Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BLS London - Schengen visa for Spain

This morning Nok and I visited the BLS centre in London for her Schengen visa application appointment for Spain - we have a trip planned for October. We are applying for an EU family member multi-entry visa as I'd like to take Nok to Berlin in February. I have the advantage of holding an Irish passport so our EU family member travel rights will be unaffected post-Brexit.

We had already completed the new online application form and printed it out. The BLS clerk required the following which I had already prepared in advance along with originals for him to have sight of:

- the application form which we had printed;
    - photocopies of the biometric pages of our passports;
    - Nok's Thai passport;
    - sight of my Irish passport;
    - photocopy of Nok's UK BRP card and sight of the original;
    - photocopy of our Thai marriage certificate and sight of the original;
    - photocopy of the marriage certificate translation into English and sight of the original (this translation was also stamped by the Thai MFA in Bangkok and has a Certificate of Legalisation from the British Embassy in Bangkok);
    - print out of our package holiday details to prove that we are travelling and staying together;
    - passport photo of Nok.

I also had a copy of our travel insurance which the clerk said that he didn't need although he included it in the pouch for the Spanish Embassy anyway.

I was somewhat surprised when the clerk told me that BLS no longer allows you to collect the passport from their office in person once the Schengen visa has been issued even though the web site says that this is possible. The passport is now returned "by courier" and so the processing fee is payable is £40.65 instead of £13.75. A nice little earner for BLS. I paid under protest.

Nok's biometrics were taken (fingerprints and photo) and off we went for a stroll around the grounds of the nearby Inns of Court on a pleasant and sunny Tuesday morning. The fees issue aside, the whole process went smoothly and took around 25 minutes.

I'll be interested to see how long it will take to issue the visa given the indicative target time set out in Directive 2004/38/EC.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

About 5 days if you are lucky. Good job you didn't say you know of a Melnathan as they don't like me in there. They always insisted on travel insurance and even have a machine for that purpose however you were well prepared well done.
    We go to Spain on Sunday with our 6 month visa which is a first. I like the courier bit. It is really your postman in disguise , hope your in 9ie at home) to sign for letter.
    Just a question, as you will have a visa for Spain can you go to Germany 4 months later on the same visa? Or does multi entry mean many trips to Spain only. Normally Spain give only 1 month. Please keep in contact.
    Thanks Melnathan

Old Hand มือเก่า

As long as Spain is the first port of entry usually the rules then you can travel any where afterwards in the EU ,on the fees my wife's postage was around £15 mark i have posted the exact fees somewhere on here for her German schengen visa.
    Yes tom that is what they need the print out of the holiday is Spain pulling a fast one .
    Maybe its the confusion when our wife's go through non EU and the officers ask were is your husband and they get the reply outside having a cig or collecting the cases as he just walked through .But you should get it in a week i used visametric in Manchester fantastic 5 mins and did not need insurance and bookings .
    Also i did note the processing fees around the UK were all different Manchester being the cheapest at around £6.
    On a note my wife only got to 31st October .which was around 19 weeks strange .

As long as Spain is the first port of entry usually the rules then you can travel any where afterwards in the EU
    or the main destination
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    or the main destination
    you are correct Ash it does say that but we both know that could be open to abuse .

Quote Originally Posted by melnathan View Post
    About 5 days if you are lucky. Good job you didn't say you know of a Melnathan as they don't like me in there. They always insisted on travel insurance and even have a machine for that purpose however you were well prepared well done.
    We go to Spain on Sunday with our 6 month visa which is a first. I like the courier bit. It is really your postman in disguise , hope your in 9ie at home) to sign for letter.
    Just a question, as you will have a visa for Spain can you go to Germany 4 months later on the same visa? Or does multi entry mean many trips to Spain only. Normally Spain give only 1 month. Please keep in contact.
    Thanks Melnathan
    Nok's Thai passport and Schengen visa has just arrived at 8am today courtesy of the Royal Mail. A very fast turnaround as we lodged the application at the BLS (rip-off) centre on Tuesday and today is Friday.

The Spanish Embassy has granted her a 6 month multi-entry Schengen visa which runs from 22 October (when we leave for Spain) through to 18 April 2020. This will cover us for our planned trip to Berlin in February. A Schengen multi-entry visa issued by Spain can be used for entry to any Schengen state, not just Spain.

Hey Tom,
    I had two previous Schengens for my Thai Wife to visit me in the Netherlands. The first visit was a single entry for the duration of 90 days. The second was a multi entry, even though we didn't ask for it but was nice, she used approximately 80 days of it. But I was under the impression that if they leave the Schengen area and then return, then we are 'Technically' obliged to inform the authorities that they are planning a second visit, although I'm not sure on the actual correct process for this or indeed if it is true.......maybe something for you to look into before you head out to Germany perhaps.....

