Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Question regarding marriage visitor Visa and Settlement Visa

Hi Folks. I am new to the forum, so hello there.

I wondered if someone could answer this question. We are currently attaining a marriage visa for marriage in the uk which has a 6 months limitation. Does anybody know if once you are married if you can apply for a settlement Visa before the marriage visa has expired if your girlfriend is back in Thailand ?

Cheers

Nick

Member สมาชิก

There's a decent guide here, they always reference applying from in the UK though

https://www.migrate.org.uk/flr-m-2018/

Quote Originally Posted by nickj1000 View Post
    Hi Folks. I am new to the forum, so hello there.

I wondered if someone could answer this question. We are currently attaining a marriage visa for marriage in the uk which has a 6 months limitation. Does anybody know if once you are married if you can apply for a settlement Visa before the marriage visa has expired if your girlfriend is back in Thailand ?
    I don't fully understand the question.

The marriage visa (often called a fiancée visa) is a settlement visa. You get the visa, travel to the UK and have the six months to get married. The visa that follows is called Further leave to remain (FLR) which is applied for from inside the UK and must be applied for before the fiancée visa expires. It last 30 months. Your wife will then need a second FLR before Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) which is applied for after she has lived in the UK for five years.

Your wife would be unable to travel outside while FLR is being decided, the way I understand it. It wasn’t a problem before the latest rule changes and the online application as the applicant's passport was kept by UKVI. Now they give it back to you because they have digital copies of everything.
    Last edited by rasg; 15th May 2019 at 10:59.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi there. Thanks for your reply. The Visa she is on is going to be a married visitor Visa so she can only stay in the UK for 6 months. We were half way through doing this when circumstances changed and we now want to settle in the UK but keeping to original marriage visitor Visa because it is quite advanced. The settlement visa we have to apply for when she is back in thailand and i am just not sure if we can apply while she already holds a marriage visitor visa. Complicated !

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Thanks i will have a read through !

Thanks i will have a read through !

Hi there. Thanks for your reply. The Visa she is on is going to be a married visitor Visa so she can only stay in the UK for 6 months. We were half way through doing this when circumstances changed and we now want to settle in the UK but keeping to original marriage visitor Visa because it is quite advanced. The settlement visa we have to apply for when she is back in thailand and i am just not sure if we can apply while she already holds a marriage visitor visa. Complicated !
    I understand the visa you are talking about now. You didn’t mention a marriage visit visa in your first post. Only marriage visa. What do you mean "keeping to original marriage visitor Visa because it is quite advanced." about this statement. Does she have this visa or is she currently applying for it? If she hasn’t applied

The way I understand it, the marriage visit visa is used for a couple who want to get married in the UK but don't want to settle in the UK. Essentially a visit visa with permission to marry.

The fiancée visa that my wife had that lasted for six months and allowed her to move to the UK, get married and the next visa is Further leave to remain that is applied for from within the UK before the fiancée expires. She didn't have to go home to Thailand but she wasn't allowed to work for the six months duration of the fiancée visa.

The fiancée visa route is an expensive way of doing things as it's an extra visa that is needed. Fiancée visa/FLR 30 months/FLR 30 months/ILR.

By marrying in Thailand the initial settlement visa is 33 months long then a single 30 month period of FLR, then ILR.

Settlement visas have to be applied for from Thailand and take around three months. FLR takes around 8 weeks but is applied for inside the UK. I've never heard of anybody doing things the way you are suggesting and I have no idea is it's possible. The only difference is where you get married. My guess is that it is ok but wiser people will no doubt come along and give you their input.

I don't think it would be an issue applying for a settlement visa while your girlfriend is on a married visa at all. My wife had overlapping visit visas a while back.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi there. You have got this right. Thisa is having an interview with VFS in Bangkok next week as we have already submitted the marriage visit Visa when we had planned 50 / 50 in the UK and in Thailand. So we are going ahead with this as it is a big process. But now my domestics have changed and we will be seeking her to move to the UK on a settlements Visa a soon as is feasible after weare are married. From what you have said you think that although we have married and the current married visit visa is still active we can still apply for the settlement visa if thisa is my wife and back in bangkok?? I appreciate we cannot know everything for sure!

I think you can. I'm surprised that nobody else has contributed yet.

If you don't need to get married in the UK surely it would be worth cancelling the appointment, getting married in Thailand and going for a settlement visa?

Rookie มือใหม่

We thought about that but we have already planned 3 months in the UK and have made arrangements and i cannot go to thailand for more than a few weeks due to recent family issues. i think it would take a little more time to marry in thailand ?? Thanks for your help on this

Member สมาชิก

I got married in Thailand last month, if you want to it can be done quickly and easily. I would warn you strongly against getting your info from someone who married a while ago or information published online. Officially the system has not changed but in practice it has... If it is an option you are considering send me a p.m and I will give you some tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    If it is an option you are considering send me a p.m and I will give you some tips.
    Bad idea.

Post your questions here, so errors can be corrected and EVERYONE benefits from the answers.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Member สมาชิก

pretty sure there wont be any errors, I got married last month in Bangkok

But you've had problems with your visa application. I agree with Keith.

From what you have said you think that although we have married and the current married visit visa is still active we can still apply for the settlement visa if this a is my wife and back in bangkok?? I appreciate we cannot know everything for sure!
    At the worst your current visa will probably be expired early when the new application is granted. As long as your wife is back in Thailand I doubt there is an issue. It would be good to get Tobias's input, if he knows of course. Your original post didn't definitely say that you were already married. People change there minds according to their circumstances all the time.