Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Trying To Get A Credit Card For My Wife

Hi all, Was wondering if anyone has applied successfully for a credit card while their Thai wife/ girlfriend is on a settlement visa/flmr .
    My wife has been provisionally accepted for one, but with very high apr %.
    We having problems submitting proof as uk passport or driving licence is required.

My wife has lived in the uk for just under 3 years.

Only reason i am having her apply for a credit card is to get her credit score started, And by having a credit card and paying anything in full will get her score healthy.
    She has a job with regular weekly pay paid into her bank account.

My wife has no direct debits coming out of her account, Which i could change to get her credit score started maybe.
    Look forward to any replies
    Holty

I know somebody in his 50s, here in the UK, who owns three houses etc etc and he had problems buying some furniture on credit a few years ago. His credit rating was non existent as he had always paid cash for everything.

Get her phone contract in her name. (Probably the easiest to start with). The only credit cards she is likely to get are the high interest cards for people with poor ratings. If she pays it off in full each month she wouldn't be paying interest. Try Metro Bank for a credit card. They are far more relaxed about giving an account to people with a non existent credit rating. She might have to open a current account first.

Yeah i explained to her paying in full she wont be charged interest.
    We both have sim card deals and the savings is so good.

The card she got provisionally accepted with is with Aqua, but have interest rates over 50%. very high i know
    uk passport or driving licence is the issue, going to phone later and see if her brp card will be accepted for id.

Quote Originally Posted by holty View Post

The card she got provisionally accepted with is with Aqua, but have interest rates over 50%. very high i know
    uk passport or driving licence is the issue, going to phone later and see if her brp card will be accepted for id.
    It's if she doesn't pay in full each month that things get expensive. Easy to set up a DD to pay it automatically. Check the small print for hidden charges!

Every company is different for the ID they will accept. You can only ask.

Her brp card is accepted rasg
    Gets her started, Means i earn extra brownie points now

Excellent.

Can she still apply for a provisional license? That's what we did for my then partner to help with ID.
    'Tis me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by holty View Post

If she intends to pay in full each month the APR is irrelevant, in any event an APR of 50% is a tad under 3.5% per month.

Did they say why they wouldn’t accept her Thai passport as ID? That makes no sense, their job is to establish identity; there is nothing in law that requires that identity to be Britsh!
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Yes she can caller, I need to get that arranged.
    I keep forgetting ha ha

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Tobias they never said why they wouldn't accept her Thai passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    If she intends to pay in full each month the APR is irrelevant, in any event an APR of 50% is a tad under 3.5% per month.

Did they say why they wouldn’t accept her Thai passport as ID? That makes no sense, their job is to establish identity; there is nothing in law that requires that identity to be Britsh!
    Probably for the same reason that many shops will not accept Scottish bank notes.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    Probably for the same reason that many shops will not accept Scottish bank notes.
    I don't follow, whilst Scottish banknotes are legal currency, they do not hold legal tender status in the UK (including Scotland!) which means shops are not legally obliged to accept them if they choose not to.

A foreign passport is absolute proof of the holder's identity, if a bank is only concerned in establishing a person's identity I see no reason in law why a foreign passport cannot be accepted as proof of identity.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My wife has no direct debits coming out of her account
    What bank is she with? Could she not apply for a credit card with her own bank? Being an existing customer I would imagine would go a long way to getting a credit card?
    Does she have any other store cards or anything that would help with her credit history? As above a phone contract will help too. My Mrs got her own phone contract after being here for a couple of years. It was pretty easy. At that time she also had little/no credit history. She initially had to pay a £200 deposit which just meant she didn't receive a bill for a few months then went onto the standard monthly payments.

Old Hand มือเก่า

I know its not a credit card but i have one for her with capital all be it im in control its still in her name second card no problem .
    also my wife's name is on the sole account for gas/elec and now virgin media so i would say its just takes time name on mortgage and her bank sends a Barclay card application form every month pre approved and letters about overdrafts and loans havent gone into to much detail as we dont need them .

My wife banks with Barclays like i do.
    She often gets barclaycard letters to join, We tried to apply before but got turned down for not being a uk resident for three years.
    We both have sim card only contracts, Which is all in my name. I could change hers to be taken from her bank account.

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    What bank is she with? Could she not apply for a credit card with her own bank? Being an existing customer I would imagine would go a long way to getting a credit card?
    That’s basically what my wife did. After having her own bank account with them for a while, she applied for a credit card from them and was granted straight away. I monitor her CC account though and make sure everything is paid on time as we all know what Thai girls can be like with money

It's so easy to automate a payment to a CC company. My wife has no need for a credit card and has told me numerous times. She would rather save for something she wants rather than borrow. Not that she needs to. What's mine is hers, and what’s hers is hers.

What's mine is hers, and what’s hers is hers.
    I used to think that too and my wife informed me that I was wrong and it was her New Years resolution to allow me to treat my money as my own, just before the January Sales begun...

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    A foreign passport is absolute proof of the holder's identity, if a bank is only concerned in establishing a person's identity I see no reason in law why a foreign passport cannot be accepted as proof of identity.
    They may be concerned that they cannot identify fakes among foreign passports. Similarly, some shops don't accept £20 notes as there are so many forgeries about and they are not confident that they can spot them. (Legal tender is about being unable to refuse money offered in repayment of a debt. Shops can refuse to accept £20 notes whether they are Scottish or not. Money offered to shopkeepers is not offered in repayment of a debt, unless someone is settling an account, so it is a commercial decision for the shop what to accept or not.) It is a decision for the credit card company what ID they accept.
    Last edited by Big AL; 7th Jun 2019 at 21:49.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big AL View Post
    They may be concerned that they cannot identify fakes among foreign passports ...
    It’s about establishing identity, if a foreign passport is presented a bank only needs to inspect the document to see if it has been tampered with, they would take a photocopy of it and place it in their records. They would then have completed due diligence, along with proof of address, to establish identity and comply with the KYC and money laundering regulations.

Refusing to accept a foreign passport could expose a bank to claims of rejecting applications on the grounds of race or ethnicity

Quote Originally Posted by Big AL View Post
    ... some shops don't accept £20 notes as there are so many forgeries about and they are not confident that they can spot them. (Legal tender is about being unable to refuse money offered in repayment of a debt. Shops can refuse to accept £20 notes whether they are Scottish or not. Money offered to shopkeepers is not offered in repayment of a debt, unless someone is settling an account, so it is a commercial decision for the shop what to accept or not.) It is a decision for the credit card company what ID they accept.
    Not quite, the shop would have to demonstrate some compelling reason why it could not accept a £20 not if it is a cash business.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Old Hand มือเก่า

I would say to gain a credit card in the UK is the same to whoever apply s the rules that is .
    Address for 4 years
    Working and proof of earnings
    Good credit score ie bills are paid like my wife she has virgin media she sailed through the credit check .
    Which now is credit building .
    I would say the only thing which could have an effect is not on the voting register.but that would only reduce the credit score a little .