Once the schengen visa is issued if its multi entry then it can be used to visit any schengen state and there is no requirement to inform anyone that you are planning a second visit. The only issue can be if you have a schengen visa from e.g Germany if you did not visit Germany they might refuse a second visa.

We had a number of Schengen visas from Germany when we lived in Switzerland and on the first one we had a sticker reminding us of the requirement to enter Germany first on all subsequent visas this was not mentioned

Tom glad everything happened quickly however I still wonder if the visa for Spain in October is one trip and you are only going to Spain and then 3 months later you go to Germany and not coming from Spain on that trip. I am aware that a schengen is for all in the schengen area but available without a 3 month brake. I await every ones thoughts.
    Melnathan

According to the EU's official Schengen FAQ's, the holder of a Schengen multi-entry visa may enter and leave the Schengen Area as often as they like as long as they adhere to the 90/180 day rule.

The 90/180 rule is that they may not spend more than 90 days in total in the Schengen Area in any 180 day period. They must also leave the Schengen Area on or before their visa's expiry date.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Nok View Post

The 90/180 rule is that they may not spend more than 90 days in total in the Schengen Area in any 180 day period. They must also leave the Schengen Area on or before their visa's expiry date.
    Not sure thats the case we always read that as being country specific and given we visited the schengen area on a daily basis from Switzerland never had a problem. Over 90 days you did need a long term country specific visa.

... we always read that as being country specific and given we visited the schengen area on a daily basis from Switzerland never had a problem
    I'm not sure how long ago that was, Ash, but Switzerland has been treated as being part of the Schengen area since the 1st of July 2013 according to the EU commission.

According to the EU's own official Schengen FAQs (Q7): "The Schengen visa is a short stay visa and takes the form of a sticker affixed to the travel document. The definition of “short stay” is a stay of "90 days in any 180 days period". This means that the total duration of stay is of maximum 90 days, in any period of 180 days".

The number of days ("Duration of stay") given on the Schengen visa represents the total number of days that a person may stay in the Schengen area, not a specific country, again according to the European Commission ("How to read the visa sticker").

2008 -2012 given there were no entry exit checks anyway it was irrelevant plus we had a 5 year multi entry visa

I have just returned from Spain ( sorry with the wife ) with a Schengen visa, can I go to Iceland ( Denmark ) in January on the same visa ie its a 6 month multi as I am under the impression you can only go from country to country on the same trip .
    Melnathan

yes you can

Old Hand มือเก่า

2008 -2012 given there were no entry exit checks anyway it was irrelevant plus we had a 5 year multi entry visa
    of course you can seems Spain is giving out visa s for fun were Germany only till Brexit day .I am sure another poster only got till 31/10/2019 same as me anyway Germany Tuesday so we see if any problems i doubt it seeing as our friends have always been lapsed on security and checking passports .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by melnathan View Post
    I have just returned from Spain ( sorry with the wife ) with a Schengen visa, can I go to Iceland ( Denmark ) in January on the same visa ie its a 6 month multi as I am under the impression you can only go from country to country on the same trip .
    Melnathan
    Well, that depends on Brexit and whether or not there is a deal. If there is a deal she will almost certainly be able to travel on the visa she has now. If there is no deal, then it is likely she will have to apply (and pay) for another visa.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Well, that depends on Brexit and whether or not there is a deal. If there is a deal she will almost certainly be able to travel on the visa she has now. If there is no deal, then it is likely she will have to apply (and pay) for another visa.
    maybe as well with UK nationals who knows but i am shocked that Spain have give these visas were Germany has not .hopefully all gets sorted and we can get on with looking after the UK rather then spend time on a mess brought on by ourselves i thought my ex wife played hard ball .ps i go Germany this week so might get the chance to have a few beers with locals and take there view on it .

I suspect that Spain granted my wife a 6 month multi-entry Schengen visa (Oct 2019 to April 2020) because she applied as the family member of an EU citizen and I used an Irish passport and not a UK passport as proof of EU citizenship.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Nok View Post
    I suspect that Spain granted my wife a 6 month multi-entry Schengen visa (Oct 2019 to April 2020) because she applied as the family member of an EU citizen and I used an Irish passport and not a UK passport as proof of EU citizenship.
    Correct, her visa was granted based on your (Irish) nationality and so Brexit will not affect that visa even if issued in the UK.
    Tobias - โทเบียส