybody, not just a small group who are on the O-A visa. I can't see they didn't mean the majority who are on the extension of stay based on retirement. I hope I am proved wrong, but until I see something from an official source, rather than read something a certain forum are bandying about I will remain sceptical.

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    Dave and Lek have you looked into how easy it will be for your wife to live in Spain I assume like mine she is Thai? To be honest that was always the country I was going to retire to, then I met the missus.
    Not as yet, not even told her about it. Going in Sept to see what's available to buy. Tired of Thailand.

I sympathize. Good luck in Spain I think property is similar to here in the fact that new builds are expensive and property through agents too. Property you find on your own or through the grapevine with ex-pats should be cheaper. I have an 11 year old so I think it would be tough for her to make a move,but they way things seem to be moving here you have to keep your options open. Good luck and if you can post what you find out.

My brother moved to Spain 3 yrs ago and rented until this March. He has now bought a smashing house 4 beds,garden shared pool for approx 150 K just south of Alicanti. Lots of ex pats in the area if you want. He feels very at home there. Has afordable health care and a car with no problems. Travelling back to the UK for visits is peanuts if you do it right. Could very well be the answer.
    Melnathan

I like sammy shrimpers line about a certain forum , i only recently looked at that and after 5 minutes on there begin to hate Thailand . i am in the process of retiring early but have yet to submit my forms to leave company pension scheme, i have had them for two weeks now, house built etc shipped over furniture last week but thy amount of visa hoops and now health insurance stuff is just making me think is it worth it. if i was single wouldnt even bother ,ive been to Brazil and Colombia in last year ,both a lot cheaper friendlier ,i would happily spend several months in each of them, however im not my wife enjoys her job in uk , daughter finishes school in June so im feeling pretty down ,was really looking forward to living quiet life growing a bit of fruit and veg bit of travelling but with Thai govt etc is it a bit risky ?.Spain or France might be on the cards , ill have to watch place in the sun lol.

Well did the extension of my visa on retirement Tuesday at Pattaya. I was not asked to prove any medical insurance and I have not been asked to return and prove I still have 800,000 bht in three months time. I will try to keep the 800,000 in my account incase they have forgotten to tell me as we got a bit distracted by another issue as my passport runs out before the 12 months ext runs out so i will have only 10 months.

it seems to have raised its ugly head again

look at point 5 below
    http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en...t-visas.html#7

Look at point 6 below

Attachment 7812

link to english version - http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0127_1.pdf

link to thai version - https://www.immigration.go.th/downlo...0519806090.pdf

Member สมาชิก

Yep, still some confusion as to how it applies exactly, but it is real.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

I'm going to be applying for my Non immigrant O-A visa next year in February, just checked the suggested insurance companies as listed in the link above, I found one that would insure me for 16,000 thb for the year so looking at about £421...I guess that when you 'extend' your visa by leaving and then re entering Thailand just before your year visa expires, that you wouldn't then be asked to show your health insurance? If that's the case then it's not so bad, I'm hoping to get married to the gf within those two years and change my visa to a non immigrant O based on marriage. My gf works for the government and she said when we marry, her government health insurance would cover her husband. Anyway it's still another hoop to jump through and it's making Thailand less inviting for retirees.
    essexboys

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Essex boys View Post
    I guess that when you 'extend' your visa by leaving and then re entering Thailand just before your year visa expires, that you wouldn't then be asked to show your health insurance?
    That is the big question. Some people say you do, others say you don't.