Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Old Trinity B1 test for ILR

Hi all,

My wife has her LITUK test booked for this weekend. Is she passes we will probs go for ILR asap, as her current (third) FLRM expires in January.

With that in mind I'm think whether or not she will need to pass a new B1 English test.

The certificate she currently holds is the Trinity College B1 test in graded English which she passed back in 2013. She has used this for her two previous FLRM applications. However, there is no SELT reference on the certificate as I think this was brought in after she did the Trinity test.

So basically can she use her old Trinity test cert or will she have to take another test to obtain a SELT reference for the ILR application?

Many Thanks

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

I've just found the following statement on the gov website. The second instance suggests her old test certificate will be accepted but I'm still doubting myself. Does the fact she doesn't have an SELT ref number mean her old test is not one of those on the current list........

"Applying to settle in the UK
    You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if BOTH of the following are true:

it’s on the current list of recognised tests

it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter"

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Hi steve
    I think her b1 will be ok.
    Dangs b1 didnt have the selt number either when she applied for ilr. I hope she passes and if so when you send all the docs needed they dont send the lituk pass doc bk. I copied dangs before applying. We also used the check and send service as well and nothing was said about no selt number. X

Blog Entries

Thanks tangmo when was Dangs application? I believe it's all online now which is why I think we'll need an SELT reference as that's how they verify the certificate online

I think she's going to have to take another test TBH

Old Hand มือเก่า

Tom and nok are the best to answer this maybe send him a PM .

Your answer is here:

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/...qualifications

It is fine. She used it for two FLR visas and Trinity is still on the approved list for English tests.

Thanks steve. There are some letters and numbers on her b1 cert if you have a look. When dang used to post docs she just put some of the info from her b1 cert and shes never had a problem. Its quite costly as you know for a 10 minute chat. X

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    Your answer is here:

It is fine. She used it for two FLR visas and Trinity is still on the approved list for English tests.
    That's what I thought initially. However, I asked the same question of trinity and just received this reply.....

Thank you for your email enquiry.

Unfortunately, to the best of our knowledge, this qualification is no longer valid for UKVI applications.
    This is because it was not taken under the new SELT conditions.
    The SELT conditions were updated by the UKVI on 06/04/2015.
    From November 2015 the UKVI have stipulated that all candidates must take their exam under these conditions if they are making UKVI applications with their qualifications.
    We would, however, ask you to check this information with the Home Office directly, as each case is reviewed individually and there are certain exceptions to this guideline.
    Please do not hesitate to get in touch if we can assist you further.

Call me pessimistic but this is one of those situations that could be read differently depending on what agent looks at the case.

Unless I can somehow get something concrete to back it up we may have to just bite the bullet and take another test just to be safe. Hmmm

Blog Entries

So I called UKVI for clarification. Sadly I'm no further forward. They weren't able to tell me one way or another if my wife's cert would be accepted.
    They acknowledged that it met the criteria of being used for a previous application, and also that Trinity College is still on the list, but they couldn't answer if we would be able to apply without a SELT reference number.
    They first advised me to contact Trinity to ask them....which I have already done as above. I told them I had done that and Trinity had advised me to get confirmation from UKVI.
    The only further advice they could give was to fill in the online application form to see if it would let us go any further when prompted for the SELT reference

Why can't they just accept any test which has been used in previous applications and leave it at that?? Very frustrating

If you’re unsure then I would just pay the £150 to get the test done again.
    I wouldn’t want to risk losing the £2600+ fee for them to say it isn’t valid.

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    So I called UKVI for clarification. Sadly I'm no further forward. They weren't able to tell me one way or another if my wife's cert would be accepted.
    They acknowledged that it met the criteria of being used for a previous application, and also that Trinity College is still on the list, but they couldn't answer if we would be able to apply without a SELT reference number.
    They first advised me to contact Trinity to ask them....which I have already done as above. I told them I had done that and Trinity had advised me to get confirmation from UKVI.
    The only further advice they could give was to fill in the online application form to see if it would let us go any further when prompted for the SELT reference

Why can't they just accept any test which has been used in previous applications and leave it at that?? Very frustrating
    That is ridiculous when UKVI themselves can’t answer the question. Take a look at this link:

Have you tried creating an ILR application and inputting that you have a certificate?

Blog Entries

I agree and think she'll have to do it again. The 4hr round trip & £150 will be a pain in the backside but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    It's going to be an absolute delight explaining this to the wife ???? Best wait until she's (hopefully) passed LITUK test on Saturday then I'll break it to her gently ????

Thanks rasg I've read & re-read the statement on the link and my fear is that a jobsworth will decide my wife's test is not on the current list as it's not the SELT version of the Trinity test. Unfortunately I now feel the only way to be sure is to do a new test and get a SELT reference number for the application. Looks like a trip to Leeds

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post

Unfortunately I now feel the only way to be sure is to do a new test and get a SELT reference number for the application. Looks like a trip to Leeds
    I make you right there mate. Better safe than sorry.
    Is Leeds the nearest place to you? Bit of a schlep all the way down there!
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Blog Entries

Yeah Biff Leeds is the closest, about 1hr45mins drive. There are only 10 test centres. A long way to go for a ten min chat! First one was in Manchester though so at least it's a little but closer ????

Old Hand มือเก่า

Totally agree with you Toddmeister ,what a pain but not worth the risk and you are right a ten min chat i do have a feeling it would be ok but better safe then sorry .I would say its the time frame and not many will be in this situation hopefully you and the misses will gain ILR then you wont have to deal with these again .good luck

Blog Entries

Hi again all

So my wife passed her LITUK test today

I've been looking at the Home Office Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK guidance document regarding our B1 issue and the wording regarding use of expired test certificates is different. To me its more definitive and suggests it would be accepted. This refers to applications made after November 2015

Indefinite leave applications

The English language test must have been taken no more than 2 years before the date of application. However, tests that have been taken more than 2 years ago and have since expired, can still be accepted where the qualification:

• is from one of the providers on the current SELT list -
    which her old cert is (Trinity College London)
    • has previously been accepted by us as part of another immigration application,such as for entry clearance. -
    which has been used for her two previous FLRM applications

A qualification that is not from one of the providers on the current SELT list, is not acceptable even if previously accepted by us as part of another application

https://assets.publishing.service.go...L-v21.0ext.pdf

It then goes on to the evidence section.......

For tests taken before 6 April 2015, one of the following pieces of evidence isacceptable:

• a certificate from an approved English language test provider showing:
    o the applicant's name
    o the qualification obtainedo they have reached B1 of the CEFR in speaking and listening or above
    o the date of award

Again all of which my wifes certificate has.

That is pretty much what the .gov link said that I posted.

Blog Entries

The wording on your link is only slightly different but could be taken in a different way. On the .gov link it just says
    "It's on the current list of recognised TESTS"
    In the guidance notes to me it reads much more definitely "is from one of the current PROVIDERS from the SELT list"

Well done janny so pleased for you. Send her b1 in steve i am sure it will be accepted. Get her ilr then citizenship then no more money to the government.xx